Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Starkey: NFL players must rise up

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_705332.html#

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Starkey: NFL players must rise up

By Joe Starkey
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 21, 2010

We could delve into the James Harrison situation, but that would require taking his threat to retire seriously.

Like he's going to kiss the rest of that $51 million contract goodbye and settle down in Florida for endless rounds of golf and early bird specials ("Could I have the human skull on a platter, please?").

Harrison needs to calm down, pay his fine and play football. Spare us the drama. People have real problems, and most don't make $51 million.

Let's look at the larger picture, and let's get one thing straight: This past NFL weekend was no more violent than any other. Some brutally sensational hits made it look that way, and now everybody's freaking out, blaming the league for being too soft or too hard on hitters.

Forget about the league. Focus on the players. They're not helpless. They are, in fact, empowered to act on the core issues here. Namely, how they want their game to be policed and their short- and long-term health, especially in regard to brain injuries.

Instead of focusing on the size of the next NFL-imposed fine, or whether hits such as Harrison's were "legal," I'm way more interested in questions such as these:

With the current collective bargaining agreement set to expire, will NFL players submit to blood testing for human-growth hormone in the next one?

I ask, because I don't believe it's the sensational hits that threaten players' health so much as the mass and force behind the hundreds of mundane hits that happen every game and if you believe mass and force have increased over the years because players are growing bigger and stronger naturally, you're nuttier than Al Davis.

Should players submit to blood testing, which the league wants, and aggressively seek ways for drug testers to catch up to drug creators, then I'll believe they are serious about making their long-term health a priority.

If not, let them live with the consequences. Let them live with their chemically enhanced collisions.

In forming the new CBA, will players fight for the kind of game they want?

I ask, because the general player response to the weekend's big hits was that only one New England's Brandon Meriweather on Baltimore's Todd Heap was egregious.

With the CBA expiring, this would appear to be the perfect time to battle the league on basic issues such as what constitutes a legal tackle. And we'll see how hard players work against the unconscionable, league-initiated prospect of an 18-game schedule, even if it means more money for the players.

Will players learn to respect each other more?

I ask, because I look at the Meriweather hit and say: "There's a guy with no respect for the welfare of a fellow union member."

The union should be the entity that comes down hardest on Meriweather. How about a little peer pressure?

Roger Goodell didn't make that hit. Meriweather did.

Will the union see to it that their charges are educated on the seriousness of brain injuries?

I ask, because of Harrison's ignorant remarks in the wake of his other concussion-causing hit a perfectly legal one on Josh Cribbs and because of what happened with Ben Roethlisberger leading into last years' game at Baltimore.

When Harrison was asked about Cribbs, he said: "You hate to see anyone down like that, but then you realize he just went to sleep for a little bit and came out of it, and he's going to be OK."

Actually, if Cribbs "went to sleep for a little bit," he might not be OK. It means he was knocked out, and if you've seen the scientific research of late, football-related head trauma is becoming linked with all kinds of severe long-term problems, up to and including Lou Gehrig's disease and death.

As for Roethlisberger, you remember Hines Ward saying teammates were confused as to why their quarterback was a late scratch for the Baltimore game when he had practiced with the team late in the week.

Roethlisberger was suffering from exercise-induced headaches and followed doctor's instructions by reporting them. Players who do that need to be respected, not ostracized or criticized.

The player is the only person who can report such symptoms. It's on him. And the players are the only people who can truly police their sport.

It's on them.

Joe Starkey can be reached at jraystarkey@gmail.com or
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Starkey: NFL players must rise up

The union has been way too quiet, and I suspect they are keeping their members' health in their back pocket as a bargaining chip. "Sure we''l play 18 games... just open up your wallets." That's inexcusable.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Acerinox
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15579
Default Re: Starkey: NFL players must rise up

I like this article a lot. Particularly powerful - the argument that the players, not the bureaucrats, should decide the line between perfectly safe cushion football where nobody dies and something they want to play (and we want to watch).
Acerinox is offline   Reply With Quote