Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #551
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

And I've clinched tickets to next Wed night's game at the St Pete Times Forum. Taking The Princess to her first PENS game...nothing like breaking her in to PENS hockey by making it a playoff game!

LETS GO PENS!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
Old 04-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #552
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
And I've clinched tickets to next Wed night's game at the St Pete Times Forum. Taking The Princess to her first PENS game...nothing like breaking her in to PENS hockey by making it a playoff game!

LETS GO PENS!
have lived in central Florida for almost 5 years (after 46 in da Burgh), and I always said that if & when the Penguins meet the Lightning in the playoffs, I'd be at the St. Pete Times Forum for every game:
unfortunately, my fiancee is battling breast-cancer, so I won't be able to make it this year, but I'll be watching on TV

Old 04-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #553
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
have lived in central Florida for almost 5 years (after 46 in da Burgh), and I always said that if & when the Penguins meet the Lightning in the playoffs, I'd be at the St. Pete Times Forum for every game:
unfortunately, my fiancee is battling breast-cancer, so I won't be able to make it this year, but I'll be watching on TV

Dude, they've got some inexpensive seats for these games (28 + fees), might be just the break you and your fiancee need...a good outing by the Pens and to be there in person. I only pray you could make it one way or another!

But don't worry if you can't, I'll be sure that The Princess and I cheer extra loud on Wednesday night!

Old 04-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #554
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

Anyone know where to stream the game for free? I may have a mile wide tornado destroying my city, but I am not missing this game!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #555
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Well the Penguins played flat footed and with the exception of the final 15 minutes of play, they looked outplayed by the Lightning. The Lightning wanted this game more and they took it right from underneath the Pens.

Since the 8-2 blowout, the Lightning have shown life while the Penguins couldn't muster enough gumption to put the Lightning away after leading the series 3-1.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #556
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Well, I'm definitely disappointed with the early playoff exit...but I think the Pens had a great season all things considered. Already looking forward to next season and seeing how Neal plays with Crosby and how Malkin will do with Staal.

My biggest hope is that they can Kovy. He's lazier than ever and not worth a dime at this point in his career. Shero took a cheap gamble on him, and I don't blame him for doing it, but outside of a couple SO goals, the only thing Kovy really produced was penalties and turnovers. Time for him to hit the road.

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but Bylsma has been nominated for the Jack Adams award (Coach of the year)...along with Trotz (Nashville) and Vigneault (Vancouver). I'd be happy if either Dan or Trotz won...they both did a good job with little to work with at times. No way in my mind does Vig deserve it. It's great that Vancouver had such a great year, but he has such a great compliment of players and didn't really have to deal with injuries or anything.

Now that the Pens are out, I'm rooting for the Sharks above all. I wouldn't be upset if Nashville, Vancouver, Tampa or Boston (in that order) won either. Pretty much as long as the Wings, Caps or Flyers don't win or make it to the finals. So far, the tide of the rest of the series is going my way lol.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #557
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Pens ready to cash in on Crosby, Malkin returns
Tuesday, 08.23.2011 / 3:00 AM / 30 in 30
By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=586019&navid=DL|NHL|home

Ray Shero knew he didn't have to open his checkbook to sign a big-money free agent this summer. Pittsburgh's general manager wasn't going to find anyone on the market better than the two players he already knew were working toward a return to the Penguins' lineup: Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.

The Penguins played without both of their $8.7 million centers for the final 29 games last season and all of the playoffs. Crosby missed the final 41 games with a concussion and Malkin tore up his right knee on Feb. 4, putting him on the shelf for the remainder of the season as well.

Pittsburgh became more of a defense-oriented team and managed to finish second in the Atlantic Division and fourth in the Eastern Conference with 49 wins and 106 points. Dan Bylsma rightfully won the Jack Adams Award for skillfully guiding his depleted team to the finish line and now he believes his team is better for not having Crosby and Malkin at the season.

However, Malkin will be ready for training camp and Crosby is working toward a return either in training camp or soon after. Crosby reportedly began his normal summer workout routine in July, but he has not been cleared for contact yet and he has experienced some post-concussion symptoms when he pushes himself.

Malkin has spent the offseason in Russia, working out to strengthen his surgically repaired right knee.

Nevertheless, Shero did his due diligence in free agency by re-signing five of his own players and tempting Jaromir Jagr to return to Pittsburgh before moving on to sign veteran winger Steve Sullivan. It was all window dressing compared to what should be two enormous additions this season.

The Penguins lost a couple of their more charismatic depth players to Atlantic Division rivals. Maxime Talbot signed a five-year contract to play in Philadelphia and Mike Rupp inked a three-year deal with the New York Rangers.

Talbot will best be remembered for scoring both goals in the Penguins' Cup-winning Game 7 victory at Joe Louis Arena in 2009 while Rupp will best be remembered for being a tenacious yet fun-loving teammate. Both also had starring roles in HBO's Emmy Award-winning documentary series "24/7 Penguins-Capitals: Road to the NHL Winter Classic."

Most importantly, though, Talbot was a depth center who could win key faceoffs and help kill penalties for the Penguins. Rupp was a pugilistic fourth-liner who chipped in wherever it was needed.

The Penguins also said good-bye to Chris Conner, Alex Kovalev, Mike Comrie and Eric Godard -- though none of those losses are seen as overly significant.

Jagr was the one that got away, but the Penguins didn't idle as they moved on from their former star who signed with their in-state rivals. Shero found another veteran scoring winger with potential to play in Pittsburgh's top six, provided he stays healthy.

Sullivan, who signed a one-year contract, could find his way onto a line with either Crosby or Malkin depending on how he performs in training camp and if he develops chemistry with either superstar early in the season. Crosby, though, may not be in the lineup to start the season.

Sullivan, 37, should be, but he has had some injury woes. He was limited to 44 games last season with Nashville, but he had 22 points on a team that didn't have a bona fide No. 1 center or anybody with more than 23 goals or 50 points.

Outside of the Sullivan signing and bringing back their own players, including Pascal Dupuis, Tyler Kennedy, Dustin Jeffrey, Craig Adams and Arron Asham, the Penguins stayed relatively quiet on the free agent market. They inked forwards Steve MacIntyre and Jason Williams as well as defensemen Alexandre Picard and Boris Valabik to one-year, two-way contracts.

Williams has dealt with injuries in recent seasons, but he told the Penguins' website that he's healthy and ready to show what he can do. He has 225 points in 447 games in the NHL. MacIntyre could fill the enforcer role that Godard had in previous seasons with the Penguins. He had seven fights in just 34 games with the Oilers last season.

Picard had eight points over 43 games with Montreal last season. He's also played for the Flyers, Lightning, Senators and Hurricanes and has 65 points over 236 games. Valabik spent all of last season in the AHL, but played 80 games over parts of three seasons with the Atlanta Thrashers from 2007-10.

Pittsburgh stayed in the hunt for the Atlantic Division title during the second half of last season without Crosby and Malkin. That was not only remarkable, but it was telling of what this team is potentially capable of with their star centers healthy and in the lineup.

The fact is that the 2011 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic and the following game at home against Tampa Bay were the only two times last season that Pittsburgh had its top three centers -- Crosby, Malkin and Staal -- start and finish the same game.

Staal missed the first 40 games of the season after undergoing offseason surgery and then fracturing his hand, but made his season debut at Heinz Field on Jan. 1. Crosby didn't play in another game after going pointless against the Lightning on Jan. 5. Malkin tore up his knee on Feb. 4 and was out for the rest of the regular season and playoffs.

The Penguins are built around these three players, so if the Stanley Cup is the goal -- as it is every year in Pittsburgh -- it's critical that all three stay in the lineup.

However, provided defenseman Brooks Orpik recovers from his July 20 sports hernia surgery in time, the Penguins should be entering training camp with a healthy and deep blue line.

Orpik, Kris Letang, Paul Martin, Zbynek Michalek, Matt Niskanen, Ben Lovejoy and Deryk Engelland all return from last season, which should make it hard for Picard and Valabik to make the roster.

With Marc-Andre Fleury and Brent Johnson back to make up one of the top goaltending duos in the NHL, the Penguins should be contenders again provided Nos. 87 and 71 make it back and they hang on to the defensive swagger they developed last season.

---------------------------------------------------------

FACTS & FIGURES

Record: 49-25-8, 106 points, fourth in East

Coach:
Dan Bylsma (4th season)
Interesting fact: The Penguins begin the 2011-12 season with a three-game road trip to Western Canada. This marks the first time the Penguins have opened the regular season with three straight road games since the lockout-shortened 1994-95 campaign when they visited Tampa Bay, Florida and the Rangers Jan. 20-25, 1995.

PENGUINS: 3 QUESTIONS FOR 2011-2012

1. What will the return of Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin mean to the Penguins?
It will mean that Pittsburgh will be a very, very good team in 2011-12. The Penguins won 49 games last season and came within one point of winning the Atlantic Division -- playing a majority of the year without their two superstars. Imagine how good they'll be in 2011-12 with virtually the same roster and the return of the dynamic duo.

2. Are the Penguins better off without Jaromir Jagr?
Fans will certainly have mixed answers on this one. Jagr is an elite goal scorer; but he hasn't played in the NHL since 2008, so it's tough to gauge how he'll perform in 2011-12. Either way, expect the atmosphere at Consol Energy Center on Dec. 29 to be pretty intense -- it's the Flyers' first trip to Pittsburgh.

3. Can Pittsburgh get over the playoff hump?
The Penguins haven't been past the second round of the playoffs since they won the Stanley Cup in 2008-09. After being upset by Montreal two years ago in the Conference Semifinals, then blowing a lead to Tampa Bay in the Conference Quarterfinals last season, can the Penguins cure their playoff woes?

-- Emily Kaplan

UP-AND-COMING: 3 PLAYERS TO WATCH

Dustin Jeffrey, F -- Injuries gave Jeffrey a chance to show Bylsma and Co. what he can do last season. He tested out fairly well. Jeffrey had 12 points in 25 games, proving to the Penguins that there is upside in their former sixth-round draft pick. Jeffrey is coming off major knee surgery, but he says he will be ready for training camp. He signed a two-year contract this summer, but it's a two-way deal for this season.

Eric Tangradi, F -- A 22-year-old rookie, Tangradi is so focused on making the Penguins' opening night roster that on July 26 he told his nearly 13,000 Twitter followers that he was taking the year off from the social media site "to really focus on trying to make a hockey team." Tangradi, who is 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, had three points in 15 games with the Penguins last season before suffering a season-ending concussion.

Mark Letestu, F -- The undrafted longshot from Elk Point, Alta., finally made it to the NHL on a full-time basis last season. Letestu was forced into a bigger role due to the injuries to Crosby and Malkin, and he finished with 27 points in 64 games. He could move to the wing this season or play in a fourth-line center role if Crosby, Malkin and Staal are all healthy.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #558
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Crosby on IR to start the season

Sidney Crosby will be placed on injured reserve to start the season. Because of NHL rules, Crosby will now be unavailable to the Pens for at least the first seven days of the season.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/1...-placed-on-ir/
Old 10-04-2011, 06:33 AM   #559
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Crosby on IR to start the season

Sidney Crosby will be placed on injured reserve to start the season. Because of NHL rules, Crosby will now be unavailable to the Pens for at least the first seven days of the season.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/1...-placed-on-ir/
Yeah, I figured as much.

Though Crosby and Jefferey's aren't subject to the 7 day rule, since they were never taken off the list from last season.

Quote:
Center Sidney Crosby and winger Dustin Jeffrey won't have to wait the usual seven days to come off the NHL's injured reserve list, the Penguins confirmed Monday.
Crosby (concussion) and Jeffrey (right knee) were never taken off the list dating to last season. They were designated for injured reserve yesterday as part of a series of roster moves by the Penguins. Also on the injured reserve list are forward Nick Petersen and defensemen Robert Bortuzzo and Boris Valabik.
A player on the injured reserve must wait seven days before he can play, but if a player's designation carried over from the previous season, that term does not apply. This is the case with Crosby and Jeffrey — neither of whom will play Thursday when the Penguins open the season at Vancouver.
Technically, both players could dress for weekend games at Edmonton and Calgary, but that is unlikely given their current status.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #560
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Penguins Reduce Active Roster to 23 Players
Monday, 10.03.2011 / 12:20 PM / Features
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=590905&navid=DL|PIT|home

The Pittsburgh Penguins reduced their active roster to 23 players, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

Forward Jason Williams and defensemen Alexandre Picard and Brian Strait were re-assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton of the American Hockey League (AHL). Defenseman Joseph Morrow was returned to his junior team, the Portland Winterhawks of the Western Hockey League (WHL).

Williams and Picard will have to clear waivers by Tuesday at noon before joining WBS.

Pittsburgh also placed forwards Sidney Crosby, Dustin Jeffrey and Nick Petersen and defensemen Robert Bortuzzo and Boris Valabik on injured reserve.

The Penguins’ active roster contains 14 forwards, seven defensemen and two goaltenders.

Download Roster

Closed Thread