Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
steel-EERS
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2166
Default the draft the way I see it

to me the team is filling holes sufficiently leaving enough room to take on a young guy at several positions including DE,WR,S,RB,C,CB,LB. WHen they draft at 32 they will have the flexability to take the best player available, if another top talent slides to us whe'll be in prime position. We have had great success with players sliding to us the last couple years, don't see why we can't luck out again.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
SCSteeler4Life
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 2100
Default Re: the draft the way I see it

I agree maybe Moss,Carpenter or Mangold.
SCSteeler4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

I think its gonna come down to who is available at 32 between, Ko Simpson, Darnell Bing and Bobby Carpenter. I am still undecided on who to get. If there was a perfect draft to have two high number 1's, it would have been this one.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler4Life
I agree maybe Moss,Carpenter or Mangold.
Too high for Moss (He'll be taken. already have a No. 2 receiver, no point in spending more when last year's No. 2 WR caught 35 passes). Too low for Mangold (never, EVER EVER draft a player higher than his ability projects him to go. Read: Troy Edwards). Carpenter is probably going to be the best player available at 32. I really liked Ko Simpson until we signed Ryan.

I guess it really doesn't matter much. We're going to get a good player, and it's a player who will fill a need.
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:36 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

LOL on Mangold being "higher than his ability" and all that. Edwards was picked in the first round based upon ONE game in his senior year, when he caught 22 passes against Nebraska. Mangold has a complete resume built up over several years, not one game.

He's as NFL ready as any C ever was.

Nevertheless, the Steelers won't pick him even if he's still there. It's Okobi's spot.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 06:56 PM   #6
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
LOL on Mangold being "higher than his ability" and all that. Edwards was picked in the first round based upon ONE game in his senior year, when he caught 22 passes against Nebraska. Mangold has a complete resume built up over several years, not one game.

He's as NFL ready as any C ever was.

Nevertheless, the Steelers won't pick him even if he's still there. It's Okobi's spot.
Edwards was a wide receiver, Mangold is a center. I'm referring to his position, not his ability. I should have been clearer, but why take a center in the first round when they'll still be a quality one (Greg Eslinger) available in the second, whereas other more impactful positions won't be? They'll deeply regret taking a center (they picked up Hartings as a free agent, if you remember, and Dermontti Dawson was a second round pick) in the first round when other more key players are available.

It's Hartings' spot, anyway. Okobi is there for depth at guard as much as at center. If he was going to take Hartings spot like they thought he was going to, he would have by now.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

The Steelers publicly announced that Okobi had the job when Hartings retired. It's Okobi's roster spot.

Hartings was supposed to retire after the 2003 season. He didn't. That's why Okobi is still on the roster, still getting paid, and still waiting in the wings.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Until the FA period is over for the Steelers, it's hard for me to make any assumptions of who and what we are going to take in the draft. Specially in the first and second. Would rather wait until everything is settled to start making assumptions.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

people never knew who porter, haggans, hope, foote, townsend, harrison etc. were until they emerged from the wings. the steelers dont reach to replace 1 pro bowler with one potential other. c. hoke has already proven he can step in for c. hampton. that didnt stop the steelers from extending hamptons deal AND give hoke a richer deal to keep him around. (played good in reserve duty this year too)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
The Steelers publicly announced that Okobi had the job when Hartings retired. It's Okobi's roster spot.

Hartings was supposed to retire after the 2003 season. He didn't. That's why Okobi is still on the roster, still getting paid, and still waiting in the wings.
They "publicly" announced that three years ago. Since then, The Vikings "publicly" announced they weren't going to trade Daunte Culpepper right after the Dolphins "publicly" announced they wouldn't give Minnesota more than a third-round pick for him.

My point isn't that he won't play center if Hartings goes down and/or retires, what I'm saying is they aren't giving him the money they are to keep him around until that eventually happens. He is still a Steeler because he plays three positions. It's not because they are waiting for Hartings to retire; that's merely a solid plan for when that happens. In the meantime, he's one guy doing what some have to pay two different guys to do.

Find me one backup center in the league who got a contract extension and doesn't play guard at all. Okobi is still there because he's versatile, NOT to wait around until Hartings' robotic knees finally give way. It makes absolutely no sense at all to keep a guy making starting center money on your roster if he's not playing. He's there to provide depth at RG and LG just as much as C.

Last edited by MNsteelers; 03-16-2006 at 05:26 PM.