Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Default Harrison: I might quit NFL

James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.
"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. Hee was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."

Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

Well this is rather shocking
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #2
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329
Default Re: Harrison: I might quit NFL

Hopefully a good nights sleep will cool him off a bit.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
chacha
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15976

He's just pissed, he' not quitting
Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

This would be a tragedy, I hope some people reach out to him on that defense and convince him to not hang it up.

Hopefully Tomlin talks some sense into him and veterans like Farrior, Polamalu, Taylor let him know how important he is to the defense.
mikegrimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
ramblinjim
Water Boy

Member Number: 17046

Do we, as Steelers nation all need to pony up $10 to pay Jimmy Hate's fines for the rest of the year? I think we should all make a bit stink of it and send a message to the commish.
ramblinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,752 Posts

Not only is godell ruining the nfl he is ruining the players.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
toughsticks87
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14874
Default Tomlin gives Steelers' Harrison day off after big fine

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10293/1096626-100.stm

Wednesday, October 20, 2010
Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin met with linebacker James Harrison today and decided to excuse him for the rest of the work day, a team spokesman said this morning.

Harrison said in some radio interviews that he would rather retire than be hamstrung by the kinds of rules that the NFL charged he violated with a hit Sunday on Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi. The NFL fined Harrison $75,000 on Tuesday for that hit.

"How can I continue to play this game the way that I've been taught to play this game since I was 10 years old?" Harrison said on Sirius XM Radio this morning. "And now you're telling me that everything that they've taught me from that time on, for the last 20-plus years, is not the way you're supposed to play the game anymore. If that's the case I can't play by those rules. You're handicapping me."

A source had told the Post-Gazette that Harrison called the Steelers Tuesay and told them he would not be coming to work today. However, he did report to their facility on the city's South Side to meet with Tomlin.

The Steelers said Tomlin would be available after practice today to discuss the situation.

For more on the Harrison and the fine, read the blog, Ed Bouchette On the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10293...#ixzz12ursqH9m
Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #8
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302
Default Re: Tomlin gives Steelers' Harrison day off after big fine

I don't know the answer to this, but are players required to talk to the media after games? I know for the SUper Bowl they are but what about regular games?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
SacknificentStew56
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16658

I don't think he's gonna quit. He's just needs some fish to feed off of and he'll be fine.
SacknificentStew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Harrison is not at practice and not attending meetings. He did meet with Tomlin this morning

Didn't Harrison almost quit football a few years ago and go back to truck-driving? He's serious about this.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote