Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default NFL from the sidelines, Post-Cleveland thoughts

NFL from the sidelines

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Sunday, October 17, 2010
Post-Cleveland thoughts

At 4-1, the Steelers find themselves in a pretty good spot.

But now, things start to get a little more difficult.

Heading out onto the road the next three weeks - at Miami, New Orleans and Cincinnati. It's usually difficult enough to play on the road, but three in a row is murder.

The only saving grace for the Steelers is that after playing Miami next weekend, they'll have plenty of reason to stay focused. The Saints are the defending Super Bowl champions, while the Bengals are an AFC North rival that beat them twice last season.

This will be the make-or-break portion of the schedule, followed by a return trip home against New England.

The Steelers have to go at least 2-2 in those four games if they hope to have a chance to win the division - though the Patriots helped them out by beating the Ravens Sunday.

Were the Steelers flat Sunday against the Browns?

No. The reason they didn't blow the Browns out earlier was offensive coordinator Bruce Arians' (correct) decision to use plenty of running to allow Ben Roethlisberger to ease himself into things.

Roethlisberger missed some open receivers and threw a bad interception on the team's first drive.

And the Browns also pinned the Steelers deep in their own territory on several occasions as well.

It took Roethlisberger a little while to find his rhythm, but the Steelers really were never challenged in this one.

The outcome of the game was never really in question. It was just going to be a matter of whether or not the Steelers covered the spread.

Given the fact Roethlisberger needed as many game snaps as possible, I have no problem with the Steelers throwing into the end zone with under two minutes to play and up 11 points.

The Browns hadn't stopped playing, so the Steelers shouldn't stop trying to score.

One nice thing the NFL did for the Steelers was set them up to face wildcat teams in back-to-back weeks coming off the bye.

The Steelers can roll some of the same defenses they used against the Browns right into the game at Miami - though, in my opinion, Ronnie Brown isn't as dangerous as Josh Cribbs is in the wildcat.

Colt McCoy has a chance to be Cleveland's best QB since the Browns' return to the NFL. And there have been quite a few.

Ditto Peyton Hills at running back - though Jamal Lewis wasn't bad in his short stay with the Browns.

Cleveland is much better than it has been - though the Browns still aren't ready to challenge for a playoff spot.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784
Default Re: NFL from the sidelines, Post-Cleveland thoughts

That score stayed at 3-7 a little too long for my comfort zone.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,470 Times in 3,548 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
That score stayed at 3-7 a little too long for my comfort zone.
true but you gotta give it up to the browns special teams on that one. the punter had us starting from inside the 10 for a lot of the 1st half
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
true but you gotta give it up to the browns special teams on that one. the punter had us starting from inside the 10 for a lot of the 1st half
Yea but people have too much faith in Ben, they think he can pull out 90+ yard drives everytime he's on the field :P He can only do that when he's down by a touchdown with 2 minutes left on the clock lol
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

Quote:
In fairness, Batch had much of the same in his starts too.

We've been pinned deep an awful lot this season!
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
I got ya but their defense was working us a little too hard in that first half. I'm just saying...I had some concerns.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
caplovestroyp43
Banned

Member Number: 16490
My Mood: Angelic

And I think James Harrison's head to head hit on Massekawa (sp) should have been a good 15 yards. I love Silverback don't get me wrong but he really didn't need to take the man's head off!!
caplovestroyp43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

that play wasn't helmet-to-helmet.. it was forearm/shoulder to helmet. i don't know the specifics of the rule.. i am sure he will get fined because that's how the NFL works today.. but it definitely wasn't a helmet on helmet hit. Cleveland fans sure are having a fun time crying though lol.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
that play wasn't helmet-to-helmet.. it was forearm/shoulder to helmet. i don't know the specifics of the rule.. i am sure he will get fined because that's how the NFL works today.. but it definitely wasn't a helmet on helmet hit. Cleveland fans sure are having a fun time crying though lol.
The rule is if you lead with your helmet on purpose. Which is stupid because if you lead with your shoulder and who ever you are hitting happens to have their head where your head is, its helmet to helmet. Because of this referees have to judge not on the actual action of 2 helmets coliding but if the defender lead with his helmet on purpose or if it was acidental. Fans will always be bias towards this rule, especially if its a rivalry.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #10
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

isn't it crazy in the NFL these days how nobody can figure out what is a legal hit or what constitutes a completed pass? the game has been played for how many years now, yet all of a sudden nobody knows what a legal hit or catch looks like. they've made these rules so damn ridiculous any more that even the referees don't even know what the hell to do.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote