Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Harris: Steelers veterans refuse to buckle

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_705968.html
Harris: Steelers veterans refuse to buckle

By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, October 25, 2010

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. The Dolphins were spotted a 6-0 lead with less than two minutes elapsed on Sunday, courtesy of back-to-back Steelers fumbles to open the game.

A lesser team would have been on the verge of collapse at that point: on the road, costly early turnovers, playing without starting defensive end Brett Keisel.

To beat the Steelers, you have to stomp and kick them when they're down.

Miami let the Steelers off the hook.

Instead of breaking down, the Steelers knuckled down. Their defense held Miami to a pair of field goals despite the Dolphins taking over at the Steelers' 22 and 13, respectively. The Steelers then reeled off 10 consecutive points, and 17 of the next 20, in building a 17-9 lead.

The 23-22 final score at Sun Life Stadium was a formality for the likes of Hines Ward, James Farrior, Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith (injured tricep and all), who have won so many games over the last decade, they've probably lost count.

"We've got a group of guys that have been doing it the Steeler way, the Rooney way, for a long time," said Farrior, the defensive captain, whose unit helped the Steelers improve to a 5-1 record this year and who improved his regular-season record with the Steelers to 86-47-1. "That's what's been getting us over the hump. That's what's getting us through these tough games. We've got a lot of confidence and a lot of resiliency."

This is Farrior's ninth season with the Steelers. He has started all but four regular season games during that span. Since joining the Steelers, Farrior, 35, has won two Super Bowls, appeared in three AFC championship games and advanced to the playoffs five times.

It's Year No. 10 for Hampton with the Steelers. Smith's in his 12th season.

For Ward, it's lucky No. 13.

Along with Keisel, who sat out with a hamstring injury, Farrior, Ward, Smith and Hampton are the longest-tenured players on the roster.

"It's a matter of the veteran guys leading by example. We've been there before," Ward said. "The Steelers have always used that combination. That's the reason why they continue to have success over the years. No panicking and blowing up the whole thing and getting rid of all the veterans. But keeping the veterans that are still productive, regardless of what people may say."

Ward was targeted a game-high 10 times. He had seven receptions for a season-high 131 yards and a nifty 21-yard touchdown catch from Ben Roethlisberger that made it 10-6 in the second quarter.

Not bad for a 34-year old wideout who was supposed to be over the hill.

"I was supposed to fall off three or four years ago, and I'm still being productive," said Ward, the longest-tenured wide receiver in the league with the same team. "The Steelers signing me to an extension, it's great the way they do it keeping the nucleus of veterans and mix in rising stars like LT (Lawrence Timmons), (LaMarr) Woodley, and now add in youth with Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall and Emmanuel Sanders.

"Myself, Potsie (Farrior), Aaron Smith, Hampton, Keisel. It's great to see guys in their 30s still being productive and helping this team win."

Hampton, who turned 33 last month, said he isn't ready to think about the Steelers' remarkable run since he joined the team in 2001. Looking back, he said, prevents him from looking toward a winning future.

"We know we've been good for a while, and we take pride in that," said Hampton, who anchored a defensive line that, despite not having Keisel before the game and losing Smith during the contest, held Miami to 64 yards rushing. "But that's for people to look at when we're done and say, 'Yeah, they were really good.' Right now, we're out there still trying to get it."

Naturally.

The Steeler way.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: Harris: Steelers veterans refuse to buckle

Wards far from being done. The rest need replaced as soon as next season!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

I don't think they all need replaced. Hampton is stil lone of the best nose tackles, though Smith needs a more reliable back up. Farrior is having a hard time living through the season, he has to use a neck, arm and leg brace just to survive during the final games of the season.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
DanRooney
Head Coach

Member Number: 16248

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Wards far from being done. The rest need replaced as soon as next season!
I'll give Ward 1 more season after this one. Emmanuel Sanders looks ready to play. I'd like to see him at 3 for the rest of the season.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,004 Times in 3,037 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
I don't think they all need replaced. Hampton is stil lone of the best nose tackles, though Smith needs a more reliable back up. Farrior is having a hard time living through the season, he has to use a neck, arm and leg brace just to survive during the final games of the season.

farrior has missed like 4 games in his entire career.

and if a 2nd year player who was a 1st round pick (whom a. smith and the rest of the coaching staff. think the world of) isnt a solid back up, i dont know who is.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

farrior has missed like 4 games in his entire career.

and if a 2nd year player who was a 1st round pick (whom a. smith and the rest of the coaching staff. think the world of) isnt a solid back up, i dont know who is.

Farrior is tough, like Favre, which is why he hasn't missed games, but it does wear on him a lot, and there's only so much he can do. 1 arm brace limits his play as it is, what is he gonna do with 2? But I don't know, maybe he can last 20 seasons like Favre.
(I know a lot of people don't know what I'm talking about, but Farrior generally wears a neck brace and occasionally an arm brace and leg brace near the end of the season showing that his body is having trouble finish the season)

Smith was a 4th round pick from a reletively unknown school when it comes to football. Steelers need to work on some better scouting to find someone to replace him if Hood doesn't turn into a dominant player. Smith plays on the strong side of the line. Teams run 80% of the time to that side.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Excellent read. Once again we have the perfect mix of veterans and young talent to make a deep run.