Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530
Default SWISS CHEESE

Is what our secondary has been looking like lately.................Where was Troy today?....Bmac?.........Marshal is a beast........But still Ike............Good tackle on that last 3rd down Gay..............Way to put it away on that last drive though D............Let's get better next week.....
Old 10-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,204 Times in 2,670 Posts
Default Re: SWISS CHEESE

Old 10-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Honestly, I complain about the secondary all the time.. but looking at the rest of the league.. who is legitimately better? Baltimore gave up 374 yards passing to RYAN FITZPATRICK. A lot of it comes from the pass rush too.. Henne had ALL DAY to throw most of the game, so the receivers can only be covered for so long. Plus no-one believes they can run it against us, so the stats are a bit deceiving I think when our defense is facing 25% more passes than most of the others.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

And to just think we have Brees next.
Also without Smith.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

the secondary did pretty good today considering we had virtually NO PASS RUSH. yeah, i know Woodley, Smith, and Keisel are important parts to the pass rush.. but nevettheless, the secondary still didn't do bad at all. Marshall was contained very well. you take 5 for 57 any time you can against Marshall. Henne spread the ball around, so it's not like one other guy killed us either.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

I agree with jjpro11,NO PASS RUSH,I could have foung someone open back there.I think the heat/humidity played a big role today!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

man not only is our pass defense going to be leaky....now our run D is going to get gashed.....I fully expect to give up 80-120 yards a game now

Our only hope is for Troy to stay healthy and we keep getting turnovers

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,409 Posts

thank god for bmac ... otherwise they might be as bad as last year...

seriously though ... as others have said , the pass rush has been a non factor. lebeau better break out his napkins that he draws his blitzes up on.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
WickedSteel
Banned

Member Number: 17099

538 yards over the past two games to McCoy and Henne! NO pass rush to speak of whatsoever. Now with Woodley, Smith and Keisel out, the run D is severely damaged too. Now the Steelers face the Saints, Bengals and Pats in consecutive weeks.....ouch. If they can't get anymore of a pass rush than what they have recently, Brees, Palmer and Brady will eat them alive. The horrible play of the secondary has been masked for years by the effectiveness of the pass rush putting pressure on QBs. Now with little pressure put on QBs over the past two weeks, you can see how pathetic the secondary is. This has been the downfall of the Steelers D for years and yet they refuse to draft a quality corner or pick up a FA.

This is fast becoming a pass first league and the Steelers had better adapt. They need to have corners that can be trusted to be left on an island when need be. Take a look at the QBs that they face the rest of the season: Brees, Palmer twice, Brady, Flacco again, Sanchez. Look at the recievers: Colston, Moore, Meachem, T.O., Ocho, Shipely, Branch, Welker, Edwards, Holmes, Boldin, Houshmanzadeh, Mason, S.Smith, Evans, etc. This secondary is going to be put under alot of pressure with this lineup. Either the D must step up or the offense must step up and score more than 23 points a game. Where has Troy been lately? The offense shut down in the second half today. Wallace makes one huge catch and then disappears. Mendy was shut down by a mediocre run D. Adams was injured today to add to the O-line woes. Ben was pressured alot today and his fumble showed that.

I know that the Steelers are 5-1 and sitting pretty, but it only gets tougher from here and they need to improve EVERYWHERE.
WickedSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSteel View Post
538 yards over the past two games to McCoy and Henne! NO pass rush to speak of whatsoever. Now with Woodley, Smith and Keisel out, the run D is severely damaged too. Now the Steelers face the Saints, Bengals and Pats in consecutive weeks.....ouch. If they can't get anymore of a pass rush than what they have recently, Brees, Palmer and Brady will eat them alive. The horrible play of the secondary has been masked for years by the effectiveness of the pass rush putting pressure on QBs. Now with little pressure put on QBs over the past two weeks, you can see how pathetic the secondary is. This has been the downfall of the Steelers D for years and yet they refuse to draft a quality corner or pick up a FA.

This is fast becoming a pass first league and the Steelers had better adapt. They need to have corners that can be trusted to be left on an island when need be. Take a look at the QBs that they face the rest of the season: Brees, Palmer twice, Brady, Flacco again, Sanchez. Look at the recievers: Colston, Moore, Meachem, T.O., Ocho, Shipely, Branch, Welker, Edwards, Holmes, Boldin, Houshmanzadeh, Mason, S.Smith, Evans, etc. This secondary is going to be put under alot of pressure with this lineup. Either the D must step up or the offense must step up and score more than 23 points a game. Where has Troy been lately? The offense shut down in the second half today. Wallace makes one huge catch and then disappears. Mendy was shut down by a mediocre run D. Adams was injured today to add to the O-line woes. Ben was pressured alot today and his fumble showed that.

I know that the Steelers are 5-1 and sitting pretty, but it only gets tougher from here and they need to improve EVERYWHERE.
Good post. I think it is worthy of its own thread. Now that the Browns embarrassed the Saints, I think the Steelers will be in very tough against them next week. The offense is going to have to carry this team as I think the defensive production is going to drop off significantly.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote