Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 03-16-2006, 02:37 AM   #1
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default The Priest restructures.....

Holmes restructured his contract by taking his 2006 salary from $3.75 million to $710,000, giving the chiefs some cap relief, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports. While such a deal is often done by a player who is going to be a June 1st cap casualty, the Chiefs have no plans to cut him.
Holmes is undergoing tests to determine if he can play. He won't know for months and odds are starting to build up that he might have to retire, but the Chiefs plan to keep him on the roster through the season at the $710,000 number, and possibly keep him on the physically unable to return list until he's healthy.
If he's not healthy, the Chiefs don't mind paying him the $710,000 for his past work. If he does comeback, the team can rework the contract later.

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:49 AM   #2
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: The Priest restructures.....

Classy move by the Chiefs.

All the best to the Priest - the greatest undrafted RB ever.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,909 Times in 4,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Classy move by the Chiefs.

All the best to the Priest - the greatest undrafted RB ever.

NM
damn after your take on duce staley i was sure you would think of this as a huge waste of money, both last year and next. after all wouldnt it be cheaper to spend that $710,000 upgrading their cheerleaders outfits?
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
damn after your take on duce staley i was sure you would think of this as a huge waste of money, both last year and next. after all wouldnt it be cheaper to spend that $710,000 upgrading their cheerleaders outfits?
You seem to be struggling with the concept of 'future' and 'past' Tony.

Duce Staley was a waste of money because he spent most of the regular season and all of the post season sat on the sideline runnning the Jerome Bettis fanclub.

That is an example of the past, Tony.

The Chiefs have signed the Priest to a minimum contract for this year, in the hope that he can regain fitness and be a serviceable back-up to Larry Johnson.

That is an example of the future.

Its a reasonably simple concept once you get the hang of it.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
You seem to be struggling with the concept of 'future' and 'past' Tony.

Duce Staley was a waste of money because he spent most of the regular season and all of the post season sat on the sideline runnning the Jerome Bettis fanclub.

That is an example of the past, Tony.

The Chiefs have signed the Priest to a minimum contract for this year, in the hope that he can regain fitness and be a serviceable back-up to Larry Johnson.

That is an example of the future.

Its a reasonably simple concept once you get the hang of it.

NM
Holmes restructured his contract by taking his 2006 salary from $3.75 million to $710,000, giving the chiefs some cap relief, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports. While such a deal is often done by a player who is going to be a June 1st cap casualty, the Chiefs have no plans to cut him.
Holmes is undergoing tests to determine if he can play. He won't know for months and odds are starting to build up that he might have to retire, but the Chiefs plan to keep him on the roster through the season at the $710,000 number, and possibly keep him on the physically unable to return list until he's healthy.
If he's not healthy, the Chiefs don't mind paying him the $710,000 for his past work. If he does comeback, the team can rework the contract later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think youre struggling with the concept and your reading comprehension skills (or lack thereof) arent helping you any. where does it say anything about him being a servicable back up? or did you read in between the lines and get that out of this sentence: "odds are starting to build up that he might have to retire"?

i love your logic though. if any player gets hurt they are a waste of money (unless of course its bruschi or brady)

Last edited by tony hipchest; 03-16-2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

I am thinking/hoping that much of the reason Duce was in his gray sweatsuit most of the year (well he did get 75 or so yards and he did dress for the superbowl) is because the coaching staff was dedicating much of the year to Bettis and that Duce will make an attempt to fill Bettis' shoes (that is not gonna happen). Noone can fill his shoes in my mind.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #7
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:

i think youre struggling with the concept and your reading comprehension skills (or lack thereof) arent helping you any. where does it say anything about him being a servicable back up? or did you read in between the lines and get that out of this sentence: "odds are starting to build up that he might have to retire"?
Tony, Tony, Tony.

My point is a simple one.

The value the Chiefs are going to get from the outlay of $710K is undecided because we dont know how the Priest will perform in 2006/7.

We do know that Duce Staley spent most of last year sat on the sidelines, for a much larger slice of money - which is fact.

At this point we can only guess what sort of value $710K gives the Chiefs next year.

Just accept it - Duce Staley was bad value for money last year.

NM
Old 03-16-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
tony hipchest
Supporter

living- you know why they didnt bring duce staley back in once he was ready to go? the same reason the patriots didnt bring bledsoe back in, in 2001. pretty easy concept to understand once you get used to it. but bledsoe was a waste of money right? of course it was especially if you choose to ignore him coming in to save the bradyless pats in the afcc game.

insurance is always a waste of money until you get in an accident or have to file a claim. you are familiar with insurance policies arent you? there are cheap ones and expensive ones. to walk you through slowly (cause i know your next remark will be "whats insurance have to do with this?") i am comparing bledsoe and duce to expensive insurance policies who werent brought back to fix something that wasnt broken.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:

Just accept it - Duce Staley was bad value for money last year.

NM
you mean like half the pats roster? i guess willis mcgahee was a terrible signing and draft pick. look at all the money wasted on carson palmer to carry a clipboard for a whole year.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
living- you know why they didnt bring duce staley back in once he was ready to go? the same reason the patriots didnt bring bledsoe back in, in 2001. pretty easy concept to understand once you get used to it. but bledsoe was a waste of money right? of course it was especially if you choose to ignore him coming in to save the bradyless pats in the afcc game.

insurance is always a waste of money until you get in an accident or have to file a claim. you are familiar with insurance policies arent you? there are cheap ones and expensive ones. to walk you through slowly (cause i know your next remark will be "whats insurance have to do with this?") i am comparing bledsoe and duce to expensive insurance policies who werent brought back to fix something that wasnt broken.
Interesting Patriots example.

1a. Drew Bledsoe was the undisputed starter for the Patriots.

1b. Jerome Bettis was in the last year of his career and was used exclusively as a short yardage pounder.

2a. Tom Brady was a 6th round project.

2b. Duce staley was a high profile FA signing who was intended to be the focal point of the running game.

3a. Tom Brady took the place of an injured Bledsoe and played so fantastically well that he kept the job, despite Bledsoe returning to full health.

3b. Jerome Bettis compiled 350 yards over the whole season - Duce Staley didnt play another down after he got injured.

The Brady/Bledsoe situation is not really very similar to the Bettis/ Staley one at all.

NM

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 03-16-2006 at 03:26 PM.