Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-15-2006, 10:02 AM   #11
drizze99
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1070
Default Re: I want THIS guy

I'm on the Nance bandwagon. I have always been and will continue to push for him. I think he would be a great pick at #64.

"You win by attrition. You impose your will on your opponent." ~ Mike Tomlin
drizze99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #12
siss
Team Captain

Member Number: 1611

And then he can play with a chip on shoulder to try and make the 63 other teams that didnt take wish they had.
We retain the underdog role even as champions! I'll take it!

He's ready, Steelers fans. His ordeal over, his return will be complete come Saturday in Arizona, when football again becomes the focus and a career briefly interrupted resumes.
~SI aticle 2006~
siss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #13
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,043 Times in 550 Posts

The guy catches TD's. When a reciever catches TD's, he has much value. Plus he has a history with Big Ben, I see no reason not to draft him if he is available in the 2nd or hopefully in the 3rd....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:31 PM   #14
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,043 Times in 550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve
Nobody would have caught Willie on that run even if they ran the 40 in 2.5 seconds. He made people miss, and all of a sudden anyone within 10 yards of him had fallen on their butts, was the key factor there.

Speed alone does not make a player a big-play threat or a "possession" guy. It gives you a slight advantage, but I'd put it about 15th on any list of things that would separare a good receiver from an excellent one.

And I honestly don't know whether Nance has all the moves and skills to make him a great receiver. I haven't seen much of the guy. I'm just saying you shouldn't discount him based on speed alone. Maybe it turns out he doesn't have any special moves and can't get himself open. In which case we should forget about him. I'd just look for other things besides speed in a WR.
Trufant had the angle on Parker on that run and he still couldnt get him. Willie is the fastest running since Bo Jackson. The only running back I have ever seen that had a long career, talent and lighnting speed, was Tony Doresett..
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #15
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

There are many variables in any player, heart is probably one of the biggest and most difficult to assess.

I'm not saying that Martin Nance wouldn't be a good choice but we already have hands (Ward), size (Morgan, Washington) so a true speedster is something we could use to keep the defensive secondaries back on their heels.

Also the scouts rate Moss higher than Nance so I've got to go with them.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 PM   #16
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

The biggest difference between playing receiver in College and the NFL is the ability to gain seperation. That's why I sold out on Nance. I think he has the ability to seperate from the excellent talent he'll face across from him in the NFL. It's not just size (Steve Smith can do it), and it's not just speed (Anquan Boldin was clocked at 4.7 in his 40 at the combine), it's just something WR's either have or they don't.

Nance proved to me he could seperate when he caught 9 passes for 106 yards against Ohio State last year. Some guys don't have it...he does.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
This is what cracks me up about 40-yard dash times. You run a 4.40, you're fast. You run a 4.55, and you're struggling.

But think about how this works on the football field. If you're a tenth of a second faster than a defensive back in the 40, it means you'll be a whole two or three feet ahead of him on a 40-yard bomb if you were both running full-tilt straight down the field. That's nothing. Defensive backs have no problem tackling you or knocking down the ball when you're less than a yard away. One decent move will get you much more wide open.

The ability to make moves, find holes, and most importantly, catch the ball and hold on to it when it doesn't hit you right in the numbers, is what makes a good receiver. Everybody's fast in the NFL; you're not just going to run past the cornerbacks, and they're not going to be able to cover you just because they're fast either.

If the 40 time was that important, James Jett would hold every receiving record, and Jerry Rice wouldn't have ever made it on an NFL roster. In his prime, Rice ran a 4.6 in the 40, for chrissakes. I haven't seen much of Nance, but if his moves and hands are there, I say go for him. His "slow" speed only works in our favor, since people won't use a high pick on him.
that 2-3 feet is everything. that is the difference of being a good offense and a great offense. it is why so much emphasis is put on the 40 times for offensive players or defenders. its all about the match -ups when plays are drawn up, the ones where 2-3 feet of seperation is created are the ones that win every time, especially in the downfield passing game.

i keep hearing s. moss but has the steelers ever drafted someone from the U? i cant think of any, let alone any position players.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #18
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
Speed alone does not make a player a big-play threat or a "possession" guy. It gives you a slight advantage, but I'd put it about 15th on any list of things that would separare a good receiver from an excellent one.
That's a ridiculous statement!... you gotta tell me the first 14 things that are more important to a wide receiver than speed. Some receivers have done well with what is not considered a fast 40 time, but it sure helps.

Alot of people put too much stock in the 40 times, but I think it is important in this case. I want to them to find a player to play in the X spot opposite Ward. That is the position that runs most of the deep routes. The ability to get off the line, accelerate, and find that extra gear down the feild is very helpfull.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #19
chumley
Water Boy

Member Number: 870

There's more to life than 40 times..

www.facemeike.com

-- Don't believe the hype. Create your own. --
chumley is offline   Reply With Quote