Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,906 Times in 4,515 Posts
Default Painting found behind sofa may be $300-million Michelangelo piece

simply amazing if the work turns out to be real. it would easilly be the most valuable masterpiece painting ever sold. mr. kobler says the painting will tour the world after restoration, and isnt sure if he will sell it.

Quote:
Niagara Falls - A painting that a New York family had placed behind the back of a sofa for more than 30 years could be a lost Michelangelo worth around $300 million.
Martin Kober, a retired pilot from Niagara Falls, New York had the painting passed down to him from his great-grandfather. He had once hung it in the living room where it remained for decades. Then in the mid 1970s, a stray tennis ball knocked the 15th century renaissance painter's work onto the floor. Still undamaged however, it was wrapped up and placed behind the sofa until recently.

Antonio Forcellino, a Michelangelo biographer and art historian, is convinced the lost work is what he refers to as The Lost Pieta is genuine. He told the Sunday Times:
I had assumed it was going to be a copy. In reality, this painting was even more beautiful than the versions hanging in Rome and Florence. The truth was this painting was much better than the ones they had! I had visions of telling them that there was this crazy guy in America telling everyone he had a Michelangelo at home.

Forcellino added:
The first time I saw it, I was so struck by the strength of it that I felt breathless. Only a genius could have painted this; the darkness which underscores the suffering, the Virgin who looks as if she's screaming and the figure of Christ after he has been deposed from the cross. It's small, but the technique is extraordinary.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/articl...#ixzz12JFFMEos
Old 10-13-2010, 08:39 PM   #2
steelax04
Head Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Painting found behind sofa may be $300-million Michelangelo piece

I wish stuff I put behind my sofa for 30 years turned out to be worth millions...

Something worth THAT much money... I don't know if I would sell it either. Lend it to museums and have them pay me for borrowing it.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Painting found behind sofa may be $300-million Michelangelo piece

Things that are worth so much tend to be worth nothing because no one buys art anymore. This person should auction it, and half of the money can go to charity and half to him/her. Because of the charity aspect, there might be more interest to pay more for it. Could get around 25 mil or so... Ther average person makes around 1.5 mil in their whole life time. You can live on like 12.5 mil comfortably.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote