Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default solomon wilcox on willie parker

he was on sirius saying that the 75 yd td run willie had in the sb was there several times in the 1st half and willie had the guard beat to the point but kept trying to bounce it outside (hence the early game running struggles and converting 1st downs) we have all seen the clip of jerome coaching willie on the sidelines. wicox relayed that at halftime they talked to willie. showed him what he was doing wrong and calmed him down to be more patient and wait for the plays to develop. next thing you know he has the longest run in sb history.

point is the dude is coachable and learns quick. eager to correct his mistakes even on the biggest stage. while i think we should draft a rb in the 1st 3 rounds i hope its to replace jerome or duce, not willie. i think it may take another year for him to finally catch up to other running backs who have started in college, but when he does watch out.

but i must admitt the thought of willie and lendale white splitting carries, like in USC with reggie bush, is awfully intriguing.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:58 PM   #2
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604
Default Re: solomon wilcox on willie parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
while i think we should draft a rb in the 1st 3 rounds i hope its to replace jerome or duce, not willie.
I would think most everyone agrees that we need to have a reliable short yardage/power back now that Jerome is gone.
Willie sets up the opposing teams defense with his speed, finesse and the Steelers need to find that guy to finish them off with the smash mouth power.

Sorry, but I don't trust Duce's health to be that guy.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

You may not need to...I honestly think the Steelers will pick up a big back in the 2nd or 3rd as Duce's replacement for this year if he gets injured again, or next year if he doesn't.

Notice the terms of Duce's new contract? It all incentive laden, him needing to do things a gimpy back could never do to earn all that extra jack.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

Parker has a lot to learn (he barely even played in college or his first year in the NFL), yet he had 1,200 yards last year. Nice problem for the Steelers.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,043 Times in 550 Posts

If parker learns like he did in the Super Bowl, Parker has potential to be a 2000 yard back. I do not think most steeler fans realize how amazingly fast he really is. If he learns how to be patient and can see things better, it will be very scaring for teams. And with that scare of him going all the way, it will put HUGE pressure on the Secondary because if they want to play the pass and Willie gets a lane, the defense is screwed. If we cant get Lendale, then I think we have to give Parker a chance to really see where he is at in 2006.

I keep thinking about the Steelers in 2006 and with the FO signings so far, and if we can draft a Carpenter and a Nance, I am seriously scared for teams in the NFL. If the Steelers stay heathy, I just cant see them not repeating. I cant even type the thousand senerios that are due to happen next year. Look at our skill positions, we have a 3rd year QB, a 3rd year RB, a 2nd yr TE, a 3rd year RT, our team is so young they have already won. Its very promising if you are a Steeler fan and I anxious already for th draft and the new year to come...
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

We kept BOTH our coordinators after a Super Bowl win, too. That's HUGE.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 07:29 PM   #7
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

willie is going to do nothing in years to come but improve.......he did a great job this year, and hes going to get better.........it would be nice to get a big short yard back....
Old 03-18-2006, 11:01 PM   #8
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

If we could guarantee Duce to stay Healthy I'd have no worries about our running game. But with Willie as the only normally healthy, knock on wood, back that we have..we'll make sure we have insurance by draft time one way or the other.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
If we could guarantee Duce to stay Healthy I'd have no worries about our running game. But with Willie as the only normally healthy, knock on wood, back that we have..we'll make sure we have insurance by draft time one way or the other.
Well said! I couldnt agree more! We need a crystal ball to see the Duce Staley future!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I think Willie will not only improve with waiting for plays to develop but I think he will be able to run with more power this year.He wasn't in game condition due to barley playing in college and basicly not playing at all his first year.

Does anyone remember the power game he showed his first game?It's not Bus or Duce power,but it's enough to get 3-4 yards with if you get a small hole.He just broke down as the season went on,kinda like Ben did his rookie year.

I seriously think we can get 1500 yards a season outta Fast Willie.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote