Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #531
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
Lightning lost in OT to Florida, so the Guins are still in the 4th-seed (I believe?) at this time
Yeah, by one point...which will hopefully change today.

The Oilers have had to play Philly, Washington, Detroit and now Pittsburgh on their road trip...they took Detroit into OT. I hope the Pens don't decide to give them their one road victory tonight.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 03-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #532
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

Take from this what you will, but I am hearing A LOT of buzz about Sid returning. I know there's no official info from the Pens of course, but logically they would not say anything. The way concussions are, if he is making progress (which I strongly believe he is), there's no reason to publicly announce anything because he could revert back to square 1 at any moment during his recovery. They won't say anything until they KNOW he will be back, which probably won't be until a few days before it happens. If it means anything, they've also switched innto "dodge question" mode; Bylsma used to flat out say he still had symptoms whereas now he says stuff like "no new info" or "no comment"

I've heard from a few sources (none official so again take it with a grain of salt) that he has been symptom-free for about a week, if not more. To support this, he has been seen in public A LOT more as of late.

Also, Cassie Campbell of CBC reported today: "Crosby at rink this morning and back at game today...he has been shooting in Pens shooting gallery in dressing rm but has not skated "

Again, take what you will from all this cause I have no "official" info, but I'd put the odds at 75-25 he'll be back sometime in the playoffs whereas 2 weeks ago I would have said something more like 20-80.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #533
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Take from this what you will, but I am hearing A LOT of buzz about Sid returning. I know there's no official info from the Pens of course, but logically they would not say anything. The way concussions are, if he is making progress (which I strongly believe he is), there's no reason to publicly announce anything because he could revert back to square 1 at any moment during his recovery. They won't say anything until they KNOW he will be back, which probably won't be until a few days before it happens. If it means anything, they've also switched innto "dodge question" mode; Bylsma used to flat out say he still had symptoms whereas now he says stuff like "no new info" or "no comment"

I've heard from a few sources (none official so again take it with a grain of salt) that he has been symptom-free for about a week, if not more. To support this, he has been seen in public A LOT more as of late.

Also, Cassie Campbell of CBC reported today: "Crosby at rink this morning and back at game today...he has been shooting in Pens shooting gallery in dressing rm but has not skated "

Again, take what you will from all this cause I have no "official" info, but I'd put the odds at 75-25 he'll be back sometime in the playoffs whereas 2 weeks ago I would have said something more like 20-80.
Yeah, I caught a couple tweets today (specifically one from Cassie Campbell...and a couple others retweeting hers), saying the same thing. Haven't heard that he's been symptom free yet, though I'd love nothing more.

The latest "buzz" (aka WTF rumor...from some rag in Toronto) is that his family has been pressuring him to retire. His father and agent quickly spoke out against that.

I'm hoping he's well enough for the playoffs...but not at the risk of ending up like Savard. If there's any doubt whatsoever (which it seems there will be), I'd rather they just shut him down for the year and have him 100% next season.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 AM   #534
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Head knocks weigh on NHL general managers
By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, March 14, 2011

Sidney Crosby's concussion is causing a headache for the Penguins on the ice and the National Hockey League off it.

Nobody knows when Crosby might play hockey again, and continued speculation about his health is as frustrating to the team as it is confusing to fans.

"I'm sick of talking about it," Penguins General Manager Ray Shero said this week, reiterating that Crosby's status is "not something we talk about every day."

Crosby missed a 29th consecutive game Sunday when the Penguins played the Edmonton Oilers at Consol Energy Center.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said Thursday there was "no change" to Crosby's status since he was hit in the head Jan. 1 during the Winter Classic by then-Washington forward David Steckel and struck from behind four days later by Tampa Bay defenseman Victor Hedman.

A lack of significant progress from one of the NHL's marquee players almost 10 weeks into recovery is a concern to the Penguins and the league.

Head injuries will be a major topic during three days of meetings by the league's 30 general managers starting today in Boca Raton, Fla. -- and not just because Crosby, widely regarded as the face of the NHL, has cast a spotlight on the subject.

Clearing up rumors

Crosby told the Tribune-Review on Feb. 23 that he was "getting better" but said he still experienced headaches. He declined comment for this story but, through his agent and a Penguins spokesperson, addressed rumors from social media websites and out-of-town reports:

-- He did not cut short a haircut because of a sudden headache.

-- He was not made sick by lights and music at a recent Lady Gaga concert at Consol Energy Center.

-- There is neither a tumor nor a fractured bone along his spine.

"I don't know any of those things to be true," said Crosby's agent, Pat Brisson. "I can't say if he's going to play in two weeks, two months or seven months. All I can say is Sid's progressing, but he's still having symptoms. So right now, he's not ready."

Some of Crosby's closest friends are concerned.

"There's more to this life than hockey," said former Penguin and current Toronto forward Colby Armstrong. "I don't know what protocol is for something like this, but to have headaches every day like he's been having is a scary thing.

"I know personally it's eating at him (to be out this long). His hands are tied, though. He's just got to do what's best for him."

Taking a toll

According to The Concussion Blog, a website devoted to head injuries in professional sports, 72 NHL players reportedly have been diagnosed with a concussion this season. Here are some of the notable players and their status or recovery time:

Player, team Position Status/recovery
Sidney Crosby, Penguins Center Out since Jan. 5
Drew Doughty, Kings Defense Out from Oct. 20-Nov. 4
Marian Gaborik, Rangers Right wing Out from Feb. 20-March 6
Mike Green, Capitals Defense Out since Feb. 25
Dan Hamhuis, Canucks Defense Out from Feb. 9-22
Paul Kariya, Blues Left wing Out all season
Matthew Lombardi, Predators Right wing Out since Oct. 13
Brad Richards, Stars Center Out from Feb. 13-March 9
Marc Savard, Bruins Center Out for season

Sources: NHL.com; theconcussionblog.com

Crosby has not been cleared by the Penguins' medical staff for physical activity, other than light work on a stationary bicycle.

No timetable for return

Gone are the days when a trainer held up two fingers, asked a player his name and sent him back on the ice. Today, a player can return only after being free of symptoms and passing a test to gauge normal brain activity. The final decision-maker is the team doctor.

Crosby has not taken that test since his concussion diagnosis Jan. 6. He left the team in Montreal that day to be tested by team doctors in Pittsburgh because of symptoms that included headaches, neck soreness and nausea.

Few of Crosby's teammates feel comfortable talking publicly about his condition, though defenseman Paul Martin said players have no expectations for him to play again this season.

"Right now, we realize that he's not doing anything, and especially the guys in here have to expect it's just us," Martin said. "Obviously, if he comes back for the playoffs, I'll be as thrilled as anybody, but you can't sit back and wait and think when he comes back he'll make it better."

Team doctors initially labeled Crosby's concussion as "mild" and instructed Bylsma to tell reporters that Crosby would miss "about a week." The team since has insisted there is no timetable for his return.

The Penguins medical staff is led by Dr. Charles "Chip" Burke, but Shero said neurological experts from the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center consult on treatment for concussed players.

Burke declined to comment, per team policy regarding injured players.

Dr. Julian Bailes, chairman of West Virginia University's Department of Neurosurgery, said every concussion is different. Speaking without specific knowledge of Crosby's situation, Bailes said that more than two months generally "is a long time to be out" with a concussion.

Florida forward David Booth missed four months because of a concussion last season. Three current concussed Penguins -- forwards Arron Asham, Eric Tangradi and Nick Johnson -- are into their second month of not playing.

Bailes, considered a leading expert on head injuries because of his work with the National Football League Players Association, added it might be best for Crosby to scrap this season altogether.

"We do that with patients who have other problems to their nervous system -- nerve problems, stingers to the neck or shoulder and spinal-cord injuries," he said. "The benefit to it is time and allowing the brain to completely heal. We think in some concussions there is a tearing of fibers, and the brain can heal that -- and in some people time is what it takes."

Concussions on rise

Head injuries are "the topic du jour again" in the NHL after the subject dominated discussion late last season, Brisson said.

Boston University's Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy studied the brain of former NHL enforcer Bob Probert, who died last year at age 45. Reports surfaced recently that Probert, who lived a hard life that included substance abuse, had brain damage and disease at the time of his death.

Last week brought a major injury to Montreal forward Max Pacioretty after a gruesome hit by Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara. Pacioretty was injured when Chara drove him into a stanchion, leaving Pacioretty with a concussion and cracked vertebra.

As with Steckel and Hedman after their hits on Crosby, the NHL did not fine or suspend Chara. That prompted a letter from Air Canada, a major NHL sponsor, to commissioner Gary Bettman, in which the airline called the league's response to the incident unacceptable.

The NHL long touted itself as a leader among pro sports leagues regarding concussions. It began studying brain injuries in 1997 and created baseline neurological tests to prevent concussed players from returning before they achieve normal brain function.

Bettman said in January that concussions increased this season, despite a new regulation -- Rule 48 -- constituting blindside hits as illegal for the first time. He did not say how many concussions occurred this season.

The rise of concussions, combined with Crosby's stature and recent events, have added to the feeling that this week's general managers meetings are potentially a defining moment for the NHL.

"That combination warrants a serious discussion," Penguins CEO and President David Morehouse said before making clear the organization's stance. "We think head shots should be banned, period."

Read more: Head knocks weigh on NHL general managers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1GYW71VAC

Old 03-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #535
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Well...looks like the rumors were more right than wrong Phantom!

Crosby Skates for First Time

Monday, 03.14.2011 / 9:58 AM / Features
By Sam Kasan
Updated 11:37 AM...
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...fb-pghpenguins

Penguins captain Sidney Crosby was back on the ice for the first time since suffering a concussion in early January.

Crosby, who missed the last 29 games, skated on the ice for about 15 minutes in full gear early in the morning at CONSOL Energy Center. He stick-handled around some cones and shot a few pucks.

“I feel good. It’s really early. It’s just part of progress and trying to get better,” Crosby told www.PittsburghPenguins.com in an exclusive interview. “I felt pretty good doing some light workouts. I was told I had the opportunity to skate. I went out there for 15 minutes to see how I felt. No real plan going forward. I felt good, so that’s a good sign.”

Crosby, who last played for the Penguins Jan. 5 vs. Tampa Bay, said that he hasn’t had any concussion-like symptoms for a few days. He’s been riding an exercise bike and Monday was his first opportunity to get back on the ice, although he cautioned that he may not even be able to skate Tuesday.

“I may not feel great this afternoon and not be able to skate tomorrow,” Crosby said. “The only reason I was able to skate today is because I’ve had some good days here, done a little bit of exercise and got through that. That doesn’t mean there are any guarantees. It’s just a progression.

“I’ve been symptom free the last few days. That doesn’t mean that when I exert myself that I won’t have symptoms. That could always happen. That’s pretty normal when you have that. It’s a process and we’ll see how things go.”

Crosby is still taking everything day by day, but has been feeling much healthier lately.

“Typical every day things have gotten a lot better,” he said. “I’ve been able to get through days better."

Even though a return to the lineup is still some time away, Crosby felt good about getting back on the ice after such a prolonged absence.

“Just being on the ice is nice after not doing anything really the last few months,” he said. “It’s still in the early stages of things. It doesn’t mean I’ll be able to skate tomorrow. We’ll see how everything goes. It’s one of those things that you go through each day, adjust and see how you feel depending on symptoms and things like that. We’ll see. It’s just nice to be able to get out there.”

Watch Sidney Crosby take the ice

-----------------------------

Other injury updates per Bylsma:

Quote:
12:49 PM:
Bylsma also gave a plethora of injury updates.

"Arron Asham returned to practice today. It was his first time with the team and he will not be traveling with us tomorrow, given the fact that it’s one day. But he will return to practice with us next week.

"Comrie, Orpik and Tangradi all skated off the ice today. And Nick Johnson will be joining them tomorrow. It will be his first time on the ice, it is a progression for him.

"Kris Letang went to a scheduled appointment to be evaluated by a doctor just as a precautionary (action) from the hit he received last night.

"And I think you know Sidney Crosby skated today. He has been symptom free for some time now. He has been exercising off the ice, and this was the next step in his progression, getting on the ice. In no way, shape or form is there any time table at this point in time. This is just the next step for him, to get on the ice and to be able to exercise."

12:40 PM:
Per Bylsma, Matt Niskanen is still not well enough to travel with the flu bug that he has that saw him miss Sunday's game. He will be joining the team hopefully after the Ottawa game.

"We are going to have to call up a player (from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton), which we will do this afternoon," Bylsma said when asked how the team would play defensively with Niskanen out for Tuesday's game.
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #536
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Crosby skates, return may be distant
By Josh Yohe, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sidney Crosby's return to the lineup is, best case scenario, weeks away.

Still, a significant step in his comeback from a concussion occurred yesterday at Consol Energy Center when Crosby skated for 15 minutes. Crosby was extremely cautious when meeting with the media, warning that his return to action is not imminent.

By all accounts, however, Crosby's return to the ice is relevant on two levels: First and foremost, his health is improving, and there is now at least reason to believe that he may play again this season.

"I have no clue," Crosby said when asked when he would return. "I'm not thinking too far ahead as far as a time frame. I just want to get better."

Crosby spoke with reporters for almost 10 minutes and was unusually candid, acknowledging that the concussion symptoms generally bother him later in the day, so judging how he felt minutes after skating might not be an accurate gauge of his health. He also said that he has been symptom-free for a number of days, though he did not pinpoint precisely how many days. His day-to-day life activities -- aside from how he may respond from rigorous exercise, anyway -- appear back to normal.

"Everyday things are pretty good now," Crosby said. "If they weren't, I wouldn't be jumping on a bike. Getting through days has been much better the last week or so."

He also expressed that a return to the lineup isn't even on his mind, at least not yet. Crosby was asked about how much his conditioning would need to improve before he could return, and his answer offered a chilling reality of how serious the injury is.

"I'm not even going to talk about that," Crosby said. "I just want to be able to get through that (skating for the first time) without getting a headache, let alone worrying about where my conditioning is."

While Crosby was pleased to return to the ice, his level of excitement was measured. His teammates were a bit more emotional.

"It was very nice to see," center Jordan Staal said. "It was uplifting for the group to see him step forward and back on the ice."

Although Crosby's recovery has been disturbingly methodical, the Penguins' continual insistence that he is improving was verified by his return to the ice.

"I knew he was feeling better just from seeing him the past couple of weeks, the look in his eye and him being back on the bike," GM Ray Shero said. "That, to me, is the most important thing. I knew he was shooting and stuff like that in the room we have in the back, but for him to get back on the ice is a good step."

Crosby dismissed the wild rumors from Toronto that his career could be in jeopardy. He isn't retiring, isn't thinking about retiring and may even play this season.

The rumors irritate his family, Crosby said, but he is able to ignore them.

"It's something that comes with the territory," Crosby said. "It's definitely interesting to see what can be said and rumors and things like that."

Crosby was all business when addressing his health, but his right wing painted a different picture from earlier in the day.

"He was all smiles when he had the skates on," Pascal Dupuis said.

The Penguins certainly felt good seeing their captain making strides and sound confident that he will conquer his concussion.

"He's got the mind to do it," Staal said. "He'll find a way."

Read more: Crosby skates, return may be distant - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1Gg8dh89t

Old 03-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #537
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Asham back on the ice
By Josh Yohe, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sidney Crosby's 15-minute skate wasn't the only good concussion-related news the Penguins received Monday. Arron Asham, out since Feb.1 with a concussion, practiced with the Penguins at Consol Energy Center. Asham will not travel with the team to Ottawa but could be ready for game action soon. He said he would like to play Sunday against the New York Rangers. "I feel great," Asham said. Coach Dan Bylsma said that Asham has been symptom-free for quite some time. Asham has produced five goals and five assists this season after signing as a free agent from Philadelphia.

- Defenseman Kris Letang did not practice yesterday. He received a nasty hit from Edmonton's Gilbert Brule late in the third period of the Penguins' 5-1 win on Sunday. Contact was made with Letang's head on the play. Bylsma said Letang's visit to a doctor yesterday was "precautionary."

- Defenseman Matt Niskanen remains ill with the flu and will not play tonight in Ottawa. Bylsma said that the Penguins will recall a defenseman from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, though he did not specify which player will be selected. The logical choice is Brian Strait.

- Right wing Alex Kovalev did not speak with reporters the day before he plays against his old team, the Ottawa Senators, and doesn't intend on speaking after today's morning skate.

- Three injured players -- D Brooks Orpik, LW Eric Tangradi and C Mike Comrie -- continued to skate away from the team. They will be joined by RW Nick Johnson today in Ottawa. Johnson is symptom-free after battling a concussion for a month.

Read more: Asham back on the ice - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1Gg8xNtoD

Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM   #538
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
- Defenseman Matt Niskanen remains ill with the flu and will not play tonight in Ottawa. Bylsma said that the Penguins will recall a defenseman from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, though he did not specify which player will be selected. The logical choice is Brian Strait.
Corey Wagner and Steve Potter got called up.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=556093

Old 03-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #539
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens beat the Sens 5-1 last night, and have a 4 day break until facing the Rangers on Saturday afternoon.

I know the Oilers and Sens are at the bottom of the league, and it would have been pathetic if they lost to them and all that, but they are great confidence boosters for this team and the points were very much needed...now that the Craps have passed the Pens in points (92) and the Cryers are still on top of the division and conference by 3 points (93).

Pens play 2 games against the Cryers at the end of the month...crucial, crucial wins if they want to get the division lead.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #540
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

In Pens news today, Letestu is day to day with an upper body injury (hopefully he's better by Sunday).

Sidney Crosby confirmed with the media that he skated today for the third time in the past four days with no setbacks. Crosby had the same workload today (15 minutes on the ice with some stick-handling and puck work).

Bylsma also gave a plethora of status updates on the rest of the injured Pens:

"(Arron) Asham again in practice today with the full team. (Mike) Comrie was out there with us, it was his first practice. They’re both working on their conditioning and timing and getting back with the group, but they're out there with us.

"Nick Johnson and Eric Tangradi continue to progress off the ice, skating with Brooks Orpik. But they’re probably a ways away in their progression to getting back with the team.

"(Evgeni) Malkin, obviously continuing his rehab.

"And Crosby, to follow up what Sid addressed today, just progressing slowly, following instructions from the doctors and he’s in contact with them about how he’s feeling and his progression. If he skates, or if he doesn’t skate, or what he does off the ice, is based on the doctors’ protocol and following that program. It doesn’t mean necessarily that he’s having a good day or a bad day. But he is progressing back, there is no timetable for his return. And as far as us, he’s really not on the radar whether we’re discussing whether he is going to return to play or not. It is really not on the radar yet. So there’s no timetable, and good to see him on the ice and good to see him progressing. But he’s following that protocol closely.

Bylsma was then asked if Dustin Jeffrey would be the logical guy to step into the center position between James Neal and Alex Kovalev. His response:

"Yes. That would be the original thought. As the game wound down there in Ottawa, (Jeffrey) did step into that spot and play between those two guys. One of the goals they got was with him at center. So yes."
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=556353&navid=DL|PIT|home

The team also had "team building" sessions after practice today by doing West Point drills. Hopefully they give a video for this...but here are some pics from the Pens site.

Closed Thread