Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474
Default Thoughts On Santonio Trade?

Steelers shocked the world by trading to Santonio to the Jets in exchange for a 5th-round draft pick this past off-season. There have been many theories of why he was traded: The Steelers made an example out of Santonio, Rooneys were just avoiding a potential bitter contract dispute following this season....etc. I don't think many people thought the player drafted with that 5th-round pick would rival the skill set and upside the SB XLIII MVP brought to the table so the trade's grade should not be based on OT Chris Scott's production thus far.

Santonio served his suspension and has now played two games, amassing 7 receptions for 88 yards and 0 TDs. His role in the Jets offense will definitely increase in the weeks to come but how does this trade look to you now?

Obviously the Steelers offense would be better off with him in there but with a 5-1 record, I can't really complain. Mike Wallace hasn't disappointed, Hines should continue to be a work horse and Emanuel Sanders/Brown will only improve. To me, trading Santonio and avoiding the headache that could've been just exemplifies the one fact I already knew......The Rooneys know exactly what they're doing!!
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Thoughts On Santonio Trade?

I think the trade worked out well. If he was suspended he would just have taken up roster space for the first 6 weeks and neither Sanders or Brown would have gotten the chances they did, possibly one or even both of them wouldn't have even made the team. And in the future he would have taken up a lot of cap space as well.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Scott broke his foot, which throws the exact trade in itself out the window. He's back now, and I suspect that, thanks to Flozell's ankle, we might see him stay on the roster. If he works out, and we get an eight-year starter, we win as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't even need to be a Pro Bowler.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Tone is one more drug offense from a year suspension. Trust me, he WILL be caught with drugs again. There's a reason why teams didn't offer more.
ETL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,331 Times in 2,900 Posts

Holmes was not going to get a new contract and flunking another drug test forced the issue.

While having Holmes on the field would provide for a better passing offense this season, Santonio allegedly was acting out last year (late for meetings & perhaps team flights) and presumably could have turned into a toxic force in the locker room regarding his contract (see, e.g., Faneca) that Tomlin had no interest in having to deal with given Roethhlisberger's offseason drama.

Holmes absence is another issue going into this season that has (so far) turned out better than i anticipated
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
CargoJon
Starter

Member Number: 4796

Mike Wallace has done everything I expected he would. I really appreciated the contributions Santo made to this team, but the bullshit made it not worth it. He would have gone in free agency anyway a la Plaxico.
CargoJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #7
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Tone is one more drug offense from a year suspension. Trust me, he WILL be caught with drugs again. There's a reason why teams didn't offer more.
The fact that he was suspended for the first 4 games and had no contract beyond this year is probably the biggest reason teams weren't throwing more at the Steelers. I hear what you're saying though.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I agree with Atlanta dan, Santo was on his way out anyway. I look at this differently than most, I don't look at the player we got in the trade, I look at what we have at WR right now. Wallace is every bit as dynamic with out the "issues" of Holmes and with him gone it allows us to develop two pretty talented receivers in Sanders (who I think is a future pro bowler) and brown.
I think it has worked out for the best.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #9
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

He was a me dude....
Old 10-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

Quote:
Originally Posted by CargoJon View Post
Mike Wallace has done everything I expected he would. I really appreciated the contributions Santo made to this team, but the bullshit made it not worth it. He would have gone in free agency anyway a la Plaxico.
I haven't missed Santonio at all this year...and to your point, it's because Mike Wallace is filling the void.