Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Pittsburgh Sports > Pittsburgh Penguins

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #61
Shea
Head Coach

Member Number: 5066
Default Re: You can stop sucking any time now Marc Andre!

Educate me Mom.

What is FML?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM   #62
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Damn, no fleury apoligists here? I guess I'm going to have to go over to the other site to get an argument.

Oh and boy do we miss Staal. I think he's no worse than our 3rd best player, and on some days his weight carries farther than Sid or Geno's.

Not knocking them though, just saying Staal is one of those intangibles guys that contributions don't always show up on the score sheet.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:18 PM   #63
Shea
Head Coach

BTW, I always kept it to myself because I didn't want to ruff any feathers, but I've never seen why MAF was considered one of the elite goalies in the NHL.

Love his personality and the person he is, but I've yet to see the play to justify the acclaim he gets within the league.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #64
Shea
Head Coach

Zu, Staal not being in the line up is huge .... I completely agree.

Great to see that he is atleast in skates and testing the foot on the ice.

We need him back as soon as possible.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #65
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea View Post
Educate me Mom.

What is FML?
Fvck My Life lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Damn, no fleury apoligists here? I guess I'm going to have to go over to the other site to get an argument.

Oh and boy do we miss Staal. I think he's no worse than our 3rd best player, and on some days his weight carries farther than Sid or Geno's.

Not knocking them though, just saying Staal is one of those intangibles guys that contributions don't always show up on the score sheet.
I was a Fleury apologist last year. Not anymore. I know all good goalies are going to have shit games, but this is just carry over from last year...and you can only blame the defense so often. I think the superb defense we had through '07 to winning the cup just hid the fact that he is nowhere near elite.

Maybe it's just me bitching, and I certainly hope he proves me wrong, but damn does he make it hard to stand up for him sometimes.

Quote:
BTW, I always kept it to myself because I didn't want to ruff any feathers, but I've never seen why MAF was considered one of the elite goalies in the NHL.

Love his personality and the person he is, but I've yet to see the play to justify the acclaim he gets within the league.
He's definitely not. Not in my opinion.

When I was watching the game with other Pens and Leafs fans I heard all kinds of excuses about MAF (from both sides...the Canadian fans still love his ass too)....'he's young, give him time', 'the D isn't doing enough', 'the Pens should score more points than that' yadda yadda yadda. You know what? You can only use those excuses for so long. The 'he's still young' excuse is getting really old. He's been in the league long enough now.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong, but he just pisses me off right now.

And ruffle away hon...you don't have to worry about 'stepping on toes' in regards to...well...anything anymore. We're all adults here (I don't know about Tony though ).

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 10-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #66
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Zu, Staal not being in the line up is huge .... I completely agree.

Great to see that he is atleast in skates and testing the foot on the ice.

We need him back as soon as possible.
I've heard sometime in December at the latest...but I'm hoping 4 weeks and he's good to go. Him just being able to put on a skate now and get out on the ice is huge. His Dr.s wouldn't allow him to do that if he wasn't progressing nicely and somewhat close to being back.

Asham - 2 more weeks
Michalek - 2-4 weeks
Orpik - Still day to day.

The top two lines are going to be beast though once Comrie gets his shit together and Asham and Staal are back. I can't wait!

*P.S* I'm gonna merge this with the Tidbits thread since we seem to be going into different discussions!

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 10-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #67
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: New Official Pens Tidbits Thread

Figures, I get all these free games to watch and the Pens look like crap.

Baby blue uni's tonight against the Isles

Penguins Report: Game Day vs. Islanders

Sidney Crosby

On the power play:
I think we have done some pretty good things. There has been a few where we didn’t execute quite as well, but I think for the most part we have generated a lot of chances. Obviously you want to score on your power play. Sometimes the timing of the goals is huge too. You have to make sure you don’t lose momentum from (the power play).

On each player’s spot on the reconfigured power-play setup:
I think we are still sorting that out. There are still going to be adjustments. We are going to have to learn from our mistakes. I think for the most part the mindset and the way we have executed has been OK.

On keeping the Penguins eight-game winning streak in Pittsburgh over the Islanders going:
It would be nice to get that first one (at CONSOL Energy Center). It doesn’t really matter what has happened in the past. We need to continue it.

On what Rick DiPietro means to the Islanders:
He is a big part of their team. He has missed some time over the past few years. He has always been a difference maker for them. I don’t think our mindset changes. Every team has pretty good goaltenders. There are things you have to do to beat them and that doesn’t change. We have to generate more shots, but that doesn’t change our approach.

Paul Martin

On being able to feel when the pregame skate doesn’t go well:
You can tell as a player when the puck is bouncing on you and the team is not crisp at the morning skate. It’s tough when you are trying to get yourself ready to play and you are worried about your own skate. You can tell our good ones from our not so great ones. He was right. We didn’t have the best one before that game. That’s still no excuse to not turn it around before tonight’s game.

On today’s skate:
It went better. I think guys are paying a lot more attention to it obviously. Hopefully it’s not in our heads to where we are thinking about it too much. We have played well at times the first couple of games. We just have to make sure we are more consistent with our effort.

10:47 AM:
The Penguins worked on their power play. They used Kris Letang and Evgeni Malkin at the points, Alex Goligoski in the high slot, Sidney Crosby on the halfwall and Chris Kunitz in front of the net.
__________________________________________________ _________________________
10:35 AM:
The Penguins switched up thier combinations for the morning skate. Mike Comrie was back centering the second unit with Eric Tangradi and Evgeni Malkin. The rest of the lines unfolded like this:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Tangradi-Comrie-Malkin
Cooke-Talbot-Kennedy
Rupp-Letestu/Adams-Godard

Martin-Letang
Goligoski-Lovejoy
Hutchinson-Engelland

Brent Johnson in net.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home
Old 10-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #68
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

Not being an apologist for Fleury, but he is the type of goalie that feels, and sometimes needs to be involved more than just between the pipes. He's done this since he came up. He likes to get out of the crease and play pucks. Sometimes to the fans frustration... including myself. Playing like that keeps him involved and his mind occupied. If he sits too long without getting any action, or in the case of the new arena, the ice appears much faster, so he is unable to stop pucks behind the net. I think that frustrates him. His mind becomes preoccupied, unfocused, and his play suffers.

I believe he is one of the best goalies in the league. He has all the physical tools. Although, as with many things in life, his mental focus is what's causing some of his issues. Missing some key defensive pieces is also another.

That last game with Toronto was sloppy... for all parties. We did not control the puck on the breakout, in the neutral zone, entering the offensive zone, or holding the blue line when finally getting it in. Too many damn turnovers.

I love the reference Steggy made if Prince were calling the game....
They got it. We got it. They got it. etc. That's exactly what it was like watching. Frustrating.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
Old 10-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #69
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
Not being an apologist for Fleury, but he is the type of goalie that feels, and sometimes needs to be involved more than just between the pipes. He's done this since he came up. He likes to get out of the crease and play pucks. Sometimes to the fans frustration... including myself. Playing like that keeps him involved and his mind occupied. If he sits too long without getting any action, or in the case of the new arena, the ice appears much faster, so he is unable to stop pucks behind the net. I think that frustrates him. His mind becomes preoccupied, unfocused, and his play suffers.

I believe he is one of the best goalies in the league. He has all the physical tools. Although, as with many things in life, his mental focus is what's causing some of his issues. Missing some key defensive pieces is also another.

That last game with Toronto was sloppy... for all parties. We did not control the puck on the breakout, in the neutral zone, entering the offensive zone, or holding the blue line when finally getting it in. Too many damn turnovers.

I love the reference Steggy made if Prince were calling the game....
They got it. We got it. They got it. etc. That's exactly what it was like watching. Frustrating.
I get that he (and other goalies as well) are sometimes worse when they face very few shots during a game, and that very well may have been his problem in the Toronto game....BUT, he hasn't looked good yet this season, and frankly, looked less than stellar last season as well for the most part.

Can't put it all on the defense not stepping up either. Outside of the Toronto game, Fleury has played with a completely healthy D...and a good defense at that. Better than last years at least. Yet his performance has pretty much been the same so far.

I love him. And I think he can be a great goalie...IF he just gets his head out of his ass (which is where it seems to have been stuck for a while). I don't know if he's just lost confidence in himself or what it is, but as of right now, Johnson (and this is carry over from last season too), has looked more like an elite goalie that Fleury has. He has not been earning his elite salary IMO.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #70
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Default Re: Pens Gameday Talk

Penguins vs Islanders Game Preview
Thursday, 10.14.2010 / 9:00 PM / Features
By Jason Seidling
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=540574&navid=DL|PIT|home

Pittsburgh Penguins
Overall:
1-3-0-2
Home: 0-3-0-0
Road: 1-0-0-2

WHEN: Oct 15, 2010 - 7:00 pm | WHERE: CONSOL Energy Center
WATCH: FSN | LISTEN: Pens HD Radio, 105.9 FM

New York Islanders
Overall:
1-1-1-3
Home: 1-0-1-3
Road:
0-1-0-0

Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Islanders

Lady luck has not been on the side of the New York Islanders at the beginning of the 2010-11 season. Training camp injuries to defenseman Mark Streit (torn labrum and rotator cuff; out six months) and forward Kyle Okposo (right shoulder; out until mid-December or early January) deprived the Islanders of two of their top three scorers from last season before the calendar ever hit October. If those two blows weren’t enough for head coach Scott Gordon’s squad to handle, second-year star John Tavares was knocked from the lineup during the season opener with a mild concussion.

Despite all of the misfortunate injuries New York has suffered, the team is playing pretty inspired hockey while starting the season 1-1-1. The Islanders have been able to give teams fits every night in spite of their depleted lineup thanks to a balanced scoring attack led by captain Doug Weight (1G-3A), emerging forward Blake Comeau (3G-1A), last season’s breakout star Matt Moulson (2G-1A) and two-way center Josh Bailey (1G-3A).

In goal the Islanders return one of the better netminding tandems in the National Hockey League in Rick DiPietro and Dwayne Roloson. DiPietro has been in goal both games the Islanders have picked up points while Roloson was spectacular against the Washington Capitals on Wednesday night, stopping 26 of 28 shots in his first action of the season.

• The Penguins have dominated the Islanders since the NHL returned from the lockout. Since that time Pittsburgh has posted an overall record of 23-8-5 against the Islanders, including a 14-2-2 mark in Pittsburgh.
  • Pittsburgh enters Friday’s game riding an eight-game winning streak over the Islanders in Pittsburgh. New York’s last victory against the Penguins in Pittsburgh came on Dec. 21, 2007 (4-2). Overall, the Penguins have won four straight games over the Islanders.
  • Penguins captain Sidney Crosby has torched the Islanders during his career. In 31 career contests against New York, Crosby has posted 18 goals, 43 assists and 61 points. His assist and point totals against the Islanders are more than any other team.
  • Center Nino Niederreiter, the No. 5-overall selection by the Islanders in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, parlayed a strong training camp into a three-year contract. Niederreiter scored his first NHL goal on Wednesday against Washington. At 18 years, 35 days, Niederreiter is the youngest player to ever score for the Islanders.
  • Under head coach Dan Bylsma the Penguins have always been regarded as one of the league’s most physical teams. That has continued through the first four games of this season as Chris Kunitz (19; t-1), Matt Cooke (15, 3rd), and Mike Rupp (12, t-5) each rank among the top 10 in the NHL in hits. As a team, the Penguins lead the NHL with 131 hits heading into Thursday’s games, 35 more than second-place Toronto (96).

Puck Management: One of the reasons the Penguins dropped Wednesday night’s game against the Toronto Maple Leafs was their puck management in all three zones, particularly the D-zone. Making good decisions with the puck is one of the staple principles of head coach Dan Bylsma’s system. The Penguins have to improve in this area in order to get into the attacking zone and execute their forecheck.

Get the Wingers Going:
Even without Jordan Staal, the Penguins have great depth down the middle with Sidney Crosby, Mark Letestu and Maxime Talbot anchoring the top three lines. Those three have accounted for four of the seven goals the Penguins have received from their forwards. For the Penguins to get back to being the powerhouse offense we are accustomed to seeing, they are going to need more production from the wingers.

C Jordan Staal, foot (indefinitely)
F Arron Asham, upper body (2 weeks)
D Zbynek Michalek, upper body (2 to 4 weeks)
D Brooks Orpik, groin strain (day-to-day)

F Kyle Okposo, right shoulder (indefinitely)
D Mark Streit, torn labrum and rotator cuff (indefinitely)
C John Tavares, mild concussion (day-to-day)
C Rob Schremp, strained lower back (3 to 4 weeks)

Chris Kunitz - Healthy for the first time since early last season, Chris Kunitz has been one of the Penguins’ top forwards through the first week of the regular season. Often times serving as an alternate captain due to injuries, Kunitz is tied with Matt Cooke for the team scoring lead among forwards with three points (1G-2A). Not only is he producing offensively, Kunitz has been a physical presence with an NHL-leading 19 hits.

Blake Comeau - Twenty-four-year-old forward Blake Comeau has watched his personal statistics improve during each of his first three NHL seasons, and he looks to make it four consecutive years of improvement based upon his hot start. Comeau leads the Islanders with three goals and is tied for the team scoring lead with four points. Last season he established career highs with 17 goals and 35 points.

Closed Thread