Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
Webfactor8
Water Boy

Member Number: 1873
Default WVU in the National Title Race???

Ok guys, last season (2005 Record/BIG EAST Record: 11-1/7-0) WVU won the sugar bowl. This year it looks like WVU will run the Big East and go undefeated. Where with BCS put WVU? I don't think they will have a choice but to put us in the national title.

P.S.
Letterwinners Returning/Lost: 49/17 (Main losses were to the secondary)
Old 03-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: WVU in the National Title Race???

They've got one thing working against them: Strength of schedule.

Sat Sep 2 Marshall TBA
Sat Sep 9 Buffalo (Parents Day) TBA
Thu Sep 14 Maryland TBA
Sat Sep 23 at East Carolina TBA
Sat Oct 7 at Mississippi State TBA
Sat Oct 14 Syracuse (Homecoming) TBA
Fri Oct 20 at Connecticut TBA
Thu Nov 2 at Louisville TBA
Sat Nov 11 Cincinnati (Mountaineer Week) TBA
Thu Nov 16 at Pitt TBA
Sat Nov 25 USF TBA
Sat Dec 2 Rutgers

If they go undefeated, they still won't have anywhere near the computer points needed to play in a National Championship, unless all the other power teams from better football conferences end up with 2 losses, which is highly unlikely.

The way to fix that would be to replace Buffalo and/or Marshall with a Big 10 and/or SEC powerhouse.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
daleemnm
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 166

If they're the only undefeated team, then yes. LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
Old 03-17-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

I doubt that, unless some of the Big East football teams really make some vast improvements. This schedule is nothing special, and the Miami of Ohio from two years ago could plow through it. There's just not enough computer points generated by beating a bunch of Rutgers and UConn's...
Old 03-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #5
Webfactor8
Water Boy

I understand why there isn’t, but I wish there could be a tournament like in NCAA Basketball.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

I'm not knocking WVU at all, but I'm sure they'd have the door slammed in their face if they do manage an undefeated run...it's kind of circular logic here, but the argument would be that they SHOULD go undefeated playing a weak schedule. And, although they are an improved program, I don't think they'd survive a full season in either the Big 10 or the SEC. Those top teams just pound on each other so much week in and week out, it really takes something special to survive unscathed.

Again, the way they help themselves is to dump the Buffalo game and pick up a top 20 opponent (Hypothetically, since it's not going to happen at the eleventh hour). The Marshall game is okay, because they are a nationally recognized program, plus they have the whole in-state thing going, but Buffalo is a joke...they are a doormat in the MAC.

Last edited by Suitanim; 03-18-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Webfactor8
Water Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
I'm not knocking WVU at all, but I'm sure they'd have the door slammed in their face if they do manage an undefeated run...it's kind of circular logic here, but the argument would be that they SHOULD go undefeated playing a weak schedule. And, although they are an improved program, I don't think they'd survive a full season in either the Big 10 or the SEC. Those top teams just pound on each other so much week in and week out, it really takes something special to survive unscathed.

Again, the way they help themselves is to dump the Buffalo game and pick up a top 20 opponent (Hypothetically, since it's not going to happen at the elenth hour). The Marshall game is okay, because they are a nationally recognized program, plus they have the whole in-state thing going, but Buffalo is a joke...they are a doormat in the MAC.

You're right about the weak schedule. You can't really compare the Big 10 or the SEC (in football) to the big east. But the Big East is a conference on the rise. I think Pittsburgh, Louisville, (both recruited well) and Rutgers will continue to improve.

WVU has a BCS bowl win from last year, we haven't lost players in key positions. With the current BCS system how can an undefeated WVU not be in the big game? Regardless of strength of schedule.

This isn't about if WVU deserves it. It's my opinion that they do, but I'm biased. I would like to hear any arguments for or against WVU making it to the BCS Championship. I think the math adds up.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfactor8
WVU has a BCS bowl win from last year, we haven't lost players in key positions. With the current BCS system how can an undefeated WVU not be in the big game? Regardless of strength of schedule.
I'll give you an example of how. OSU spanked a good ND team in a BCS game last year, and, while West Virginia is playing Buffalo at home, the Bucks will be travelling to the National Champion Texas Longhorns, where they will probably win. If the Bucks lose one game later playing Big 10 teams, and the Mountaineers go undefeated playing creampuffs, it would be a travesty if the Bucks were bumped for WVU.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfactor8
You're right about the weak schedule. You can't really compare the Big 10 or the SEC (in football) to the big east. But the Big East is a conference on the rise. I think Pittsburgh, Louisville, (both recruited well) and Rutgers will continue to improve.

This isn't about if WVU deserves it. It's my opinion that they do, but I'm biased. I would like to hear any arguments for or against WVU making it to the BCS Championship. I think the math adds up.

WVU has a case. White is back and pretty much no key players were lost from a season ago.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:27 AM   #10
daleemnm
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Again, the way they help themselves is to dump the Buffalo game and pick up a top 20 opponent (Hypothetically, since it's not going to happen at the eleventh hour). The Marshall game is okay, because they are a nationally recognized program, plus they have the whole in-state thing going, but Buffalo is a joke...they are a doormat in the MAC.
We're going to destroy Marshall too.