Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Timmons starting to get noticed

October 18, 2010
Timmons starting to get noticed
http://tribune-democrat.com/prosport...to-get-noticed

JIM WEXELL For The Tribune-Democrat The Tribune-Democrat Mon Oct 18, 2010, 12:01 AM EDT

PITTSBURGH — James Harrison had a mob of reporters around his locker following the Steelers’ 28-10 win over the Cleveland Browns, and for good reason.

Harrison’s punishing – and legal – hits, according to Mike Tomlin, knocked two of the best Cleveland Browns out of the game for good.

The mob around Harrison, though, did not prevent the linebacker from eyeballing the only person standing around his next-door-neighbor’s locker.

“Say hello to Uncle James,” Lawrence Timmons told his young son.

“Hello James!” shouted the little guy.

Harrison melted and toyed with the boy before getting back to his questioners.

For Timmons, who had just as many tackles as Harrison, a half sack more, and an interception, the low profile suits him just fine.

“We’re a team defense,” he said. “I’m not really worried about individual stuff. I’m just trying to help the team out as much as I can.”

Timmons is helping the team out more this season than at any point in his four-year career. His 11 tackles Sunday give him 73 for the season, or 32 more than team runner-up James Farrior.

In fact, Timmons went into the game trailing the NFL leader by five tackles, even though he played in one less game.

“He’s been great all season,” said Farrior. “He’s really been outstanding – a big hitter, a lot of big splash plays. I said at the beginning of the season I could tell it’s his time. He’s really come a long way. I think he’s evolved into one of the elite linebackers in the league.”

Timmons made his presence felt early Sunday. On Cleveland’s second possession, after advancing to the Pittsburgh 23, Timmons sacked Colt McCoy for a 7-yard loss to force the Browns to kick a field goal.

His second sack, on the Browns’ first possession of the second half, forced a punt after the Browns had advanced to the Pittsburgh 37.

Just as importantly was Timmons’ play in coverage, as well as his play at the point of attack against brutish Browns tailback Peyton Hillis. Twice Timmons met the 240-pounder in the hole and stopped him for no gain. He was a key factor in holding Hillis to 41 yards rushing.

Not all was perfect, though. Timmons made a mistake in the fourth quarter that cost the Steelers seven points.

While covering tight end Ben Watson in the end zone, Timmons left the man to pursue a scrambling McCoy, who then flipped it to the wide-open Watson for the Browns’ only touchdown.

“I thought he broke the line of scrimmage, but he didn’t,” said Timmons. “I put us in a bad situation there, and that’s something I never do.”

“We all make mistakes,” said Farrior. “You’re never going to have a perfect game. I’m sure he’s upset about it. He made enough plays to make up for it.”

Timmons, in fact, made up for it the next time the Browns had the ball. Safety Ryan Mundy read a play, which he said “they had been running over and over.” But while Mundy broke perfectly on the ball, he didn’t intercept it. He instead deflected it to Timmons, who did intercept it.

Just before the play, Timmons received some advice from both Tomlin and coordinator Dick LeBeau.

“They just always give me tips before the play,” Timmons said. “They just make sure I’m always aware.”

Timmons was aware, as is the rest of the NFL, which is beginning to pay more attention to one of the top young linebackers in the game.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,468 Times in 2,748 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Timmons starting to get noticed

I like this kid's attitude. it's not often you find someone as young as him who doesn't get caught up with the hype and stays grounded.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Hes a 90 in Madden

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

He's come a long way since he got here..........This d is hard to pick up in the 2 middle backer positions..........Lots and lots of reads and positions.......