Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 03-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #11
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Re: The Priest restructures.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
you mean like half the pats roster? i guess willis mcgahee was a terrible signing and draft pick. look at all the money wasted on carson palmer to carry a clipboard for a whole year.
Holy jesus Tony.

How many more Patriots examples do you want?

The players who spent the whole season, or a majority of it, out injured and who didnt return were very poor value for money.

Matt Light was very poor value for money last year, as was Rodney Harrison, this doesnt mean I dont think the Patriots should have drafted them or picked them up in FA.

I am admitting this because it is true.

You are looking back in retrospect after a SB win and claiming that everything worked out perfect.

It didn't.

Send me a postcard from cloud Cuckoo land, if you get the time.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,813 Times in 3,696 Posts

this from a guy who says spending money on players who may or may not get injured is a waste of money. its a business with inherrent risks, particularly injuries. a team has to field a 53 man roster. if 15 of those guys get hurt the only money you have wasted is probably with your training staff and conditionning coaches. otherwise it was money well spent in the name of doing business called the NFL.

and yes, everything did work out perfect. thanks for asking.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:21 PM   #13
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I just wonder if the guy has any fantasy value left at all...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I just wonder if the guy has any fantasy value left at all...
not like larry johnson did last year. i hate to see him retire but he was talking about retiring before his injury. but as of today him and t. bruschi are the only injured players worth paying to be injured on a teams roster, so who knows? bruschi provided a ton of fantasy value.

really though on one hand i wanna think if he could play he would wanna do it on another team as a starter. on the other hand i see him as a smart dude like marshall faulk who would see the benefits of extending his career (even if it be from the sidelines in a supporting role) and tutoring and backing up the young buck (or old buck- whatever the case may be) ahead of him.

LITP has just got me so confused i dont know what to think after all, all that matters is how much money a team "wastes" due to injuries.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
this from a guy who says spending money on players who may or may not get injured is a waste of money. its a business with inherrent risks, particularly injuries. a team has to field a 53 man roster. if 15 of those guys get hurt the only money you have wasted is probably with your training staff and conditionning coaches. otherwise it was money well spent in the name of doing business called the NFL.

and yes, everything did work out perfect. thanks for asking.
So you got the same value from Ben Roeth. as you did from Duce Staley?

After all, both were on your 53 man roster so they must have had equal input into the SB win right?

Your 'insurance' scenario was extremely faulty - who wants insurance that that cannot be relied upon?

You cant prove that Staley was fit.

As i say, if he was fit - then he couldnt even beat out a RB who compiled 350yards over the whole season, and who was on the very tip of retirement.

Either way you look at it Staley wasn't worth his paycheck.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:16 PM   #16
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past

You cant prove that Staley was fit.

NM
define "fit". was he 100% bona fide in shape? probably not. but was he more fit than corey dillon before belichick ran him out too early (only to sustain another injury)? im willing to bet yes. only in cowhers case he was not willing to risk a part of the future while on a sb run when willie and jerome were doing fine. sounds like more smart coaching than a waste of money to me. if the patriots had this type of depth at one of the most important contributing positions to the running game you might understand.

ben roethlisberger said he was ready 2 weeks after the san diego injury yet cowher sat him for an additional 2 weeks and 2 losses. i guess the "smarter" belichick wouldve ran him out there 2 weeks too early to avoid wasting money.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:22 PM   #17
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
define "fit". was he 100% bona fide in shape? probably not. but was he more fit than corey dillon before belichick ran him out too early (only to sustain another injury)? im willing to bet yes. only in cowhers case he was not willing to risk a part of the future while on a sb run when willie and jerome were doing fine. sounds like more smart coaching than a waste of money to me. if the patriots had this type of depth at one of the most important contributing positions to the running game you might understand.

ben roethlisberger said he was ready 2 weeks after the san diego injury yet cowher sat him for an additional 2 weeks and 2 losses. i guess the "smarter" belichick wouldve ran him out there 2 weeks too early to avoid wasting money.
Well we are going to open the subject out even further are we tony?

Who is the better coach?

Bill B. or Cowher?

3SB's or 1.

Pats win.

Well done Tony - another Steelers better than Pats thread.

NM
Old 03-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #18
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
Well we are going to open the subject out even further are we tony?

Who is the better coach?

Bill B. or Cowher?

3SB's or 1.

Pats win.

Well done Tony - another Steelers better than Pats thread.

NM
well i bet you been itching for a while to get that off your chest. what, almost 2 months now? that had to have been almost therapeutic for you. we dont mind if you express your true feelings or show your true colors here.

good job of not addressing the point of belichick rushing out dillon too soon while cowher had the luxury and power running game to sit staley and win a sb.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:52 PM   #19
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Livinginthe past

So you got the same value from Ben Roeth. as you did from Duce Staley?

After all, both were on your 53 man roster so they must have had equal input into the SB win right?

Is that actually the message you got by reading tony's post? Can we say misinterpretation? (I know it's a long word, try sounding it out.)

As for who is the better coach, it's a matter of opinion in the end. But here's my 2 cents:

The mark of a good coach is NOT how many championships they win. It is doing the most with the players they have, and managing the game to their advantage.

I'm not saying Bill B. isn't an above average coach, but come on, it didn't take a coaching genius to win 3 rings with those Pats teams.

Yes, Cowher lost his first Super Bowl, but there isn't a coach in the league that could have taken the '95 Steelers that far.

And when it comes to game management, I refer you to The Jaw's record when holding an 11 point or more lead...

Okay, I'm done now...
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 AM   #20
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
well i bet you been itching for a while to get that off your chest. what, almost 2 months now? that had to have been almost therapeutic for you. we dont mind if you express your true feelings or show your true colors here.

good job of not addressing the point of belichick rushing out dillon too soon while cowher had the luxury and power running game to sit staley and win a sb.
Au Contraire Tony.

Its what YOU have been itching for for the last 2 months.

Everytime I have commented on Steelers personnel you are there like a shot to throw the Patriots into the mix.

What have the Pats got to do with Duce Staley's value, I ask?

Your Patriots avatar makes me put the Patriots in every reply, you answer.

What if I had a picture of a sugared donut instead, would you have to include references to sweetened deep fried dough in every post?

My true colors you say....sounds like someone has an apprentice

My team is the Patriots - but I am not the one who injects them into every thread.

What does the opinion of Bill Belichick have to do with Staley's value? - he didnt play - it is that black and white.

What does Corey Dillon (another Pats player..what a surprise) have to do with Duce Staley's value?

I can address the Dillon issue, like countless other injured patriots you have thrown into this topic, with total honesty.

Dillon was rushed back and broke down - he had a bad year - he was not good value for money, even if we won the SB - he was not good value for money.

Maybe we should just run through the whole of the Patriots roster right now so you can clear your system?

I can only wonder what random topic you are going to throw into this discussion next - crop circles maybe?

NM

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 03-17-2006 at 01:44 AM.