Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #1
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119
Default Cornerbacks

I hate to say it but Downbylaw might have been right about his CBs in different systems.

William Gay has looked great as a nickel CB where he plays man D. Maybe he is just good at playing man D and he gets confused by Lebeau's zone coverage and is not good at trying to make up ground.

So it is possible some other CBs who are good in man (like Revis and Cromartie) would not like our system.

It makes me wonder about which of our corners might be great man D CBs.

I'm glad we kept Gay. I wanted him cut after last season.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,323 Times in 3,491 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Cornerbacks

gay definitely seems great as the nickel guy and I also wanted him cut, but glad we ended up keeping him. I'm not sure who would be good man coverage players, but i think crezdon butler is a perfect zone corner. he may be a star in our system, in college he was a ball hawk who was really good at jumping routes from zone coverage. in his senior year his stock dropped because his stats went down considerably. but a huge reason is because qb's weren't throwing at him at all (in the first 4 games he was only thrown at 5 times), which says something. this guy might have been a steal at the round we got him at.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
gay definitely seems great as the nickel guy and I also wanted him cut, but glad we ended up keeping him. I'm not sure who would be good man coverage players, but i think crezdon butler is a perfect zone corner. he may be a star in our system, in college he was a ball hawk who was really good at jumping routes from zone coverage. in his senior year his stock dropped because his stats went down considerably. but a huge reason is because qb's weren't throwing at him at all (in the first 4 games he was only thrown at 5 times), which says something. this guy might have been a steal at the round we got him at.
Glad to hear. He looked good.

I sort of felt bad for B-mac. That was a lot for him to cover. He has to stand 10 yards back and allow the short flats, make solo tackles and STILL cover long out and in? I think if he could have just stayed on Housh the whole time he would have been able to provide tighter coverage.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 2,807 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Now that Big Ben is back, expect more experimentation from Lebeau
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

BTW...Steelers don't seem to move anybody now. They just stay in their zones so if teams decide that BMac is the weakest, they can just send their best WR to his zone. It's not like before when we would say Ike covers the opponents best WR.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKnight View Post
I sort of felt bad for B-mac. That was a lot for him to cover. He has to stand 10 yards back and allow the short flats, make solo tackles and STILL cover long out and in? I think if he could have just stayed on Housh the whole time he would have been able to provide tighter coverage.
I thought B-mac may have misunderstood his responsibilities on that play. Troy came on the blitz and B-mac seemed to play as if he had help in the deep middle. Or maybe Clark was supposed to be there and wasn't. B-mac was playing his 3rd of the field and when Housh went to the middle B-mac made little effort to stay with him. That's the problem with criticizing individual players ... fans don't know the play call and we don't know exactly who has what responsibilities.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
I thought B-mac may have misunderstood his responsibilities on that play. Troy came on the blitz and B-mac seemed to play as if he had help in the deep middle. Or maybe Clark was supposed to be there and wasn't. B-mac was playing his 3rd of the field and when Housh went to the middle B-mac made little effort to stay with him. That's the problem with criticizing individual players ... fans don't know the play call and we don't know exactly who has what responsibilities.
They showed that they ran the same play 3 times where Housh went outside. Housh says he ad libed the play and cut it inside. BMac bit on the outside then tried to recover. That space was wide open and even f he had caught it short outside, only B-mac was there to make the tackle. I guess you really have to be a sure tackler.

Housh is a good veteran player. Funny thing is when they got him I mentioned it and some fan tried to say he would make no difference or something like that. I'm sure that person won't admit it now. lol
Old 10-13-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
ramblinjim
Water Boy

Member Number: 17046

Housh is one of those crafty vets who's going to have a career like Clayton and Derrick Mason, he knows how to get open, has good hands and barring a serious injury still has a great deal left in the tank. He was an excellent pickup for the Felons.

Bmac's biggest strength IIRC wasn't speed, so playing man coverage down the field was never going to be his strength, he has pretty decent hands and is a good tackler that can also support the run. In Lebeau's system, that's what you're looking for in a CB, not necessarily a lock-down, shut down half of the field type of Corner.

Gay has been exceptional as the Nickel, count me among the throngs that said he should have been cut. D'oh!
ramblinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Mc Fadden needs to go and forget all the things he learned out in Arizona........They suck.......
Old 10-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #10
SteelKnight
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by wootawnee View Post
Mc Fadden needs to go and forget all the things he learned out in Arizona........They suck.......
McFadden does get beat a bunch. In the Tenn game, they would have tied it (possibly with 2 pt conv) if Clark hadn't stepped in after Nate beat BMac.