Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 03-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Anyone else think the Browns will be an interesting team this season?

They did better than any other team in the NFL free-agency-wise IMO (including the Redskins), and still have a draft coming up to continue to plug holes and fill gaps.

Resounding yes. They will be a significantly improved team next year...I think they'll beat the Bengals once, will beat a Phillip Rivers led Bolts, and can beat Atlanta and Tampa.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
Mr. Clean
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1156
Default Re: Anyone else think the Browns will be an interesting team this season?

At this point, nobody knows if Rivers will be better than Frye, the same, or worse. Cleveland does not have the Chargers' D, they don't have LaDanian Tomlinson, and they don't have Antonio Gates. Nor do they have anyone who can stop Tomlinson or Gates.

Without an improved D, and sorry, but I don't see it, they won't be able to stop Tony Gonzalez or Larry Johnson. Heck, the idea of the Steelers facing Larry Johnson is scary. Trent Green, his age notwithstanding, is better than Frye or Dilfer.

Tampa does not have a great offense, but their defense is vastly better than the Browns. Atlanta - who knows? 11-5 in 2004, 8-8 in 2005. They may bounce back. The Falcons are closer to being a contending team than the Browns.

Cincinnati does have Rudi Johnson. The guy is a stud. They often quit using him and they fall in love with the pass. If I was in charge of developing a game plan against the Browns, I would give it to Johnson 30 times or more. No way does the Browns D stop him. Should the Browns face Cincinnati after Palmer has returned they don't have a chance.

7-9 if they are lucky, 4-12 is much more likely. This has nothing to do with what I think of the Browns fans or the media that covers them. Signing a bunch of old players (Bentley excepted) and Dave Zastudil doesn't make them a contender.

What will make them a contender is two to three successful drafts - most importantly that will fill their gaping holes in the LB and secondary and development of Frye. The last two drafts have produced next to nothing for the Browns. There is a huge gap in talent between the Browns and the top two teams in the AFCN, Pittsburgh & Cincinnati.

The last time the Browns built a contender, back in the mid 1980s, they used the draft, they lucked out and signed a number of USFL players (Kevin Mack, Mike Johnson, Frank Minniefield) and Ernie Accorsi finagled the trade to draft Bernie Kosar with the supplemental draft pick. Belicik brought in a bunch of vets in 1991-1994, and they did have
an 11-5 season in 1994, but it was disaster afterward.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:15 PM   #13
geran42o
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 48

Whatcha worried about, doesn't matter who they sign or draft as long as the franchise remains in Cleveland they'll still suck. Look they had to move to Baltimore to even win a SB and this team ain't no different.

geran42o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:09 AM   #14
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

The browns got a little better, and alot older! Romeo saw that the last three coaches in cleve only averaged three years, and knew he had to win asap. In two years they will be capped out and old. Edwards may not even be back until mid to late season. And Frye does nothing for me.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets
there's no doubt that they've gotten better on paper. frye will be the key for em this year. they may not be quite a serious contender yet,but they won't be the clowns of last year.
So true. I think they over paid for some of these players, but they will be better. I'd say 8-8, 9-7 at the most.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #16
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
The Browns will not win eight or nine games in 2006. Look at their schedule. Two games with Cincinnati. Two games wiht Pittsburgh. Denver, San Diego, Kansas City, Carolina, Tampa, Atlanta.

The dregs they get are the Raiders, Saints, Bills, Titans and Ratbirds.
I never thought I would see the day that the Raiders were considered dregs. Oh well, pick ourselves up and get back on the horse... it can only get better from here on.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,041 Times in 3,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black
I never thought I would see the day that the Raiders were considered dregs. Oh well, pick ourselves up and get back on the horse... it can only get better from here on.
if it can happen to the 49ers i guess it can happen to anybody. (anybody but the steelers of course)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #18
Mr. Clean
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black
Uh, sorry to offend, but the Raiders have a long way to go to get better.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:18 PM   #19
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

Interesting? Yes.

Good? Not so much.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #20
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Still can't understand this...but it doesn't matter, as time will prove me right.

I see the Browns at 9-7 or 10-6 and taking the #2 spot from the Palmer-less (at least for the first 4-6 weeks of the season) Bungals in the AFC North.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote