Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:00 PM   #451
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-320736

"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league...

... I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #452
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,394 Times in 1,122 Posts

Pens not in mood to make excuses
Sunday, 02.13.2011 / 8:10 PM / NHL Insider
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=552636

NEW YORK -- With a stiff upper lip the Pittsburgh Penguins are acting as if the elephant in the room is not the reason for their current slump.

Sure, any team that's missing Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin would have trouble winning, but the Penguins, who are missing so much more than just their two superstars right now, say the lineup and lack of star power are not the reasons for why they've lost four out of five and gave up 14 goals during a forgettable weekend trip to New York.

They followed Friday's fight-filled 9-3 loss on Long Island with a 5-3 loss to the Rangers at Madison Square Garden on Sunday.

"It shouldn't be," Max Talbot said when he was asked if opponents are finding it easy to play against the Penguins nowadays. "They're (Crosby and Malkin) obviously two of the best in the League and there are a lot of other guys that are hurt, but it's no excuse for us. Everybody in this dressing room has a role, everybody takes pride in playing the right way and we should be able to win some hockey games."

You have to love Talbot's optimism and he, like the rest of the Penguins, deserves credit for not using the obvious built-in excuse for their 1-4 slide. But, facts are facts and the Penguins are obviously easier to play against when Crosby and Malkin are not in the lineup. They become an even easier target when guys like Chris Kunitz, Mark Letestu, Arron Asham and the suspended Matt Cooke join the superstars on the sideline, giving way instead to five AHL call-ups who were all in the lineup Sunday at Madison Square Garden.

All told the Penguins played Sunday in front of a soldout Garden crowd without nine forwards when you add Dustin Jeffrey, Eric Tangradi and Eric Godard to the aforementioned Crosby, Malkin, Kunitz, Letestu, Asham and Cooke.

Seriously, name another team that would be able to overcome all of that?

"We have to find ways to win games and guys that are filling those roles like myself and other players, we all need to step up our game," Jordan Staal said. "Everyone on the team needs to elevate their game if we want to win games."

The problem is that hasn't been happening, and it's creating a double whammy against the Penguins.

Pittsburgh coach Dan Bylsma admitted he'd much rather have told the media the reason for Friday's loss to the Islanders and Sunday's loss to the Rangers had nothing to do with execution and everything to do with personnel, but he couldn't do it.

The Penguins, with almost no room for error, gave the Rangers six power play opportunities and surrendered goals on three of them. They scored on just one of their six power play chances.

"Special teams have been a big factor for our success and the lack thereof," Bylsma said. "If you lose the special teams battle, with the margin for error now, we're starting down a goal and that's not a recipe for success."

It didn't help that the Penguins this weekend were not good on the forecheck and couldn't execute in the offensive zone. After going up 2-0 just 5:06 into Sunday's game they couldn't sustain any pressure and looked frazzled after the Rangers got back in the game with back-to-back goals from Brian Boyle and Ryan Callahan.

"We made mistakes and had details in our game that we let go, and it gave them good opportunities to get goals," Bylsma said. "As a result we found ourselves down after getting up 2-0. We have to have those details regardless of who is in the game, and that was not there."

He feels he can get away with saying "regardless of who is in the game" because the minor leaguers he had to use Sunday -- Tim Wallace, Ryan Craig, Joe Vitale, Brett Sterling and Nick Johnson -- all play the same system as the Penguins in the AHL with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.

"You know what? With or without any guy in the lineup, we're the Pittsburgh Penguins right here and if we play the system and win the special teams battles we have a good chance to win the hockey game," Talbot said. "(Sunday) we lost it, so we lost the game."

All true, but it's hard to play the system when Bylsma clearly has to scale back and adjust due to the monumental changes in the lineup. The Penguins have no other choice now but to elevate their healthy and available NHLers into unfamiliar roles while filling out the lineup card with a bunch of minor leaguers.

It's commendable that they won't use the lineup as an excuse for their slump, but it is, indeed, a major, major reason.

"We can't go offense for offense against the other team because we won't get back in those games," All-Star defenseman Kris Letang told NHL.com. "We have to manage the puck properly and make sure we don't turn the puck over. If you don't turn it over you don't give them any chances. Right now they're all feeding off the turnovers we give or the poor decisions we make."

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 02-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #453
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Well...I guess we won't be seeing Forsberg when we play the Avalanche on Wednesday lol.

Quote:
Forsberg retiring from NHL
Monday, 02.14.2011 / 11:54 AM / News NHL.com
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=552668

Just two games into his latest comeback with the Colorado Avalanche, Peter Forsberg will announce his retirement from the NHL at a press conference Monday afternoon.

Forsberg was scoreless with a minus-4 rating in two games. He had three shots and played more than 17:30 in each game.

The two games he played were his first in the NHL since the end of the 2008 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #454
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

So Mario is getting ready to sell the team?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #455
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Bylsma: Two Years on the Job
Monday, 02.14.2011 / 11:58 PM / Features
By Sam Kasan
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=552701&navid=DL|PIT|home

View Dan Bylsma Photo Gallery

Today, Feb. 15, marks the two-year anniversary of the hiring of Dan Bylsma as head coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins. In just two seasons, he is one of the most successful coaches in team history.

Bylsma began the 2008-09 campaign with his first-ever head coaching job, with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League, and ended it by hoisting the Stanley Cup with Pittsburgh.

Bylsma led WBS to a 35-16-1-2 record before Penguins GM Ray Shero brought him to Pittsburgh on Feb. 15, 2009. "I got a call from Ray and he wanted to talk on my office phone," Bylsma said. "That five minutes was a whirlwind."

Bylsma was introduced to the team at their hotel and he was behind the bench for his first-ever NHL game as head coach the following afternoon. The rest, as they say, is history. But that history is still being written.

Here is a look back at some of Bylsma's monumental achievements so far:

Feb. 15, 2009 – Penguins hire Dan Bylsma as interim head coach.

Feb. 16, 2009 – Bylsma coaches first game with Penguins, 3-2 shootout loss, at Nassau Coliseum against New York Islanders.

Feb. 19, 2009 – Bylsma records first victory as NHL head coach, 5-4, over Montreal Canadiens at Mellon Arena.

Feb. 27 to March 8, 2009– Penguins record the best road trip in franchise history with a five-game sweep at Chicago, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Florida and Washington.

April 7, 2009– Penguins and Bylsma clinch playoff berth with 6-4 victory at Tampa Bay.

April 11, 2009 – Penguins end season with a 3-1 win at Montreal to finish the season with an 18-3-4 run under Bylsma, and locking up the fourth seed and home-ice advantage in the opening round of the NHL postseason.

April 15, 2009 – Penguins open playoffs with a 4-1 win over cross-state rival Philadelphia, Bylsma’s first postseason win as head coach.

April 25, 2009– Penguins eliminate Flyers and advance to second round with a 5-3 come-from-behind win at Philadelphia in Game 6 – Bylsma’s first playoff series victory.

April 28, 2009– Penguins GM Ray Shero removes the “interim” title from Bylsma, making him the official head coach for the foreseeable future.

May 26, 2009 – Pittsburgh records 4-1 win and a four-game sweep of Carolina Hurricanes in Eastern Conference finals to advance to the franchise’s fourth Stanley Cup, and second in two seasons.

June 12, 2009– The Penguins defeated the Red Wings, 2-1, in Game 7 at Detroit’s Joe Louis Arena to claim the organization’s third Stanley Cup title. Bylsma becomes only the third head coach to lead Pittsburgh to a Cup championship.

Bylsma also becomes the 14th rookie head coach, and just the fourth in the past 50 years, to capture the Stanley Cup. Of those 14, only Montreal’s Al MacNeil (1970-71) took over mid-season.

Sept. 12, 2009 – The Penguins open 2009 training camp, the first camp run by Bylsma as an NHL head coach.

Oct. 2, 2009– Penguins open the season with a 3-2 victory against the New York Rangers as the team raises its 2009 Stanley Cup banner.

Nov. 3, 2009– The Penguins beat the Ducks in Anaheim to open the season with a 7-0 road record, tying the franchise record for consecutive road wins.

Jan. 24, 2010– Penguins defeat Philadelphia 2-1 at Mellon Arena for Bylsma’s 50th career victory behind the bench. He becomes the eighth-fastest coach in NHL history to 50 wins (78 games).

April 11, 2010– The Penguins defeat the New York Islanders, 6-5 in overtime, to finish their first full season under Bylsma with a 47-28-7 record and 101 points – topping the 100-point barrier for the sixth time in team history.

April 24, 2010– Pittsburgh eliminates the Ottawa Senators in Game 6 of the quarterfinals with a 4-3 overtime triumph. The series win is the fifth straight for Bylsma, and his five series victories ties him with legendary coach Scott Bowman for most in team history.

May 8, 2010 – Bylsma’s Penguins beat the Montreal Canadiens, 2-1, to record his 23rd career postseason victory – trying him with Bowman as the franchise’s winningest coach in playoff history.

Nov. 17, 2010 – Pittsburgh defeats Vancouver, 3-1, igniting a historic run in team history.

Dec. 11, 2010– The Penguins defeat the Sabres in Buffalo, 5-2, for their 12th straight victory and stretches their unbeaten streak to 15 games (14-0-1). The 12 consecutive wins ties for the second-best streak in team history, and ties for eighth longest in NHL history.

The Penguins also win their seventh-straight road game, trying the franchise record previously done twice. Of the three times Pittsburgh has won seven consecutive road games, twice have come with Bylsma as head coach.

Jan. 25, 2011 – The Penguins blank the New York Islanders, 1-0, to record Bylsma’s 96th career win. That victory moves him into third place on the franchise’s all-time wins list, surpassing Bowman (95).

Feb. 10, 2011 – The Penguins knock off the Los Angeles Kings, 2-1 in overtime, for Bylsma’s 100th career victory. He becomes only the third Penguins coach to hit the 100-win mark. Bylsma is the fastest Penguins coach to 100 (163 games), while he ranks as the fifth-fastest in NHL history.

To be continued...

Old 02-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #456
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Still no good news on any injury situations (except that Letestu is skating)...

Quote:
12:49 PM: Head coach Dan Bylsma started his media scrum with a plethora of updates on the Pens' injured players.

"(Arron) Asham, still with an upper-body, is day-to-day.

Chris Kunitz (is rehabbing) and getting better. (It's) still a lower-body injury and he's day-to-day.

Dustin Jeffrey was fitted for a brace and will likely be back on the ice skating later this week or the weekend.

Mark Letestu skated lightly today on his own without any gear, so he's returned to the ice.

(Eric) Tangradi still has concussion-like symptoms and is resting today."
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Shero (in my opinion) is dragging his feet in regards to the trade deadline. Teams are already making big moves and he seems fine just sitting back and waiting. Maybe I'm just impatient...I don't know. I would have liked to have seen one or two of these guys here though.

Here's forwards who are already gone:

Frolik to the Hawks
Swift to the Sharks
Fisher to the Preds
Versteeg to the Flyers
Voros to the Leafs
Lupul to the Leafs

Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #457
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

Throw this season on the scrapheap and start again next year?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #458
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

... and now, your Sandy's Out-of-Town Scoreboard...

trailing Philthadelphia 3-1 midway thru the 2nd, Tampa Bay scores a pair of quick-goals, and after 40 minutes of play, it's Lightning 3, Phailures 3
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #459
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Throw this season on the scrapheap and start again next year?
Naaa...Luckily, thanks to a great win streak earlier, as long as we get at least MOST of the injured forwards back in a decent amount of time (like, within 4-6 weeks), they should be ok for the playoffs. I'm not expecting Stanley Cup this year (though it would be nice)...but I don't expect them to lay down and die in the first round either.

I just wish Shero would hurry up and grab up someone good (to at least replace Geno with). I'm sure he's working on making deals, but I'm just antsy.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #460
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
... and now, your Sandy's Out-of-Town Scoreboard...

trailing Philthadelphia 3-1 midway thru the 2nd, Tampa Bay scores a pair of quick-goals, and after 40 minutes of play, it's Lightning 3, Phailures 3
Ehhh..it went into OT with the Cryers winning. Blech.

-------------------------------------------------------
After browsing and reading around a bit, I've somewhat calmed down about the trade issue. I'd of course like to see something happen sooner than later, but here are my top choices. Make it so Shero!

Sharks want a D-man and they have Setoguchi available. My absolute top choice.

C Jason Arnott - Devils (Zubrus is available from the Devs as well) Very close second. I'd love Arnott here.

C Jarome Iginla - Flames (highly unlikely, which is the only reason he's not my top choice...but if Shero can make it happen, I'd probably do unspeakable things to myself)

Sabres are basically only looking for draft picks and have C Tim Connolly, RW Mike Grier, C Jochen Hecht and C Rob Niedermayer available.

Oilers are only looking for draft picks as well and RW Dustin Penner is available (as is their captain C Shawn Horcroff)

RW Radek Dvorak and LW Cory Stillman from Florida for picks and prospects.

C John Madden is available in Minnesota, but I don't know what they'd want for him.

Kovalev and Ruutu are available in Ottawa and could probably be bought for a bag of chips.

Closed Thread