Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default QBs Roethlisberger, McCoy stand out

QBs Roethlisberger, McCoy stand out
By James Walker
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/print?id=19067

PITTSBURGH -- Although their goals are much different, quarterbacks Ben Roethlisberger and Colt McCoy offered plenty of hope for their teams Sunday.

For the Pittsburgh Steelers (4-1), Roethlisberger showed why the Steelers -- who beat the Cleveland Browns 28-10 at Heinz Field -- are legit contenders for their second Super Bowl title in three years. For Cleveland (1-5), McCoy's performance in his NFL debut showed the Browns that they finally may have a longterm solution at quarterback.

Coming off a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, Roethlisberger threw for 257 yards, three touchdowns and an interception in his first game since January. His quarterback rating was 112.7. McCoy, a third-round draft choice from Texas, impressed by fending off Pittsburgh's aggressive defense and throwing for 281 yards and one touchdown. McCoy, picked off twice, made some rookie mistakes but played much better than expected.

Roethlisberger understood what the performances meant for both franchises and congratulated McCoy after the game.

"I was proud of him," said Roethlisberger, who improved to 11-1 all time against the Browns. "It was not an easy task that he had today, on the road against our defense. I told him I was proud. I thought he played well and to keep his head up. We will see him down the road. He's got a long, really good career (ahead), I believe."

Browns coach Eric Mangini wouldn't commit to McCoy afterward, but the rookie surely has earned another start next week, against the New Orleans Saints. Veterans Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace are recovering from ankle injuries, and chances are neither player will be 100 percent.

McCoy, whose passing total was a season-high for Cleveland, was sacked five times and took nine other hits but still made several good plays.

"I prepare every week like I'm the starter; I think because of that, it's helped me grow to where I am right now," McCoy said. "Obviously, you don't want to come here and lose. I go into each game expecting to win, expecting to play good. That's why I'm here, that's why they drafted me."

Roethlisberger, who received a loud pre-game ovation from fans Sunday, shook off some rust early to energize Pittsburgh offense. He threw an interception on the Steelers' opening drive, but settled down to throw for two touchdowns in the second half to put the game out of reach.

Ward
Hines Ward got on the same page quickly with Ben Roethlisberger, catching an 8-yard TD pass.
Pittsburgh entered the game ranked last on offense overall and last in passing under backup quarterbacks Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon. But Roethlisberger connected on five plays of 20 yards or more. In one scoring drive in the third quarter, Roethlisberger completed a 50-yard pass to receiver Mike Wallace, a 36-yard pass to tight end Heath Miller and an 8-yard touchdown throw to Hines Ward. It was the first time this season that Pittsburgh made offense look easy and was able to gain yards in bunches.

Roethlisberger, who completed 16 of 27 passes, admitted he left "a lot of plays out there" and his accuracy isn't all the way back. He badly overthrew Wallace for a potentially huge gain down the right sideline in the second half, a completion Roethlisberger usually makes easily.

"The ball was coming out what we call 'hot,' coming out high and strong," Roethlisberger explained.

Once Roethlisberger's eliminates the rust, Pittsburgh will be one of the NFL's more balanced and dangerous offenses. Running back Rashard Mendenhall rushed for 84 yards and a touchdown, and Pittsburgh put up 378 total yards without the offense playing its best for at least one half.

"I really didn't want [Roethlisberger] to be flawless coming back," Wallace said. "Then, we wouldn't really have anything to work on ... I think it's going to make for a better team because, come Wednesday, we go back to practice and we're going to work even harder."

But Sunday was a great starting point for Roethlisberger -- and McCoy.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 AM   #2
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
Default Re: QBs Roethlisberger, McCoy stand out

I can see the headlines now...the Real McCoy.

I have to say that I was impressed with the kid.

Not too long ago, Ben had to start the same way...
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
I can see the headlines now...the Real McCoy.

I have to say that I was impressed with the kid.

Not too long ago, Ben had to start the same way...
Not really. Ben landed on soft pillows with a great team around him. McCoy's got nothing. His only help got knocked into next Tuesday. I didn't watch the game, unfortunately, but the stat sheet would suggest that the kid's got real potential. Good for him.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:41 AM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Not really. Ben landed on soft pillows with a great team around him. McCoy's got nothing. His only help got knocked into next Tuesday. I didn't watch the game, unfortunately, but the stat sheet would suggest that the kid's got real potential. Good for him.
McCoy doesn't have nothing. He was hit around during the game, but he begain to mature through out the game making more plays, finding open recievers, and using his feet.

He was actually causing more trouble for himself running around, the offensive line did a pretty good job, but Farrior and Timmons both had a very quick sack at the begining of the game, they got in the backfield within like a milisecond after the ball was snapped, had McCoy 2nd guessing his line play and trying to make plays with his feet when he didn't have to.

He has a running game in Hillis and a good special teams. Hillis would have run for 100 yards on the Steelers if the Browns weren't playing from behind and passing the whole game.
The defense is in the works, but it had Ben confused a couple times. Browns Coordinator is not too bad, he just hasn't had good players to work with. He was able to have a top 10 defense with the Raiders for goodness sakes, and their washed up players and draft busts. Give him another year and that defense will look a lot better. I think the Browns will bring the Rivalry back to life in the near future.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #5
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

The Steelers have a bad habit of making QBS look good...That being said.....The kid showed some of the qaulities that don't show up on a stat sheet.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925

I thought McCoy handled himself well seeing as he went up against one of the best defenses. Come 4th quarter, he still didn't seem too shaken or intimidated as their QBs has in the past, most noticeably Frye...
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Ben inherited a 6 - 10 team.............How good was that.........
Old 10-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

McCoy? Not bad! But most of his passes went to running backs. Impressed, not so much. Not bad though.

I was actually surprised that we laid off him at times.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Hillis would have run for 100 yards on the Steelers if the Browns weren't playing from behind and passing the whole game.
Interesting theory except the browns WERENT playing from behind the entire game. They were playing with a tie or with the lead until middle of the 2nd quarter and the game stayed within 4 points until middle of the 3rd.
Hillis was only averaging a little over 3 a carry so in order for him to break 100 he would have had to have gotten a HUGE run or carried the ball 30 plus times.

As for the performance of McCoy, don't let the numbers fool you, a good chunk of his passing yardage came after the Steelers went up by 18 and the game was without of reach, the TD drive and their last drive had to account for over 120 yards of his passing.
Still, McCoy didn't look too bad, he threw short a lot and didn't try to force things too much he was better than I expected.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

So the love fest continues in part here for mCcoy? If he came out any whiter he wouldve been albino.

The Steelers played typical 4th quarter up on the lead defense. Even the crowd had enough and was chanting Defense. Enough with this playing soft with the lead crap. It bit us with the Ravens, it almost bit us with the titans.

As much as we hate hate brady and Belicheck, those boys in the past know how to close out a game. All we did was pad up McCoys stats with bs yardage and let him score on a 20 yards wide open pass where people in the bathroom were closer to guarding the wr.
Theh olding plays have got to stop, lluckily for mccoy they were hooding or he may have been killed back there. But if memory serve me correct, not one holding call occured on harrison or woodley? Impossible. He was lucky he didn't wind up like Cribbs an dknicked into next week.

McCoy will not be any big qb in the NFL. He has been catered too his entire life. He was taken out of the bowl game last year with a damage shoulder and pouted on the sideline the rest of the game not even once cheering for the freshman QB that had to go in for the first time it was shown all over the tape that day.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote