Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #21
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,189 Times in 1,778 Posts
Default Re: What is the deal with Ziggy

he's a bust !!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #22
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acerinox View Post
I think it is indicative that Ziggy's advocates are saying things like:
"You can't see what D-Linemen do"
"If the defense is succeeding, then he must be doing his job"
"He doesn't have enough snaps to shine"
and so forth. These are self-fulfilling arguments and you could say them about anyone, no matter how they performed!

Let me spell out my main concerns about Ziggy.
- There's no doubt he's a ball player. We've seen he's a ball-hawk, of sorts, and has the capacity to really wreck a passing down and do some damage if he penetrates to the second level.
- But outside of some impressive pre-season work, where he always seems to be on the verge of a breakout, he doesn't appear to have the anchor to hold his own on the line. It's too late in his development for him to be rocked off the ball so often, and like I say, I see him thrown around a bit too. Don't you?
- Where is this guy's run defense? You say you don't hear Hampton or Smith's name much, but if you watch the line you sure see them. They plug the gaps like monsters among children. Those downhill runs I hate so much when the opposition RB doesn't even break his stride going through the line? Those are Ziggy's gaps.

I think we all understand that it's hard to shine when studs like Smith and Keisel are ahead of you. You still need to get it done when you see the field. And don't give me this stuff about Ziggy being Aaron's backup. If he's such a natural left end, where were his props last season?
EXACTY.

It isn't that he is having trouble getting noticed, or earning any reputation-- I notice as soon as he is in the game, because the other team starts running the ball at the left side, and with success.

Granted, a 3-4 DE is not supposed to make the highlight reel that often, but we heard all offseason (even from the other Dlinemen) that he was going to be this beast this season, and so far, all we have gotten out of him is a couple of QB hurries and very, very soft run support. As soon as he goes in the game, we get gashed in the running game....not good.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
It's weird how all we heard out of camp was what an unstoppable beast he was amd how he was primed for a breakout year, and as soon as the reg season started news around him got so quiet and Nick Eason is above him on the depth chart...
agreed. i thought he would be starting by midseason because of an injury to one of the other ends. im really hoping he shows a flash so we know he can take over and keep our line just as strong some day. if he isnt the future then we need to draft an end in the 1st or 2nd next season but im holding out hope that he will soon be a monster and hold that line down
Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #24
MongoSteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13096

I read an article today that said Ziggy has been playing on a bad ankle since the first game of the season.
MongoSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #25
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

That's what happened to Timmons last year (two bad ankles, I believe) and this year he's doing a little bit better.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #26
DanRooney
Banned

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalDestroyer View Post
I disagree with all of those who think he's a bust. Way too soon to determine... As mentioned already, kind of hard to stand out in a defense with pro bowl DLs and a defense whose LBs are the (pro bowl) stars. Next year will be his year, watch.

Also Pittsburgh handles young players well, they seem to know exactly when they're ready. Examples - Wallace, Redman, Mendy, Pouncy....some players develop faster, some are disciplined in the process for mistakes the coaches know they shouldn't make, and all are given shots to prove themselves. When they're truly ready (rookie year, or third year, etc.), and the coaches know best, is when they shine, Ziggy will get there.

Another good point I read is that Ziggy backs Smith, and Eason backs Keisel. (I too have noticed that)
Absolute bullshit.

All of them - Mendenhall, Pouncey, and Wallace - got their opportunities because of injured players ahead of them - Glass Willie Parker, Hartpig, Limas Peed.

Ziggy has been on his ass numerous times when called upon. It looks like he's still confused out there. Very disappointing so far.
DanRooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #27
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney View Post
Absolute bullshit.

All of them - Mendenhall, Pouncey, and Wallace - got their opportunities because of injured players ahead of them - Glass Willie Parker, Hartpig, Limas Peed.

Ziggy has been on his ass numerous times when called upon. It looks like he's still confused out there. Very disappointing so far.
There's an old saying that I'm just making up now,, the most dangerous man in an argument is the one that doesn't know, what he doesn't know.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #28
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
EXACTY.

It isn't that he is having trouble getting noticed, or earning any reputation-- I notice as soon as he is in the game, because the other team starts running the ball at the left side, and with success.

Granted, a 3-4 DE is not supposed to make the highlight reel that often, but we heard all offseason (even from the other Dlinemen) that he was going to be this beast this season, and so far, all we have gotten out of him is a couple of QB hurries and very, very soft run support. As soon as he goes in the game, we get gashed in the running game....not good.
Really? You do realize the league is averaging 2.7 yards per attempt against the Steelers so far this year? I must have missed all hese plays where ziggy is being exploited.