Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
thumper
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,192
Member Number: 13415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

That sounds good, but N.O. is the one with the higher
rated D in this game. That's right. NO is rated 3rd in D,
Pgh is rated 4th. I know, I know, I know - I'm gonna hear
that the ratings don't tell the whole story, etc. etc. But my
point is: Don't come in with the assumption that our D
will be the determining factor to winning the game; their
D is just as good.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer
 
DoubleYoi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 174
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

Overall Defense is one of the most deceiving stats out there. It's based on yardage allowed per game which means next to nothing. A team can give up 500 yards a game which means squat if they keep the opponent off the scoreboard. Here's a few stats the Steelers own over the Saints that paints a different story:

Sacks: Pit 18, N.O. 12
Int: Pit 8, N.O. 4
Fumbles Forced: Tie at 11
Fumbles Recovered: Pit 8; N.O. 5
Rush Yds: Pit 63.7, N.O. 108.7
Points Per Game: Pit 13.7, N.O. 19.7

Don't let the "Overall Defense" rankings fool you.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
theplatypus
Team Owner
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,948
Member Number: 3329
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

There's nothing like a little clarity.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod
 
Fire Arians's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 10,478
Member Number: 16570
Thanks: 1,815
Thanked 6,868 Times in 2,905 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

points allowed > yards allowed because in the end, the numbers on the scoreboard is the only thing that matters
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
thumper
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,192
Member Number: 13415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYoi View Post
Overall Defense is one of the most deceiving stats out there. It's based on yardage allowed per game which means next to nothing. A team can give up 500 yards a game which means squat if they keep the opponent off the scoreboard. Here's a few stats the Steelers own over the Saints that paints a different story:

Sacks: Pit 18, N.O. 12
Int: Pit 8, N.O. 4
Fumbles Forced: Tie at 11
Fumbles Recovered: Pit 8; N.O. 5
Rush Yds: Pit 63.7, N.O. 108.7
Points Per Game: Pit 13.7, N.O. 19.7

Don't let the "Overall Defense" rankings fool you.
Ummm, D rated by yards allowed is not the end all analysis in
evaluating Ds, but it's also not totally irrelevant either. If it were, then
why is it that Ds who rank high in yardage allowed are also ranked
high across the board? You will never see the #1 defense in points
allowed will never be 30th in yardage allowed. Why? Because both
are indicators of the quality of a D. Thusly, this Saints D that is
rated 3rd, must be a decent D, period.

And your hand picked stats are interesting, but there was cherry picking
involved. For instance, how about passing D?

NO - 3rd
Pgh - 24th

Don't tell me that isn't crazy significant. Because it is. NO is hard to
pass on. Pgh? Not so much. 24th is crap. For some reason Dickie L
loves keeping CBs way off the WR and keep the middle wide open.
Pgh is giving up 236 yards in the air per game. The Saints are going
to pass all over this D. Hope I'm wrong.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
thumper
Banned
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,192
Member Number: 13415
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
points allowed > yards allowed because in the end, the numbers on the scoreboard is the only thing that matters
True. But a team giving up gobs of yards probably gives up points too.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer
 
DoubleYoi's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 174
Gender: Male
Member Number: 15474
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Ummm, D rated by yards allowed is not the end all analysis in
evaluating Ds, but it's also not totally irrelevant either. If it were, then
why is it that Ds who rank high in yardage allowed are also ranked
high across the board? You will never see the #1 defense in points
allowed will never be 30th in yardage allowed. Why? Because both
are indicators of the quality of a D. Thusly, this Saints D that is
rated 3rd, must be a decent D, period.

And your hand picked stats are interesting, but there was cherry picking
involved. For instance, how about passing D?

NO - 3rd
Pgh - 24th

Don't tell me that isn't crazy significant. Because it is. NO is hard to
pass on. Pgh? Not so much. 24th is crap. For some reason Dickie L
loves keeping CBs way off the WR and keep the middle wide open.
Pgh is giving up 236 yards in the air per game. The Saints are going
to pass all over this D. Hope I'm wrong.
I'm not completely discrediting the Saints D but to tell me they're "ranked" higher than the Steelers D is a joke. I'd love to take a poll of NFL analysts and find out which defensive unit they'd rather have, the Saints or Steelers. Steelers would win in a landslide. Why? Because they're highly superior regardless of whatever system the NFL uses to rank "overall defense."

As for the passing D, do you honestly feel the Steelers are giving up 236 yards on average because they're incapable of stopping the pass? Huge chunks of those yards came while the Steelers were in the prevent defense against teams like Tennessee, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Cleveland....etc. Don't put too much stock in yardage allowed because often times, it's very situational. LeBeau would much rather give up the quick sideline routes and medium-length plays over the middle as opposed to getting beat deep. It's worked almost to perfection to this point so why change? Should they change for the sake of improving their overall defensive rating? I think not. After all, the Steelers are 5-1 while the Saints are 4-3 with their respective defensive units. Those are the most telling stats of all.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
CargoJon
Starter
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 595
Member Number: 4796
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

I don't think there's a sane person who would take the Saints D over the Pittsburgh D right now.

Granted, the Saints D has been more impacted by injuries than the Steelers....but the Saints defense is built to play with a lead. Their offense hasn't been giving them many leads lately.
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer
 
steelcity1974's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 295
Gender: Male
Member Number: 9669
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

Here is what I think of those rankings, San Diego Chargers - 1 in total offense, 1 in total defense. 2-5 record.
__________________
steelcity1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie
 
SteelCityMom's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: In the land of The Crazies
Posts: 7,687
Gender: Female
Member Number: 16666
Thanks: 2,756
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Pgh beats N.O. with superior D?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity1974 View Post
Here is what I think of those rankings, San Diego Chargers - 1 in total offense, 1 in total defense. 2-5 record.
Exactly. Overall ratings are pretty much bullshit. They're nice to flaunt and all, but if you don't have the win record to back them up, they are totally useless.
__________________
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause and effect, but actually from a non-linear non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey...stuff.


http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts