Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Hypocrisy 101

NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.
Monday, October 18, 2010
Hypocrisy 101
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Rodney Harrison talking about players needing to be suspended for helmet to helmet hits on other players screams of hypocrisy.

This is the same Rodney Harrison, after all, who routinely won the vote for being the dirtiest player in the game when he still played. This is the same Rodney Harrison who was fined over $200,000 during his playing career and suspended himself for illegal hits.

And some of the hits he pointed to were made by Steelers linebacker James Harrison Sunday against the Browns.

I sat in, as I do every year, on the officials meeting with the media when they come to training camp to explain rules interpretations and points of emphasis.

One of the new ones this year was put in place to protect receivers from dangerous hits. Defenders are no longer permitted to launch themselves into those receivers and must aim their hit to the torso.

Take a look at the hit by Harrison on Mohamed Massaquoi in the photo that is posted here and you see he's not launching himself. He simply lowers his shoulder moments after the ball arrives. It's a legal hit - as explained to me this summer by the NFL officials who attended the Steelers training camp.

As for the hit on Josh Cribbs, he's a running back on that play and there are no rules in place to protect them from helmet-to-helmet plays. In addition, that play was more of a freak happenstance than anything. Cribbs happened to turn into Harrison just as he arrived to help LaMarr Woodley get Cribbs to the ground.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Re: Hypocrisy 101

Some questions and observations about this whole shit:

1. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT RULE DID JAMES HARRISON BREAK? WHY WAS HIS HIT ILLEGAL?

2. "NFL didn't go far enough in fining James Harrison" - Cleveland Plain Dealer - BROWN FANS ARE PUSSIES - but that is being redundant.

3. Rodney Harrison is a *****. He'll have no problem f*&king your wife but complain if you f*&k his wife.

4. Monday Night Football's new song ... "Are you ready for some ... FLAG Football?!?!?!?"
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Also what is a defenseless receiver?

If massaquai catches the ball - is he still defenseless? What was Harrison supposed to do there? Let the guy run by him?
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

if you're going to bring up hypocrisy, Browns fans are the biggest hypocrites of them all. two weeks ago they celebrated an illegal hit and anointed TJ Ward as king. they also couldn't stop boasting about how they hurt Roethlisberger two seasons ago... or all the pathetic jokes and talk about Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident. they have the nerve to whine and cry foul when two of their guys get punished on two careless plays by their offense.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
coffeecup
Water Boy

Member Number: 8947

Hypocrisy is when the NFL store is selling photos of the hit that Harrison was fined $75,000 for making. This was on KDKA this evening and I just checked the store and yep, it's there! [http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphoto...uoi_321187.cfm
coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
Hypocrisy is when the NFL store is selling photos of the hit that Harrison was fined $75,000 for making. This was on KDKA this evening and I just checked the store and yep, it's there! [http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphoto...uoi_321187.cfm
Give that man a cigar. That is, indeed, hypocrisy. It's also further proof that the NFL has zero interest in protecting players and limiting concussions. Why add two more games if you want to protect players?
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

"It's all about the Benjamins" for the NFL... the players see right through it too judging by all the comments i keep hearing and reading.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Deserei90
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17069
Default NFL selling photo of James Harrison's hit on Mohamed Massaquoi.

Just want to start off by saying I'm new to The Steeler Fourm!!!

http://www.replayphotos.com/nflphoto...uoi_321187.cfm

Wait, So James gets fine 75k by the nfl for the hit on massaquoi, but then they turn around and sell photos of the hit? Somethings not right with this picture. he either is trying to get more money or he's just making a mockery out of this. Maybe he's doing this to point it to steeler fans, because let's face it, it looks as if he's encouraging steeler fans to buy it, and to be happy about it. NFL is full of hypocrites. They say they don't want violent hits, yet they are promoting it.

The NFL think they can have their cake and eat it too? Disgusting.

Last edited by Deserei90; 10-20-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Deserei90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
CaliStillersFan
Starter

Member Number: 11604
Default Re: NFL selling photo of James Harrison's hit on Mohamed Massaquoi.

It's getting harder and harder to remain a fan of the NFL these days. Next year is going to be the first time in over a decade that I'm considering not renewing on subscription to the NFL Sunday Ticket. I just can't justify giving the NFL my money anymore. Goodell has ruined the NFL and his reign of terror looks to have no end in sight.
CaliStillersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: NFL selling photo of James Harrison's hit on Mohamed Massaquoi.

I heard about this on Mike and Mike this morning.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote