Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-25-2010, 03:26 AM   #1
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Why is Randle El our PR?

We are dead last in the NFL in punt return average at 4.5 yards, compared to 16.7 by Chicago. Meanwhile on kick returns we are 5th. Curiously, the number one punt returner in the entire league in terms of average is a Steeler: Antonio Brown with 21 yds/return.

Granted, he only has one punt return, and it's for 21 yards. But then again, there are nine guys at the bottom of the list with one return for zero yards. And what do you know, almost immediately above those nine guys is our full-time punt returner, Antwaan Randle El, with a 3-yard per return average. He also just misses first place with his number of fair catches. It's pathetic.

You say Tomlin wants his steady, ready veteran hands at this position, to prevent the fumbles? Well guess what? He's tied for first place in the league for fumbles among punt returners. He's returned 11 punts, and fumbled twice. That's a fumble almost every fifth return.

This is way too much info already. Somebody please tell me what sort of pictures ARE has of Tomlin or Everest. Why the hell are Sanders and Brown not covering all of our return duties? Better yet, tell me we've seen the last of Randle El at PR. I like the guy, and I don't need to see him cut, but this is ridiculous. Put playmakers on the field.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:05 AM   #2
Acerinox
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 15579
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Why is Randle El our PR?

+ 1
Acerinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

probably the same reason Fox doesnt see the field...Sticking with the vets.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Rather have sure hands than ball movement, thats up to BB to handle. Plus our pump coverage isn't exactly great.

However EL keeps wanting to catch the ball on his shoulders and has not exactly been a sure bet to not drop the rock.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
billym99
Water Boy

Member Number: 11477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Rather have sure hands than ball movement, thats up to BB to handle. Plus our pump coverage isn't exactly great.

However EL keeps wanting to catch the ball on his shoulders and has not exactly been a sure bet to not drop the rock.
I agree... i've only seen him muff one catch on punt returns, i believe it was in the Cleveland game but can't remember. He recovered the the ball immediately. I like his ability to catch the ball, wish he could run better after the catch.
billym99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
bigchuck
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 16933

because hes the most sure handed punt returner we have, no way i want a rookie back there feilding punts, who is your expert pick to return punts for us and why??
bigchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

Sanders fumbled the opening kick and it almost cost us the game yesterday. At least on a kickoff, he has time to recover a fumble before the other team can pounce on it. You don't have that luxury on a punt so you better have your most sure-handed returner back there. I don't think El has turned the ball over yet this year, has he? I'll sacrifice return yards for sure catches every time. Our offense is strong enough to drive the ball just about any distance so punt return yards aren't as crucial as they'd be if we had an anemic offense.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Mellow

With the ousting of Logan, the Steelers now have ZERO threat in the return game. ARE is a "once was" player. He is a has been. I have seen several muffs from this guy and lots of dancing around for nothing.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoneBlitzer View Post
With the ousting of Logan, the Steelers now have ZERO threat in the return game. ARE is a "once was" player. He is a has been. I have seen several muffs from this guy and lots of dancing around for nothing.
But has he turned the ball over or cost us anything more than a few return yards? Yeah, it's a bit of an adventure with him back there but it hasn't cost us yet. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,651 Times in 2,539 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYoi View Post
Sanders fumbled the opening kick and it almost cost us the game yesterday.
Sure Sanders fumbled the opening kick yesterday, but I respectively disagree that it was that play and that play only that almost cost us the game. Sanders more than made up for his fumble throughout the remainder of the game, in my opinion.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote