Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Ed Bouchette Chat Transcript 10.12.2010

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...cript-10122010

Ed Bouchette: Welcome to our weekly chat. Let's begin.

Jim in VT: Has Tomlin given any indication that Sanders may see the field at WR?

Ed Bouchette: He just said at his press conference that he will consider Sanders returning kicks and that is a signal to me that he wants to get a look at him as WR too because Brown is the better kickoff return man.

Josh: Ed - If the opportunity presents itself on Sunday, do you think Tomlin would try to run the score up on the brownies as a payback for the loss last season?

Ed Bouchette: No.

Amos_P_Swanson: Is Trai Essex able to practice this week? Do you think his starting job is in jeopardy?

Ed Bouchette: I think Trai may already have lost his starting job. He's the only player that Tomlin mentioned as still having a lingering injury.

CoachJ: Love what we have going at WR, but just curious... has anyone seen hide or hair of Limas Sweed?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, Sweed has been around and I saw him here all of last week.

tx_steeler: Why have you seen Blind Side four times? How many times have you seen Fighting Back?

Ed Bouchette: Fighting Back was one of the worst movies ever made. The books about Rocky Bleier was a good one, the movie was not.

Steeltyke: Hi Ed. Do you think that the Steelers will announce the defense on Sunday to avoid any possible booing of Big Ben?

Ed Bouchette: We were discussing that today and I even asked MT about it but he, of course, brushed it off. I predict the offense.

IC Smash: Ed, what killed the Steelers more the last time we played the Browns ... Josh Cribbs or Bruce Arians play calling?

Ed Bouchette: Well, Cribbs hurt them but so did throwing 32 passes in that weather.

BV: Ed, non Stillers question. What did you think of the Vikings going for 2 early in the 4th quater, when the game was 15-13? I know people will point to the final score 29-20, effectively taking the Vikings out of it down 9 under a minute, but you can't predict the subsequent plays to come.

Ed Bouchette: I had no problem with it, as long as they weren't trying for two from the 12 yardline.

Illinois_Steelers_Fan: If the story is true about Favre's misconduct, do you think he should be suspended for a game?

Ed Bouchette: If you are going to punish those who act like teenagers, then you must punish all the teenagers who act that way.

black_gold: So Ed, I take it you had a good bye week did you do anything special?

Ed Bouchette: It was all in my Monday Morning Slog.

Illinois_Steelers_Fan: As of today, what do you think are the weakest aspects of the Steelers game?

Ed Bouchette: It's been their passing game, and I suspect that will start improving Sunday.

HeartbreakHotel: Ed, Are Steelers officials worried about any Big Ben protests Sunday?

Ed Bouchette: No. If those were going to happen, they had all summer and the preseason to do it.

BFish: Can Peyton Hillis gain 100 yards on this defense?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think so. they've allowed 1 100-yard rusher in the past 38 games. Michael Turner and Chris Johnson could not do it, I don' think a hobbled Hillis will.

SteelersPSU: Ed, you mentioned a few weeks back that Stefan Logan turned the ball over on a kickoff. Did you see him return his first for a TD this past week?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, and he did a nice job of it. He's now tied with Antonio Brown for kickoff return TDs this season.

Illinois_Steelers_Fan: A lot of the teams that were picked to do well this year are struggling. Why do you think that is and do you think it gives the Steelers a better chance to get into the playoffs?

Ed Bouchette: Every year teams that are picked to do well do not fulfill those expectations. It's not just this year. And I believe that has little to do with whether the Steelers make the playoffs or not. last season, the Steelers beat some of the best the NFL had to offer and lost to some of the worst.

CoachJ: With the rotation going at DLine, is there any thought to using the same at OLB? Are Woirlds and/or Gibson anywhere close to ready for 'prime time'?

Ed Bouchette: No, that's not going to happen, not unless there is a runaway.

86da man: Ed, you've been ignoring me, got a few for you. What do youthink of the steelers WR depth? I think we are short one, all the dominant teams have at least 3 playmakers at WR

Ed Bouchette: I'm not debating you on that statement, but I am skeptical that ALL of the dominant teams have 3. I've said all along that the Steelers need Emmanuel Sanders to move up on the depth chart to have another good deep threat because right now, Mike Wallace is the only one who really can do that consistently.

Nick: whats your stance on the number 2 quarterback?

Ed Bouchette: I don't have a preference, if that's what you mean, and I don't think it really matters. I believe that he will go with Charlie Batch this week because he's healthy and the only QB on the roster who has played this season. If Ben R gets hurt, Batch goes in. If Batch gets hurt, Byron Leftwich goes in. I don't know that it matters who is 2 and 3.

Pittsburgh Jersey: First play from Ben: A) Handoff to Mendenhall, B) Short pass to Hines, C) Deep to Wallace or D) Handoff to Mendenhall, reverse to Wallace, pass to Ben, ineligible man down field?

Ed Bouchette: If his coach were Brad Childress, he'd hand off to Hines Ward, who would hand off to Mike Wallace, who would throw to Ben Roethlisberger. I would expect one of those quick slip screens to a WR or a short slant to heath Miller. Get warmed up a little.

SwissSteel: With Legursky starting, who's the backup to Pouncey?

Ed Bouchette: Doug Legursky. Then whoever is dressed as an extra -- Trai Essex or Ramon Foster would move into right guard.

Keith from Bungleland: Hi Ed. You have expressed concern about the lack of depth at running back should Mendenhall get hurt. Why not bring back Willie Parker? He knows the offense and could give some piece of mind.

Ed Bouchette: That would be a possibility. And the longer the season goes, the fresher will be Willie's legs. They'll still be old legs, but they'll be fresh.

Guest: After suffering the concussion last season Ben said he would start wearing a new/safer helmet type this season. Has he done so?

Ed Bouchette: Yes. the ones with the holes in it. Can't remember the name at the moment.

FireDaveWannstedt: Ed do you anticipate Heath Miller being a bigger part of the passing offense now that Roethlisberger is back?

Ed Bouchette: My, yes. He's caught 10 passes in 4 games, a pace of 40. He set the club TE record last season with 76.

86da man: Ed, your thoughts of the JEts and Rex ryan after last nights game. Are they the Steelres biggest obstacle to SB or ravens/IND?

Ed Bouchette: Jets look good, as long as they can win by kicking field goals. Ravens have beaten Steelers in Pgh, which is a huge edge. Indy will be there at the end. Let the playoffs begin.

edneck: Did James Harrison succeed in getting a buffalo or pig?

Ed Bouchette: He usually gets what he sets out to do. However, it was not on the top of my list this morning, since I took Monday off when the players were here.

ToddinSyracuse: Who scares you in the AFC?

Ed Bouchette: Cincinnati. Scary uniforms. Never did like them, including the helmet.

HeartbreakHotel: Ed, Do you have a best memory of the Steelers-Browns rivalry?

Ed Bouchette: Too many to get into. When I took over the beat in the 1980s, we'd always get Stelers-Browns stories from the players this week. That doesn't happen anymore because the rivalry is Steelers-Ravens. I used to get Art Modell on the phone and he'd spin stories for me going back to the days they played preseason doubleheaders in Cleveland with the Steelers. I remember standing on the field near the end of one game in old Cleveland Stadium, behind the Steelers bench, the dog biscuits littering the field and clunking off player helmets.

Joe: Santonio seemed to play pretty well last night. Your impression?

Ed Bouchette: Typical Santonio. Made a couple good catches, made a big show of getting a first down on one, and dropped a crucial third-down pass.

SteelersPSU: Ed, worst uniforms in the NFL: Browns or Bengals?

Ed Bouchette: Just worst in AFC, Bengals.

MissingBC: How do you feel when Tomlin takes his shots at you guys for predicting such a lousy start without Ben?

Ed Bouchette: He's a coach. It's what they do.

tx_steeler: Would the Steelers ever "make noise" to the league if Favre walks away without a suspension (assuming he did it)?

Ed Bouchette: That's really not their style. Plus, they helped craft Ben's suspension.

BBforMayor: It seems that Colt McCoy is a pretty likeable guy. Do you feel bad for him if he gets thrown in there Sunday to make his first NFL start against this defense with his surrounding cast?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers have some pretty likeable guys on defense, too.

OnTheMend-enhall: Eddie, I skip class every Tuesday to be here for this chat, so tell me: what do you think of this game Sunday? And how do you think Ben is going to perform?

Ed Bouchette: You skipped classes to ask that? Sunday will be like no other, the return of a player many people loved to hate the past spring. I think he will perform well.

SteelerinVA: Why is spiking the football NOT intentional grounding?

Ed Bouchette: Becuase they passed a rule saying it isn't.

HeartbreakHotel: Ed, who is the No. 2 man behind you if Dulac goes down with an illness?

Ed Bouchette: We'll go with the wildcat.

ToddinSyracuse: Ed, Seems like the team didn't even show up last week. Stat sheet might as well have been empty. I blame Arians...

Ed Bouchette: I blame those keeping the stats.

Todd: Is it a requirement to name one of the other two QBs as 2nd? Can they just go in with two other guys at the position in no particular order and use them as the game dictates, if at all?

Ed Bouchette: They can dress 45 players for the game, 46 if they name one a third QB. So, while it's not a requirement to list a No. 2, it's an advantage to do so.

jim: Has Isaac Redman's stock gone up? he seems to do everything asked of him and more.

Ed Bouchette: He's getting more playing time and being used in different ways -- in the pony backfield, as a fullback and on third downs. And if he has any stock at all, it most likely went up in September and early October with the Dow cllimbing over 11,000.

43: Is the four-game stretch after the Browns the toughest on the Steelers's schedule? Which game will be the toughest? How do you predict they will do?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, it is the toughest; the game in new Orleans, I believe; I think they will go 2-2.

Ed Bouchette: That's it. See you next Tuesday.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019
Default Re: Ed Bouchette Chat Transcript 10.12.2010

Ah Ed... I always love his sarcastic smart-ass remarks
Old 10-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Ed is pretty spot-on when he makes predictions. He all but called our collapse last year. Still, I'm not sure how he figures a team that went 3-1 against what turned out to be the cream of the league without Ben will go 2-2 with him.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
kirklandrules
Team Captain

Member Number: 8659

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Ed is pretty spot-on when he makes predictions. He all but called our collapse last year. Still, I'm not sure how he figures a team that went 3-1 against what turned out to be the cream of the league without Ben will go 2-2 with him.
Very few sports writers predict good things for the teams they cover. Bunch of pessimistic slobs.
kirklandrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

He commented on Santonio's dramatics when he got a first down. I saw that too and rolled my eyes "He's still doing that?" It annoys me so much. lol
Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

He was a lot nicer this week,after getting smashed in the mouth for his smart ass remarks last week........
Old 10-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
ricardisimo
Administrator

He got smashed in the mouth? You realize it's a chat, right? No one's actually in the room with him.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Ed's never paid that $250 copyright infringement fee he owes me for the Run Dixon Run! line he stole and made into an article
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklandrules View Post
Very few sports writers predict good things for the teams they cover. Bunch of pessimistic slobs.
I think Ed does a nice job myself and enjoy his articles and chats for sure. I think a writers job is to report news and maybe give his opinion, but not to give the other team any added hate towards the teams that they are covering. As far as Holmes celebrations . . . He has made a few Decent Catches for our Steelers I think . . he made 1 in particular in super bowl XLIII that I heard No One Crying about the next day.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Ed's never paid that $250 copyright infringement fee he owes me for the Run Dixon Run! line he stole and made into an article
Did you smash him in the mouth?