Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: Harrison fined $75k, labeled a repeat offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelermanBirth2Death View Post
So are the defensive players just suppose to let the recievers catch the ball now and wait to tackle them. All these rule changes geared toward the offense is getting a little ridiculous.
for the past year or so these new rules have been aimed at doing just that.. the NFL loves offense.. the easiest way to increase offense is to eliminate the danger of catching a ball. allow the receiver run around in the open field untouched, allow him enough time to catch the ball, and then bring him down lightly.
jjpro11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
chacha
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
A big chunk of that fine was for Harrison's post-game quotes where he refused to express remorse

More ad hoc changes of standards from Goodell, this time to deal with a PR fire set by Rodney Harrison and Saint Tony Dungy (who is becoming an increasingly tired caricature of moral rectitude whom we are supposed to forget coached a pretty physical crew in Tampa prior to moving on to coach flag football in Indianapolis while bi***ing about players not letting Peyton Maning complete every pass)

If I were in Silverback's position i would tell the media I am done talking
Rodney Harrison has no room to talk about anything, and You're right abut Dungy, his act is getting really tired
Old 10-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #13
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,535 Times in 3,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacha View Post
But what James said was true, he said he didn't want to injure anyone, but hurt them. Anyone with a brain knows what he meant, the media just played up the hurt comment. It's football and it's his job to have that attitude.
The truth? When it comes to the violence that is part of football's appeal a lot of folks can't handle the truth

[youtube]5j2F4VcBmeo[/youtube]

Silverback basically said you're damn right he ordered the Code Red on Cribbs and Massaquoi!
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
chacha
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15976

^ exactly
Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,474 Times in 3,548 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

cribbs and masowhatever don't want none of debo!
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #16
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Miami better look out - Debo is gonna be PISSED

Goodell has a hard-on for the Steelers. **** him.

I hope we crush every ****ing team left on the schedule, I don't care how many suspensions we get.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

I hope some of the better paid steelers chip in and help him pay the fine because that's an absurd amount for an incidental hit.

Robinson's fine was egregious too, he was clearly putting him shoulder into iacksons chest, the helmet contact was incidental.

Merriweathers was the only hit that looked intentional.

Ridiculous just ridiculous.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #18
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,474 Times in 3,548 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

maybe the reason why we picked up so much linebackers in the draft was because we knew goodell was going to do this and had to count on harrison, woodley, and timmons getting suspended at some point of the year for refusing to play wussy ball

but who knows, knowing tomlin wanted to draft 'run and hit' players, maybe they'll get suspended too and we'll eventually have to try out hines ward (another "repeat offender") at LB, where he'll prolly end up getting suspended too for hitting someone too hard
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,535 Times in 3,759 Posts

Harrison is not backing down

It was a legal hit," Harrison maintained in an interview today with the Post-Gazette, before the fine was levied by the NFL, as did Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

"All you have to do is look at the tape," Harrison said.

He said he was not aiming for Massaquoi's head and actually tried to pull off of him. He believes he's being targeted because of media opinion against him.

"If I get fined it's because anybody out there who has a camera in their face or a pen in their hand is writing their opinion and it's all the same. I just happened to be one of the bigger names who hit somebody last weekend."...

Harrison, a three-time Pro Bowl linebacker and the NFL defensive player of the year in 2008, said defenders like him can't win no matter where they hit a ballcarrier. Hit him high, the league wants to fine them; hit them low, and the offensive player risks a knee injury.

Such was the case in the 2009 season opener at Heinz Field when Harrison hit Tennessee tight end Bo Scaife so hard in the left leg that Scaife not only fumbled, but he did not return to the game. Scaife called the hit a "cheap shot." Titans coach Jeff Fisher, co-chair of the NFL competition committee that helps shape the rules, firmly said it was not an illegal hit.

"I hit him low and he ended up injuring his knee and was out for a number of games,'' Harrison said Tuesday. "I guess I'll end up having to take the fine and save someone's career."

Despite Scaife's outcry, Harrison said NFL players would prefer to be hit high than low and risk a knee injury.

"Ask any player in the NFL, they'd say that's dirty," Harrison said of a knee shot. "But the NFL says that's a legal play, but you can end his year if not his career. But if you hit him up high and give him a concussion or whatever, they fine you for it. Now you have to start hitting guys low, and what then?

"We've had enough rules on how to tackle a quarterback, now we have to worry about what a guy does at the last second. If he puts himself in harms way, now it's our fault."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10292/1096447-66.stm

What's the over under on how long before the first flag for unnecessary roughness by Harrison is thrown on Sunday?
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:46 PM   #20
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Harrison got fined $75,000 for a LEGAL HIT that was not flagged. Whatever happened to "No flag, no foul?" Or "innocent until proven guilty?" OH YEAH, it doesn'y apply to Steelers.

When is there going to be a "Harrison Rule" You know, like the Hines Ward Rule, Rod Woodson Rule, Mel Blount Rule, etc... I kind of like these titles, they keep restricting us, we just KEEP WINNING. Jealousy on the part of Goodell, and the NFL. $^% them if they can't take a hit.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote