Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #21
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,180 Posts
Default Re: Why is Randle El our PR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post

As far as this theory that the coaches know best, and would never put a bad plan in place, or put anyone other than their best players on the field... .
sean mayhan....nuff said..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
But neither is Randle El, and yet both of them will be returning for us next week. Or rather, one of them will be returning for us, while the other fair catches. At least one of them shows something for the risk.

As far as this theory that the coaches know best, and would never put a bad plan in place, or put anyone other than their best players on the field... You clearly have not been paying attention to Steelers' special teams over the past 10-12 years, and especially over the previous three.
Steelers last year had the worst special teams unit. Steelers in 2008 had the best special teams unit. Coverage wise, they didn't score points, but they didn't allow as many run backs or return yards as any other team.

If you wanted the best players on special teams, you'd do what the 85 bears did, and put all your starters on special teams...

And again you don't know if anyone is better than El at punt returns. I really doubt he likes it back there, he looks scared half the time.
If Wallace is the fastest player in the NFL why isnt' he returning kicks?

From what I've noticed about the punt unit is that it sucks at setting up blocks in general. I think ARE has had a total of like 5 punts that didn't go out of bounds or he hasn't had to call fair catch on.

More than likely in practice Sanders and or Brown didn't call fair catch enough times and tried to return it and screwed up.

Why don't you email the Steelers and ask for the practice tapes of special teams
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #23
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy36 View Post
I'm frustrated with ARE's returns as well but please realize there are ten other fellas on the field at the time who have a responsibility to get in front of someone and at least create somewhat of a lane for the return man...this isn't tecmo bowl :)

That being said, I'm not sure ARE is the man to be back there either...just saying I don't see a lot of room for him most of the time.
there's always going to be a defender running free ... the returner has to be able to dodge at least 1 guy. randal el doesn't get by the first defender down the field , thus the 3 yard average. hell if you just caught the ball and fell forward your going to average 2 yds ...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #24
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,871 Times in 2,115 Posts

bring back Dookie AKA The Dump Truck!
Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #25
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy36 View Post
I'm frustrated with ARE's returns as well but please realize there are ten other fellas on the field at the time who have a responsibility to get in front of someone and at least create somewhat of a lane for the return man...this isn't tecmo bowl :)

That being said, I'm not sure ARE is the man to be back there either...just saying I don't see a lot of room for him most of the time.
Yes, and those same 10 other guys popped Brown loose for a 21-yard return (with no fumble, I'll add.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
Steelers last year had the worst special teams unit. Steelers in 2008 had the best special teams unit. Coverage wise, they didn't score points, but they didn't allow as many run backs or return yards as any other team.

If you wanted the best players on special teams, you'd do what the 85 bears did, and put all your starters on special teams...

And again you don't know if anyone is better than El at punt returns. I really doubt he likes it back there, he looks scared half the time.
If Wallace is the fastest player in the NFL why isnt' he returning kicks?

From what I've noticed about the punt unit is that it sucks at setting up blocks in general. I think ARE has had a total of like 5 punts that didn't go out of bounds or he hasn't had to call fair catch on.

More than likely in practice Sanders and or Brown didn't call fair catch enough times and tried to return it and screwed up.

Why don't you email the Steelers and ask for the practice tapes of special teams
We had the worst coverage units, at least with regards to scoring. We were actually 27th and 23rd, and now we're 26th and 11th. But what of it? Are you suggesting that we cannot change our punt returner for the risk of giving up KR TDs to our opponents?

Please don't tell me we're going to have the same debate as the past few years with Shitthebedsky at ST coach. It is our right and our duty as fans to ask questions about our team's performance. Anyone who thinks the folks upstairs would never, ever do anything less than their best is not asking enough questions.

[I just edited our return coverage stats... we're not exactly lights out this year either.]

Last edited by ricardisimo; 10-25-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Got my stats wrong for this year
ricardisimo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #26
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
Yes, and those same 10 other guys popped Brown loose for a 21-yard return (with no fumble, I'll add.)

We had the worst coverage units, at least with regards to scoring. We were actually 27th and 23rd, and now we're 26th and 11th. But what of it? Are you suggesting that we cannot change our punt returner for the risk of giving up KR TDs to our opponents?

Please don't tell me we're going to have the same debate as the past few years with Shitthebedsky at ST coach. It is our right and our duty as fans to ask questions about our team's performance. Anyone who thinks the folks upstairs would never, ever do anything less than their best is not asking enough questions.

[I just edited our return coverage stats... we're not exactly lights out this year either.]
I thought we had the best in 2008... or maybe that was a couple years before then. I know at somepoint between 2004 and 2008 we had one of the better coverage teams units... But I don't know I was in the psychward and my memory could be fuzzy.

But I do know that why complain? No one will do anything if you just complain, especially since you really don't know if Brown or Sanders is good at punt returning. What if everyone in Pittsburgh protested one of them should return punts instead of ARE and then the first punt return is muffed ending up in a touchdown for the other team. Would you be proud of that? Honestly I don't think Brown brings anything other than speed. His touchdown was a very good executed played by the whole special teams unit. Sanders atleast has shown he can take it pretty far on just a normal return. But he only runs straight ahead. 80% of punt return touchdowns are from a player moving around and dodging the first few people before running it back. Its never a straight ahead run from begining to end.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #27
ricardisimo
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
I thought we had the best in 2008... or maybe that was a couple years before then. I know at somepoint between 2004 and 2008 we had one of the better coverage teams units... But I don't know I was in the psychward and my memory could be fuzzy.

But I do know that why complain? No one will do anything if you just complain, especially since you really don't know if Brown or Sanders is good at punt returning. What if everyone in Pittsburgh protested one of them should return punts instead of ARE and then the first punt return is muffed ending up in a touchdown for the other team. Would you be proud of that? Honestly I don't think Brown brings anything other than speed. His touchdown was a very good executed played by the whole special teams unit. Sanders atleast has shown he can take it pretty far on just a normal return. But he only runs straight ahead. 80% of punt return touchdowns are from a player moving around and dodging the first few people before running it back. Its never a straight ahead run from begining to end.
First of all, squeaky wheels get the grease, that's one of life's most basic truisms. No one in Cincy cares if their team wins or loses, and they get just what they ask for.

Secondly, how do we not know if Brown or Sanders are any good at returning? We do know for a fact that at a bare minimum they have enormous upside, and we have strong reasons to believe they would excel at the position.

Thirdly, where do you get the idea that a lot of horizontal movement is the key with punt returns? It's the exact opposite, straightline speed and vision (as well as good blocking and luck) are what you need in your PR. Type in "punt return for TD" in Google and randomly scroll through the videos that appear. Almost all of the returns are North-and-South running, with the occasional little wiggle here or there.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #28
lionslicer
Team President

Quote:
First of all, squeaky wheels get the grease, that's one of life's most basic truisms. No one in Cincy cares if their team wins or loses, and they get just what they ask for.

Secondly, how do we not know if Brown or Sanders are any good at returning? We do know for a fact that at a bare minimum they have enormous upside, and we have strong reasons to believe they would excel at the position.

Thirdly, where do you get the idea that a lot of horizontal movement is the key with punt returns? It's the exact opposite, straightline speed and vision (as well as good blocking and luck) are what you need in your PR. Type in "punt return for TD" in Google and randomly scroll through the videos that appear. Almost all of the returns are North-and-South running, with the occasional little wiggle here or there.
If ARE went straight ahead, he would die, the punt blocking isn't that good lol.

And how do we know they are good at returning? We can go back in forth with this. Don't preach to me, I'm serious email the Steelers about this, or just go to their training facility and demand what you want!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #29
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:

actually thats not entirely true... ....and yes , i'm singling you out because i'm an asshole.
Quote:
Bengals' fans blast management with billboard campaign

By Joe Zedalis
A group of frustrated and angry Bengals fans have purchased space on four billboards in the greater Cincinnati area blasting team management for the lousy state of the franchise.
The billboards read: "Dear Bengals, hire a general manager. Love, your fans.''
The message is clearly directed at owner Mike Brown. According to the website whodeyrevolution.com fans have had enough of 18 seasons of Mike Brown making football decisions. The team, which does not have a GM, has a record of 98-183, the worst winning percentage of all professional sports teams over that stretch. Einstein's famous quote "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and
Organizers of the billboard campaign are asking fans to contribute money "to make sure these billboards can stay up for the rest of the season and into the once again Bengal-free post-season.'' ,
Organizers are asking fans to donate $18 each — or $1 for each year of Mike Brown's ownership of the team.
The website noted: "Just think how much of your money Mike Brown has buried in a tin can in his backyard (he doesn't trust those new fancy "banks").''
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...urn=nfl-121646

Old 10-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #30
ricardisimo
Administrator

You poopscallion!!! I'll get you if it's the last thing I ever do!!!