Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ben Roethlisberger on sexual assault allegation: 'No truth to it at all'

Ben Roethlisberger on sexual assault allegation: 'No truth to it at all'
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...to-it-at-all/1

Pittsburgh Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger, who returned to action for the first time this season on Sunday, said the sexual assault allegation police investigated him for last spring was meritless.

In an interview with CBS, Roethlisberger, who served a four-game suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy, said he did nothing wrong.

"You get accused of things and it hurts, especially when you know that there is no truth to it at all," Roethlisberger told CBS. "I could sit here and say honestly that I would never and have never harmed a female and never would."

The CBS interview was conducted by analyst Bill Cowher, who formerly coach Roethlisberger with the Steelers.

Prosecutors declined to charge Roethlisberger after police investigated a sexual assault complaint by a 20-year-old woman in Georgia. Roethlisberger was not arrested. In June, he apologized for "dumb" and "immature" behavior after NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended him and ordered him into behavioral counseling.

"I mean, I have a sister. I'm the only boy in the family, I'm the only grandson," Roethlisberger told CBS. "So, I would never ever do that and there's vicious allegations that are not true and it does hurt and it's not fun to be accused of things."

Roethlisberger has avoided speaking specifically about his culpability in the sexual assault investigation before now. He has said repeatedly since the start of the preseason that he feels he will behave more maturely.

He told CBS that as the investigation swirled in the spring -- and as his fate with the Steelers was in limbo -- the two-time Super Bowl winner considered retiring.

"All I wanted to do when I was a little kid was play football. That's all you think about is throwing touchdown passes and winning Super Bowls," Roethlisberger said. "You don't think about the media, the interviews all the little things that go with it. So, part of me was just like 'You know what? Maybe I don't want to play anymore. Maybe I'll just be done and go do something else with my life.'"

"I thought long and hard about it and realized that I would miss the game of football, but I'd miss my teammates. Those guys are my family and I'd miss them too much."

Roethlisberger was met largely with cheers when he returned to action with the Steelers on Sunday.

-- Sean Leahy
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,944 Times in 2,279 Posts
My Mood: Angelic
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger on sexual assault allegation: 'No truth to it at all'

I wish the media would let this story die already. The allegation was made, Ben served his suspension, and it's time to move on. We won't forget, but I'm tired of hearing about it. Just play ball!
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #3
Need4spd
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1707
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger on sexual assault allegation: 'No truth to it at all'

I heard several members of the media today say that they were disappointed in him from an off the field stand point because he denied doing anything wrong, thereby showing no remorse for his actions. I contend that he has handled himself extremely well throughout this process since the incident, and in fact has shown remorse and contrition for his actions. Having said that, he was ACCUSED, not charged, much less convicted of any wrong doing. What is he supposed to do... Admit to something that he didn't do if in fact he really did nothing wrong? He admitted to putting himself in a bad situation and basically using poor judgement. Okay, fair enough.

Let us not forget, there actually is a distinct possibility that in fact he did nothing wrong. There still seems to be an underlying assumption of guilt here, and I just don't understand why. Is it just so unfathomable that he didn't do anything wrong? Anyone remember the Duke Lacrosse team a few years back? Everyone and their brother was ready to BBQ those kids at the stake. How quick we are to judge...

Make no mistake, I was and still am disgusted at the negative light shown on Ben and the Steelers as a result of all this. It flies in the face of everything the Steelers and the Rooney family has stood for. He is absolutely guilty of terrible judgement. He has no business being in some hole in the hole college bar in the middle of God's nowhere. Like it or not there are some simple pleasures in life that celebrities are compelled to give up. The point is that just because he used poor judgement and put himself in a situation he never should have been in doesn't automatically mean that he is guilty of sexual assault just because he was accused of it. I don't know the all the details, but I am sure that the local authorities would loved to have made a name for themselves if in fact there was a case to be made.

Now that he's finally returned to the playing field it really is time that we all move on already.
"The nature of a man who has a competitive spirit will be to inevitably live a life which involves that man overcoming obstacles. But the sport of football is too physically and emotionally difficult to play simply for money or success. Personally, I have been inspired by God."

- Troy Polamalu, Media Day at Super Bowl XL
Need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,473 Times in 3,330 Posts

When i heard those comments made by Roethlisberger I assumed he was coached up not to go off message during his interview with Cowher and would not be surprised if any questions relating to the alleged assaults were agreed by CBS to be submitted in advance

With regard to the Nevada case, which I guess is still going on, no surprise he would deny everything

But with regard to the Georgia allegations, my assumption has been there was a civil settlement to pay some $$ to the accuser, in return for which the settlement agreement would provide Roethlisberger and the Georgia accuser would say nothing to disparage the other party to the agreement - saying "there's vicious allegations that are not true" (aka she was lying) might violate the terms of the settlement agreement and open up an action for more $$

Better to have simply said you are glad to have the Georgia matter behind you and are looking forward rather than back in order to be the best teammate, son and brother you can be
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,382 Times in 3,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Better to have simply said you are glad to have the Georgia matter behind you and are looking forward rather than back in order to be the best teammate, son and brother you can be
definitely woulda been better to say that, but him saying what he did makes me believe his side of the story even more, and that she wanted it just as much as he.

Quote:
With regard to the Nevada case, which I guess is still going on, no surprise he would deny everything

saying "there's vicious allegations that are not true" (aka she was lying) might violate the terms of the settlement agreement and open up an action for more $$
put back into context he could easilly say he was clearly refering to mcnutty and not the GA girl.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
definitely woulda been better to say that, but him saying what he did makes me believe his side of the story even more, and that she wanted it just as much as he.

put back into context he could easilly say he was clearly refering to mcnutty and not the GA girl.
True enough - at least that is what will be claimed if the Georgia accuser's attorneys start crying foul
Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,382 Times in 3,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
True enough - at least that is what will be claimed if the Georgia accuser's attorneys start crying foul
so you really think they settled? wouldnt that fact have soemhow leaked by now, or would thay make a deal that any leak renders it null and void?
Old 10-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4spd View Post
I heard several members of the media today say that they were disappointed in him from an off the field stand point because he denied doing anything wrong, thereby showing no remorse for his actions. I contend that he has handled himself extremely well throughout this process since the incident, and in fact has shown remorse and contrition for his actions. Having said that, he was ACCUSED, not charged, much less convicted of any wrong doing. What is he supposed to do... Admit to something that he didn't do if in fact he really did nothing wrong? He admitted to putting himself in a bad situation and basically using poor judgement. Okay, fair enough.
Interviews are usually like half hour long, they are cut to bits to make people seem the way the league wants them to seem.
There's also a chance Ben was told he shouldn't say anything on air to make him look worse than he already does to many people.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
so you really think they settled? wouldnt that fact have soemhow leaked by now, or would thay make a deal that any leak renders it null and void?
Confidentialty agreement would cover it with disclosure by either party breaching the settlement and it is easier to cover your tracks since she never filed a lawsuit that would need to be dismissed (if the Nevada case gets dismissed assume she got paid too) - you will notice Roethlisberger's interview with Cowher was not live and edited - no questions about whether there was a civil settlement even asked

I have a hard time believing she just decided to let bygones be bygones and have her time in the bathroom in Milledgeville simply be a teachable moment - her Atlanta attorney Lee Parks is not shy about litigating cases
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
I don't think there's been a settlement. Kobe's was known immediatly.