Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #21
BigRick
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16392
Default Re: 76 Steelers vs 07 Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkweek View Post
Except you fail to factor in ever increasing popularity and talent pool size. The NFL and football in general gets more and more competitive as the years go by. There was a time when you could be a walk-on to a professional team, something that is not really possible today and is extremely hard to do and be a standout player for the better college teams.

Joe Greene was awesome for his time but we have to consider he was likely playing against a smaller talent pool and thus while he stood out in the 70s its likely he might be average or worse today, even with today's advantages, the coin flips both ways.

Fact of the matter is that we simply cannot accurately compare teams from different eras.

You're right about the training, but as I just said earlier, that means the talent pool is much larger.

If I invent a new sport with my best friend and we're the only ones that have ever played it, I have a 50/50 chance of being the best player ever in that sport. The more people that learn how to play, the less chance I have at being an elite player.

Elite players from the 60s and 70s might be bumped to average or worse simply because in the 60s and 70s there were less people trying to play football.
Your argument is basically wrong. In 76 there were 28 teams today there are 32. So if anything the talent pool is diluted by the fact that you have 4 more teams to man. Just look around the leauge there are guys playing today that couldn't have made an NFL roster in 76.
BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #22
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
the pats offensive line wouldnt give up a single sack if they played the 70 steelers. Lambert was 220lbs. he wouldnt have a prayer. the players in the 70's were way smaller and the offensive lines of today wouldnt have a hard time stopping them. joe green was only 265lbs
Depends on which set of rules they played by. Ear slaps are great equalizers.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #23
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,053 Times in 3,367 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick View Post
Ain't nobody ever explained to you this simple fact. It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog that counts! 07 Pats may be big fast dogs, but the 76 Steeler were Pitbulls!
sometimes, size isn't everything, but size does help lol.

if james harrison played back in 76 don't you think he'd terrorize that field more than lambert ever has? honestly i think he would. faster, bigger, stronger, and just as nasty. james woulda literally killed people back then
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 AM   #24
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
sometimes, size isn't everything, but size does help lol.

if james harrison played back in 76 don't you think he'd terrorize that field more than lambert ever has? honestly i think he would. faster, bigger, stronger, and just as nasty. james woulda literally killed people back then
If there were handicaps on the patriots to make them equal to the 70's NFL, the 76 Steelers would win.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #25
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
The 76 Steelers were a better team than the 07 Patriots. You can't compare teams of different era's in the respect of how they would line up because too many things have changed to get a valid comparison. The only way you can compare them is in relation to their own era. And by that basis the 76 Steelers are a much better team because it took a great Raider team to beat them, whereas the 07 Pats lost to a mediocre ( relatively speaking) Giants team.
Exactly. Good post.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #26
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
The 76 Steelers were a better team than the 07 Patriots. You can't compare teams of different era's in the respect of how they would line up because too many things have changed to get a valid comparison. The only way you can compare them is in relation to their own era. And by that basis the 76 Steelers are a much better team because it took a great Raider team to beat them, with 1,000 yard rushers Harris & Bleier in street-clothes that day, whereas the 07 Pats lost to a mediocre ( relatively speaking) Giants team.
That Stiller team was just the 2nd to have a pair of thousand-yard rushers (in the days of 14-game seasons, no-less), and relied on them while Bradshaw rehabilitated himself from early-season injuries, yet lost them both a week before the Oakland game to injury:
imagine how-badly the Cheatriots would'vebeen had the played without Marcia and another offensive threat, with only a week to prepare.

Not to take anything away from the Raiders for beating Pittsburgh (twice) that year, as they (and not 'em Stillers) could've easily won 4 Super Bowls in that decade:
if Pittsburgh would've been classified as '#1', and Oakland '1-A' during the 1970's, both teams would've been greatly feared, and although New England has won several Championships the last 10 seasons, I doubt any opponent has 'feared' that franchise the the way Oakland & Pittsburgh were 35 years ago
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:43 PM   #27
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

I'll take the team that'll have the most Hall of Famers when it's all said and done.......that'll still be the '76 Steelers BTW. All other comparisons aside, the Steelers of the 70s just simply had more playmakers than the 00s Pats. Hell, I'm not even sure the '07 Pats could beat the '08 Steelers, let alone ANY of the 70s teams.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #28
GunnerB
Water Boy

Member Number: 17544

Home teams always have the edge, but this is as clse as you will get to answering the question.

http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/default.asp#top
GunnerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #29
caseyviator
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17468

SOrry BUT BIGGER, FASTER, STRONGER WINS IN A LANDSLIDE. I LOVE THE 76 STEEL CURTAIN BUT EVEN THE 07 STEELERS WOULD KILL THESE GUYS 36-3 ATLEAST MAYBE 49 TO ZERO AND MERCY THEM BY JUST STOP TRYIN..
JOE GREEN 265 LBS5.4 40 TIME
CASEY HAMPTON 340LBS 5.2 40 TIME

LYNN SWAN 180LBS 4.7 40 TIME
SATONIO HOLMES 200 LBS 4.3 40 TIME

JACK LAMBERT 220LBS 5.0 40 TIME
JAMES HARRISON 250LBS 4.5 40 TIME

FRANCO HARRIS 220LBS 4.8 40TIME
FAST WILLY 200LBS 4.3 40 TIME

FOOTBALL IS GAME OF INCHES AND ALL THOSE INCHES , LBS, AND TICKS IN THE 40 ADD UP QUICKLY..
UNFORTUNATELY TODAYS PLAYERS ARE FAR BIGGER,BETTER, FASTER.

I HATE IT BUT ITS SOOO DAMM TRUE.

THE ONLY POSITION I THINK CAN BE COMPERABLE , SOME WHAT IS AT QB
BRADSHAW COULD DEFINATELY PLAY KNOW WITH HIS BODY AND SKILLS FROM BACK THEN IF HE HAD THE KNOWLEDGE OF TODAYS GAME AS WELL AS MANY OTHER QBS FROM BACK THEN IMO!!!

KEN STABLER POSSIBLE
FRAN TARKENTON POSSIBLE
JAMES HARRIS FOR SURE
KEN ANDERSON FOR SURE
DAN FOUTES FOR SURE
RODGER STAUBACH FOR SURE
BOB GRIESE FOR SURE
CRAIG MORTON FOR SURE
caseyviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #30
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick View Post
Your argument is basically wrong. In 76 there were 28 teams today there are 32. So if anything the talent pool is diluted by the fact that you have 4 more teams to man. Just look around the leauge there are guys playing today that couldn't have made an NFL roster in 76.
The population in 1976 was not what it was in 2007 so there are many more players to pick from now than 35 years ago and the strength, size and speed is also much higher now. Most guys playing in 1976 wouldn't make it to the NFL today.
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote