Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-14-2006, 07:34 PM   #11
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts
Default Re: Steelers sign Brett Keisel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder
Have you been watching the same Kimo I was?? He was a stalwart d lineman! Sorry to disagree but I have never heard him mentioned as a weaker link. That said I am really happy to hear they signed Keisel, as to it being an upgrade only time will tell.
So what about Clark don't know much about him? He's got a big shoes to fill in Hope's case.
For those who think Kimo is a weak link, go watch the super bowl and see how Kimo was manhandling Walter Jones on a few occasions. Also, this season was Kimo's best season. He hasnt lost a damn thing which is amazing for a guy in his 14th year. We did not lose Kimo because of ability, we lost him because we couldnt afford to pay him 3 mil a year. I think Kimo's services in pitt was A+, he has a championship and god bless him in New York because he was the epitome of what a Steeler and a football player is all about....
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
MichiSteeler
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 959

Great! I think he'll be very productive on our line.

"The Steelers drafted guys who were bigger, stronger and faster than I, but they never found one who could take my job away from me."- Jack Lambert

Go Buckeyes and Spartans!
MichiSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:45 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

Smart moves all the way around - Steelers sign the future starter in Keisel - Kimo gets a well deserved farewell payday - Jets get a lineman to replace John Abraham.

Chris Hope was a solid contributor but as Tony noted above, if you do not settle up with the Steelers prior to your FA year then you are gone.

My main concern with the Clark signing is that since the Redskins overpaid yesterday for a FA safety (Aucheletta) with coverage problems why did they not want to spend on Clark?
I have no clue as to what Clark's strengths and weaknesses are; Pasquerelli of espn.com did not list Clark in the top 50 FAs (Hope was #19)

Sounds like the Steelers FA season is about over (lose ARE, Hope & Kimo, re-sign Keisel, replace Hope with Clark)
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:10 PM   #14
tim686
Water Boy

Member Number: 2147

Hate to see Chris and Kimo go but got to go for younger blood
Old 03-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #15
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

Kimo was a strength no doubt. But we would never have signed him for that money, never.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #16
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Good news, to be expected and most importantly.....very smart in opinion.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder
Have you been watching the same Kimo I was?? He was a stalwart d lineman! Sorry to disagree but I have never heard him mentioned as a weaker link. That said I am really happy to hear they signed Keisel, as to it being an upgrade only time will tell.
So what about Clark don't know much about him? He's got a big shoes to fill in Hope's case.
i think kimo is great and the epitome of a true steeler. i never understood people calling him a "weak link" but the weakest link of the 3 dl is a little more understandable. i hate to see him go, but teams are looking at keisel as the next potential "m. vravel" to leave the steelers and blow up elsewhere. its a good and fiscally responsible move to make. but i will miss kimo.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:03 PM   #18
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Here's the story:
Steelers sign Brett Keisel and free agent Redskins' safety

Also talking to Browns' tight end

Tuesday, March 14, 2006
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers said hello to Brett Keisel and Ryan Clark and goodbye to Kimo von Oelhoffen and Chris Hope this evening.

The Steelers have signed Keisel and Clark, both defensive players, to four-year contracts, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Keisel, 27, a backup defensive end, was signed at virtually the same time that the New York Jets were signing von Oelhoffen, 35, a Steelers' starter at that position since 2000, to a three-year contract.

Then the Steelers turned to Clark, a Washington Redskins free agent, to fill their opening at free safety. They had tried to re-sign Hope, who started at the position the past two seasons, but he balked at their offer and is looking elsewhere.

Clark (5-11, 200), had 57 tackles and three interceptions in 13 games as Washington's starting strong safety last season. He played his first two season with the Giants and the past two with the Redskins.

Keisel will become the Steelers' starting right defensive end next season and Clark will start at free safety.

No money terms were immediately available for Keisel and Clark, but the Jets gave von Oelhoffen a $3.2 million signing bonus as part of his three-year, $9.2 million deal.

"It's a little bittersweet for Kimo vecause he loved it in Pittsburgh," said agent Mark Bartelstein. "He loved playing for coach Cowher and the Rooneys. This was just a great opportunity that opened up and he couldn't pass it up. He had nothing but good memories there and he appreciated everything the Steeelers have done for him and his relationship there."

The Steelers also entertained tight end Aaron Shea of the Cleveland Browns today.
It could be a sign that they expect to lose No. 2 tight end Jerame Tuman as an unrestricted free agents.

Tuman has reportedly spurned offers from the Steelers

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com...073/670171.stm

Aaron Shea? I don't want him?! Tuman, don't want him either? How can he balk at any of our offers? Who does he think will sign him?

Bye Kimo, it was great, and the best of Luck to you in NY. Class act.

Glad that Kiesel signed!

Chris you were good, but not that good.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 10:08 PM   #19
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217

This is what the Steelers do....develop players...lock them up...and when that contract comes up again...they wont overpay..they'll let them go, and bring up the new blood.

It's worked forever..it still works
Old 03-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #20
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

This is awesome news!
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote