Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-16-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,096 Times in 3,457 Posts
Default Re: Ike's future and the 22nd pick overall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa
but what do we get? the redskins don't have the number 22nd pick anymore, it belongs to the broncos
i dont know how that would work. maybe a #1 from the following year? what i dont understand about the restricted free agents is that it seems a little unfair if houston and seattle were both interrested him hypothetically, the difference in compensation is HUGE between the #1 pick and the #31st, even though theyre both 1st rounders. maybe that is the balance the better teams get to outweigh the advantage the poorer teams have in drafting early. looking at it that way and it makes a little more sense i guess.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i dont know how that would work. maybe a #1 from the following year? what i dont understand about the restricted free agents is that it seems a little unfair if houston and seattle were both interrested him hypothetically, the difference in compensation is HUGE between the #1 pick and the #31st, even though theyre both 1st rounders. maybe that is the balance the better teams get to outweigh the advantage the poorer teams have in drafting early. looking at it that way and it makes a little more sense i guess.
Yeah, I think that might have something to do with it, but ultimately, the purpose of restricted free agency is to give teams a chance to keep the guys they've already developed, and if they can't afford to do it, they get compensated pretty well. Since you don't see it happen all too much, maybe it would be the Skins pick next year, but I don't see why that would be fair. Teams that don't have a first round pick this year shouldn't be able to sign that level of tendered free agents.
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #13
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

Member Number: 284

Quote:
There's not really a point in trading for him. His set value is a first-round pick due to him being a restricted free agent. The Redskins have to give at least that, but the Steelers can't stop them from signing him unless they want to pay him that much money. If not, they get a pick.

And yes, I didn't notice that the Skins don't have a first-rounder this year. I only saw the order on NFL.com, who, for some reason, hasn't updated the draft list. My bad.
Do i have to say it slower? We wouldn't want to trade him. Since the Skins don't have a first rounder pick, The only picks they have on day 1 is a 2nd rounder. So that makes them not drafting in the first round for two years in a row, Which many teams won't even think about. Which make's a Sheet offer very unlikely for Ike. The only option that wounld't hurt them is to trade for him which we won't do.

Quote:
So what gives, then? The Steelers are forced to give up a player with NO compensation this year if that goes down?
A 07 first rounder. Yes, but theres no chance it will, the reports havent even said "for sure" they say "maybe". So don't over react man.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
MNsteelers
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 841

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySTEEL
Do i have to say it slower? We wouldn't want to trade him. Since the Skins don't have a first rounder pick, The only picks they have on day 1 is a 2nd rounder. So that makes them not drafting in the first round for two years in a row, Which many teams won't even think about. Which make's a Sheet offer very unlikely for Ike. The only option that wounld't hurt them is to trade for him which we won't do.

A 07 first rounder. Yes, but theres no chance it will, the reports havent even said "for sure" they say "maybe". So don't over react man.
Is this not a place for discussion? A forum to bring in new ideas, not just rehash what we already know? Obviously, there's no guarantee that it will or won't happen, but let's be honest, the Redskins have spent more than any other team thus far in free agency. Why stop now? In my opinion, where there's smoke, there's fire. I personally don't enjoy hearing everyone's take on things AFTER they happen, I'd like to read some stuff on what people who think outside the box think MIGHT happen. So don't tell me I'm overreacting by bringing up a story in the news for people to brainstorm possibilities.

Outside of that, I have NO CLUE what the F you're talking about. You brought up the whole trade idea (and I quote: "It's very unlikely for it to happen. What would happen is the Skins would offer somthing up to the Steelers and trade for him, but offering a sheet on IKE has about 5% of happening.")

I'm not trying to be a grammar cop, but in that third-grade level rambling, you brought up the idea of a trade. That's what I was referring to when I said a trade wouldn't happen.

Good look up "restricted free agency" and maybe this will make more sense to you. A trade has nothing to do with anything here.

Last edited by MNsteelers; 03-16-2006 at 05:49 PM.
MNsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:41 PM   #15
Busforever
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1065

We let Hope mature -> gone
We let Randle El mature -> gone
And now we should let Taylor go? No question! Steelers are not a college team! And why not Polamalu next time? Draft picks are good if you can materialize them with future starters. If you let them go when they become good players, that just makes no sense. With Taylor, McFadden and Colclough, we have enough young DB's. We don't need drafting another one! I know we could draft at another position, but at one point we will have to full the roster, and we are not really agressive in FA...
Busforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #16
JerseySTEEL
Team Captain

Member Number: 284

Quote:
Is this not a place for discussion? A forum to bring in new ideas, not just rehash what we already know? Obviously, there's no guarantee that it will or won't happen, but let's be honest, the Redskins have spent more than any other team thus far in free agency. Why stop now? In my opinion, where there's smoke, there's fire. I personally don't enjoy hearing everyone's take on things AFTER they happen, I'd like to read some stuff on what people who think outside the box think MIGHT happen. So don't tell me I'm overreacting by bringing up a story in the news for people to brainstorm possibilities.

Outside of that, I have NO CLUE what the F you're talking about. You brought up the whole trade idea (and I quote: "It's very unlikely for it to happen. What would happen is the Skins would offer somthing up to the Steelers and trade for him, but offering a sheet on IKE has about 5% of happening.")

I'm not trying to be a grammar cop, but in that third-grade level rambling, you brought up the idea of a trade. That's what I was referring to when I said a trade wouldn't happen.

Good look up "restricted free agency" and maybe this will make more sense to you. A trade has nothing to do with anything here.
Nice, u do know name calling just shows how dumb you are. I can't believe my idea is above your head lol. Wow man u are slow this is why i left this forum my idea makes perfect sense to just about 10 other forums and then to u it doesn't make any, wow your slow.
Old 03-16-2006, 06:33 PM   #17
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I Like Ike!!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 06:40 PM   #18
chumley
Water Boy

Member Number: 870

gotta keep Ike!

gonna be one of the best CB's in the league

www.facemeike.com

-- Don't believe the hype. Create your own. --
chumley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:59 AM   #19
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I guess the question noboby has really answered yet, can the Skins even make an offer with no 1st rounder to give up?
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #20
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead
I guess the question noboby has really answered yet, can the Skins even make an offer with no 1st rounder to give up?
Also, how much more money do the Skins have in order to spend on Ike? That team has been blowing a chunk of change the last few days. Also, I have yet to see a link or read any article with proof that the Skins have a known interest in Ike.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 03-17-2006 at 08:15 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote