Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #381
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,147 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

And the good news just keeps on rolling in...

Quote:
Malkin out Thursday against Devils
Wednesday, 01.19.2011 / 2:23 PM / News NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=549933

The Pittsburgh Penguins have already been playing without captain Sidney Crosby, but they will also be without their other All-Star center against the New Jersey Devils on Thursday.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said Evgeni Malkin will not play against the Devils because of an undisclosed injury. Pittsburgh is expected to recall a center to take his place.

"[Malkin] will not be going on the trip with us for [Thursday's] game," Bylsma told reporters. "He's getting evaluated today. He's not feeling well and getting evaluated."

Malkin is third on the Penguins in goals with 15 and points with 37. He hasn't scored a goal in the past six games, or since Crosby went out with a concussion. The Penguins lost their first three games without the League's leading scorer, but have won three straight and trail the Philadelphia Flyers by three points for the top spot in the Atlantic Division and the Eastern Conference.

One of the reasons for Pittsburgh's surge is the return to form by the team's other top center, Jordan Staal. After making his season debut at the Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic against the Washington Capitals, Staal went pointless in his first five contests but has 3 goals and 6 points during the winning streak.

"We've had games with just Sid, and we've had games with just [Malkin]. And now we're going to go with just Jordan," Bylsma said. "Well we're going to be recalling a player to fill the void. It's going to be power-play minutes and a center position. It's going to be a bit of a challenge. Mark Letestu is going to have to play a bigger role. Chris Conner and lots of guys are going to have to play more minutes to fill the void of the 20 minutes and the position that [Malkin] plays for us on the ice."

Conner scored on a penalty shot for the Penguins in a 4-1 victory Tuesday against Detroit. He has 6 goals and 10 points in 30 games for Pittsburgh. Letestu has 9 goals and 19 points in 47 games, and signed a two-year, $1.25 million contract extension before the game against the Red Wings.

Bylsma said he "didn't have a feeling either way" about the potential for Malkin's injury to linger. After leading the NHL with 113 points in 2008-09, Malkin played in only 67 games last season and dealt with various injuries en route to a career-low 77 points.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #382
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Dustin Jeffrey got the call up to replace Malkin in the game against the Devils tonight. He'll be centering the 1st line with Kunitz and Dupuis.

Quote:
It looks like Dustin Jeffrey will get a shot with the big boys. Jeffrey assumed Malkin's spot (and previously Crosby's) centering a line between Kunitz and Dupuis. No changes for the rest of the lineup.

Kunitz-Jeffrey-Dupuis
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Rupp-Talbot-Conner
Adams-Letestu-Asham
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Johnson will be in net for tonights game as well.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #383
mcg24
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17631

Apparently Jeffrey is going to be playing quite a bit tonight, he's going to really need to step up.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #384
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcg24 View Post
Apparently Jeffrey is going to be playing quite a bit tonight, he's going to really need to step up.
Yeah...too bad nobody really stepped up tonight lol. I didn't expect much out of this game though. As soon as the Dev's hired Lemaire back, I knew they'd go straight back to their trap game, and that's what they did tonight as soon as they scored the first goal. It used to be hard enough to beat them when they did that with Geno and Sid in the lineup.

This was the first time ever that both of those guys have ever been out (along with Fleury not being in the line up...though apparently that wouldn't have mattered either). So this is basically the first time ever that Staal's line has seen the kind of (sustained) defensive pressure it saw tonight.

Talbot did his best to step up in a big way tonight, but it just wasn't happening.

Hopefully Geno is back for Saturday's game against Carolina. I'm 99.9% sure Sid won't be back by then. We'll be lucky to see him back before the All Star break I think.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #385
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Still no Malkin on the ice today as he's recovering from a sinus infection and knee injury. No Sid either for tonights game against the Canes either (obviously).

Time for Staal's line to really step up!
Old 01-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #386
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens won tonight (3-2) over the Canes. Good game all around, even though Fleury let in a couple at the end (I'll forgive him b/c of the pic posted below). Scoring came from Jeffrey (4 on 4), Letestu (powerplay) and Dupuis (shorthanded), so it was a big night for the special teams...and very much needed.

Gotta love Flower.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #387
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Fleury let in a couple at the end (I'll forgive him b/c of the pic posted below).
Gotta love Flower.

2 years ago, before a Steeler playoff game

Old 01-22-2011, 10:54 PM   #388
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

It's a sign.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #389
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
It's a sign.
"... as I have foreseen-it...

Hmm-hah???"
Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #390
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Crosby to miss NHL All-Star Weekend
MONDAY, 01.24.2011 / 11:11 AM / 2011 NHL ALL-STAR GAME - PRESENTED BY DISCOVER NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=550443

The Pittsburgh Penguins have announced Sidney Crosby will not play in the 2011 All-Star Game presented by Discover due to the concussion that has sidelined him for nearly three weeks.

"Sidney is making progress in his recovery but still is not completely symptom-free," Penguins General Manager Ray Shero said. "The Penguins organization has decided that he will not attend the NHL All-Star Weekend and instead will continue to relax and recuperate in the hopes of returning to our lineup soon.

"I know Sidney is very honored to have been selected by the fans to appear in the All-Star Game, and he was happy to attend the festivities two years ago when he couldn't play because of a knee injury. However, in this situation -- when he has not even skated for 2 1/2 weeks and still has not been cleared to resume physical activity -- we think it's best for him to focus totally on his recovery.

"I spoke with Brendan Shanahan of the NHL office and informed him of our decision. Brendan was very understanding and offered Sidney his best wishes for a quick return to the lineup."

Crosby, who was the leading vote-getter in fan balloting for the All-Star Game, will miss his ninth straight game Tuesday when the Penguins host the New York Islanders. He has not been cleared to resume physical activity and there's no timeline set for his return to action.

He suffered the injury when he was hit into the boards by the Tampa Bay Lightning's Victor Hedman during a game on Jan. 5.
Closed Thread