Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Kick returning: Enter Sanders

Kick returning: Enter Sanders
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...r-sanders.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Friday October 15, 2010 12:16 AM

Antonio Brown ranks seventh in the NFL in kickoff returns, but on Sunday he won’t drop back against Cleveland.

That’s because Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has decided to make a change. Brown is out and Emmanuel Sanders is in. Both are rookie wide receivers.

“It’s been a great competition between the two,” offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. “Emmanuel has been ahead in the receivers part, but behind in the special teams part. But this is his week.”

Sanders, a third-round draft pick out of SMU, averaged 23.0 yards on two kickoff returns in the season opener.

Brown, a sixth-round pick out of Central Michigan, has returned kickoffs the past three games and had an 89-yard TD return in the Sept. 19 win at Tennessee. He averages 31.3 yards per return. Brown also has one catch for 6 yards.
Advertisement Click Here

But against the Browns, it’s likely that Brown will be one of eight game-day inactives.

Sanders, who hasn’t dressed the past three weeks, said he’s been bothered by an injured thigh muscle.

“In that first game against Atlanta, I was only about 85 percent (healthy),” he said. “I wasn’t myself. But I’m excited about this week. I’m looking forward to being out there 100 percent.” Mike Bires
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727
Default Re: Kick returning: Enter Sanders

I personally would not tinker with things that have been working just fine-- don't fix it if it still works. I would like to see Sanders get some touches on the ball, but not at the expense of experimenting with a unit that is already functioning properly.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,135 Times in 541 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Ive been VERY eager to see Sanders in at WR, but even in preseason when they were both healthy I remember Brown being far more successful at kick returns. I wish we would just make Battle inactive and let em both go out there, these two talents are too good to waste
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

I can't get past what seems the obvious question: Why should either one of these two be inactive? Why is Randle El dressing? I'm sure Brown or Sanders can fair catch with the best of them.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:59 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,288 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
I can't get past what seems the obvious question: Why should either one of these two be inactive? Why is Randle El dressing? I'm sure Brown or Sanders can fair catch with the best of them.
well from what i've read, both of them are still a work in progress as far as knowing assignments and route running. we seen a pick in preseason (denver ?) that was a result of running the wrong route. ... if anyone should give up their uni, as phanton said, it should be battle. the special teams demon has 2 tackles.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #6
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
I personally would not tinker with things that have been working just fine-- don't fix it if it still works. I would like to see Sanders get some touches on the ball, but not at the expense of experimenting with a unit that is already functioning properly.
Out KR is mediocre and our PR sucks. Have you seen any Tenn games (other than when we played them)? That kid #83 is really good.

Maybe it is the units fault because there is never any time for anything but a fair catch on punts.

I'm all for giving Sanders a try. As long as he doesn't fumble, he's good.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #7
SteelKnight
Team President

Member Number: 16119

Quote:
ARE has been impressing me with his route running. I've been looking even when he doesn't get the ball. I'd like to see how he does a couple of games with Ben. Trust me...I was the one bashing him the most but he has looked better than I thought. He seems to be getting open. This week should be a good test. I would like someone faster though so if Sanders can step in, great.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
well from what i've read, both of them are still a work in progress as far as knowing assignments and route running. we seen a pick in preseason (denver ?) that was a result of running the wrong route. ... if anyone should give up their uni, as phanton said, it should be battle. the special teams demon has 2 tackles.
Yeah, Battle has to go as well, no doubt. He seems to be not even useless. But we're discussing receivers getting on the field as PRs and/or KRs, and I have to ask why ARE has a return job. He's made a few clutch catches, and I'm grateful, but if he was dressing as a PR and the emergency QB, well I'm hoping both of those rationales are gone now.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,288 Times in 1,824 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, Battle has to go as well, no doubt. He seems to be not even useless. But we're discussing receivers getting on the field as PRs and/or KRs, and I have to ask why ARE has a return job. He's made a few clutch catches, and I'm grateful, but if he was dressing as a PR and the emergency QB, well I'm hoping both of those rationales are gone now.
if you remember , there were times when tomlin elected to have memo field punts instead of logan. of course its just speculation , but maybe there's something during practice that makes tomlin a little nervous about the younger guys....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
Ive been VERY eager to see Sanders in at WR, but even in preseason when they were both healthy I remember Brown being far more successful at kick returns. I wish we would just make Battle inactive and let em both go out there, these two talents are too good to waste
I agree 100%
BengalDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote