Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,032 Times in 4,566 Posts
Default Week 6 defensive play chart

highly recommended and an effective tool for study to see who is playing where, and when and for how many snaps.

this link also contains the links for the offensive play chart vs the browns along with the ones for the previous 4 games.

things of note- last week z. hood played 27 snaps and eason played 28 (a big deal has been made if eason starts ahead of ziggy when in reality they have both received the same ammt of snaps all season). also worthy to note the steelers dont think of eason and hood in the game at the same time as a liability, nor do they hesitate giving keisel and smitha breather at the same time. infact it is their designed formula. ziggy primarily subs for smith.

also cool to see the distribution of the FB role. redman/johnson/miller all line up at fb randomly. very good mix to keep opponents on their heels and guessing.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-cont...icipation2.jpg
Old 10-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: Week 6 defensive play chart

It's always amazing how people's perceptions of what's happening or who's actually doing what in the games can be so far off. I'm guilty of it too.

Thanks for the link.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Interesting to see who never comes out. Do you have the "parent" link to this graphic?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

I tried to make the point in the Ziggy Hood thread that he's been rotating in and get a good number or reps every week and if he wasn't doing the job there's no way we'd be number one in run defense. 3-4 d-linemen are grunts, their job is to take on blocks to free up the linebackers to make plays. So if the linebackers are making plays, and the run is being stifled it's a fairly safe bet that all the defensive linemen are doing their jobs.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:55 AM   #5
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Interesting to see who never comes out. Do you have the "parent" link to this graphic?
my bad.

heres the parent link which contains offensive and defensive charts for all 5 games.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/tag/participation-chart/

i too find it interesting to see on "paper" who are the stallwarts who never leave a game. also interesting to see how little hampton plays late in games and how "nickel" almost becomes our base package.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
I tried to make the point in the Ziggy Hood thread that he's been rotating in and get a good number or reps every week and if he wasn't doing the job there's no way we'd be number one in run defense. 3-4 d-linemen are grunts, their job is to take on blocks to free up the linebackers to make plays. So if the linebackers are making plays, and the run is being stifled it's a fairly safe bet that all the defensive linemen are doing their jobs.
yeah, that thread is almost a carbon copy of the "timmons is a bust" threads from a couple of years ago. look where he is now. hood is still a young pup, just like mendenhall, timmons, and pouncey (all were drafted about a year or 2 younger than most of their peers).
Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Acerinox
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15579
My Mood: Lurking

Since you've decided to bring the Ziggy Hood thread over here, I've come with it!
I wish you would stop painting the Ziggy thing as just haters and screamers. Nobody sensible is jumping to conclusions and saying he's a bust. I just think there are legitimate concerns about his development that are worth discussion and consideration - rather than a healthy dose of "Don't Stop Believin'"!

These stats are great - and I ran them against what actually happened in the Browns game.
These are the stats on the run game. See what you make of them.

Keisel - 5 snaps - 7 yards gained. 0 tackles, 2 assists. Ypc: 1.4
Smith - 20 snaps - 67 yards gained. 2 tackles, 2 assists. Ypc: 3.35
Eason - 11 snaps - 39 yards gained. 0 tackles, 2 assists, half a sack. Ypc: 3.55
Hood - 10 snaps - 30 yards gained. 0 tackles, 0 assists. Ypc: 3.0

So what are we to make of this? Not a lot , I guess. Hood's snaps were stingy on yardage (surprised me), but he doesn't show up on the highlight reel at all. Keisel is beastly when he's in. Eason is a half-sack (s******). Aaron is just the best in every way.
Tony - I would love to see this kind of breakdown again after we face Miami. That way we could build up a body of evidence on all our guys.
Acerinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
tony hipchest
Supporter

i havent painted ANYONE as haters or screamers. however the fact remains that people also thought timmons was a disappointment while i never "stopped believing".

instead of looking at them as haters or screamers, maybe you can call them impatient with knee jerk reactions to drawn conclusions.

these draft charts prove another fact-

while fans are disappointed and expect more out of a very young 2nd year player in the most cxomplex defensive system in the league, the coaching staff has absolutely no problem with removing the starting definsive line and putting in the 3 back ups at any point in the game. Its almost a package deal. the provided defensive charts prove this.

if hood and eason were the weakest link, they would rotate them in a manner where atleast smith OR keisel were always on the field to pick up the slack.

Didnt anyone listen to the DL coach, lebeau, or tomlin in regards to how the DL rotation would play out this season? this is exactly the plan they mapped out in preseason. why is anyone disappointed if everything is going according to the mastermind's plan?

the plan isnt about showing up on "highlight reels" (it never is for our DL).

here are some other undenyable facts-

1) opponents study gamefilm.
2) opponents see on film, what we are seeing on the charts.
3) study shows that 3-4 times per game we remove smith/keisel and/or hampton.
4) study shows hood/eason and /or hoke are on the field at the same time.
5) part of a QB's responsibilities along with the center and even the rest of OL/RB/FB's is to identify the defensive personel grouping on every play and call plays or adjust accordingly, "check with me's", audibles, so on and so forth.

it is natural to think that other teams (and all fans) will think that this 2nd tier line is our "weaker" line of back ups.

has anyone complaining stopped to think that when the offense calls a run play against the disappointing hood, appendix boy eason, and old man hoke, the coordinator, and qb have done their study and said, "OK, we will run it here but we ARE NOT going to run it at hood"?

its not too far out of the realm of possibility, and probably a good reason hood isnt constantly showing up on television.

he most certainly isnt the weakest link in our 2nd DL rotation. i think teams are just more prone to run away from him as opposed to attacking his side.

the numbers support this.