Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,398 Posts
Default Ed B chat 10-26

Ed Bouchette: Welcome back. Let's get to your questions.

Tranche Ilkin: Is there any way to get Ben to stop taking crazy risks with the ball, or, in the words of Carole King and the late Chief Justice Rehnquist, do we just have to take the bitter with the sweet?

Ed Bouchette: Tell me, where's the bitter? I thought Roethlisberger played well on Sunday. You can't blame him for trying to score on that play. He lost one fumble trying a shovel pass. Did you see how Eli Manning started out last night? did you see how Drew Brees played vs. Browns?

Jopa-n: Ed, If Miami had been given the ball, all things considered, do you think the Steelers had a legit shot at getting back into FG range before the clock said 0:00?

Ed Bouchette: Miami would have gotten the ball on the 20 if they had ruled the Dolphins recovered. It would have been asking a lot but they did have the 2 minute warning and 2 timeouts left. Maybe.

Weinberg17: Fast Eddie. Long time. Hope all is well. Whats you prediction for this Sunday night in New Orleans?

Ed Bouchette: I don't like this matchup or the timing of it for the Steelers. they are no. 24 in pass defense and NO is no. 5 in pass offense. Saints are coming off a loss and steelers are 5-1. It's indoors on carpet. I like NO right now.

Atlanta Dan: Any word yet as to whether James Harrison will be sending flowers or just a card to Ray Anderson with the league office to express his deep gratitude to Mr. Anderson for deciding to "applaud James for restraining himself" and not making any unpleasant tackles during the Miami game?

Ed Bouchette: Mike Tomlin today called Anderson's words "insulting.'' The hanging judge was also patting himself on the back for a job well done. The NFL won't be happy until the scores are 70-68.

Weinberg17: Eddie. Do you think E. Sanders earned a roster spot for the rest of the year with his two nice returns and one third down catch? Or will he still be competing with Antonio Brown? And thirdly, why not play both of them and sit Battle?

Ed Bouchette: Battle right now is earning his way as a special teams player. I don't know that you need both rookie wide receivers, especially if Sanders is going to return kickoffs like that. I think it will be week to week between the two, though, and MT would like to keep both involved.

Weinberg17: Ed, in your expert opinion, how much of a dropoff is there from Aaron Smith to a healthy Ziggy Hood?

Ed Bouchette: Right now, a very big dropoff. Ziggy, though, has a chance to change that. His style also will be different from Aaron's.

Ted: Ed: Can you explain to me why Mike Tomlin let the clock run out at the end of the 1st half? I have been puzzled by this since it happened.

Ed Bouchette: He has admitted making a mistake by not letting Jeff Reed try a long field goal. He has not admitted to making a mistake of letting all that time run off with 2 timeouts left.

Tranche Ilkin: In your Monday article on the game you said "Players from both teams claimed they had recovered the football in the end zone." Was that just Ben, or did someone else on the Steelers make a claim to having recovered the football?

Ed Bouchette: Both Doug Legursky and Jonathan Scott said they were in possession of it as well. so many hands, such a small football.

Steelers in Hoboken: Hi Ed, If Woodley is out on Sunday, does Timmons move outside or does Worlids start?

Ed Bouchette: MT said today they would likely start Timmons and move Worilds there in their passing defense, with Timmons returning to the middle. that is how they played on sunday after Woodley was hurt.

Steelers in Hoboken: Hi Ed, Did MT give an update on the O-line injuries today?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, he did. flozell adams looks good and he said he "expects him to make it.'' Adams was walking today without a boot. they are hopeful on both Keisel and Woodley, although they will not practice early in the week. Essex is healed.

An K. P.: How do they officially record tackling stats? I have heard comments somewhere about coaches going back, watching film, and adjusting stats for tackles. Who makes that final call—the league or the teams?

Ed Bouchette: A guy keeps track in the press box and they distribute those stats with their others after the game. However, the coaches look at tapes of the game and add the tackles themselves and that is what the team uses as "official" tackles, although that is not an official stat recognized by the NFL.

Frank Lewis: What do you hear about Mendenall? Is there somethimg wrong or just a tough game?

Ed Bouchette: MT said he has a bruised shoulder last week. Don't know if that's been a reason for his 2.9-yard average in the past two games or if there are other factors.

mikeflores16: Why the lack of pressure the last couple of weeks?

Ed Bouchette: They had 5 sacks vs. Cleveland. but they did have just one vs. Miami. I've noticed fewer blitzes, but don't know if that's the reason.

Crowned: People want to say our pass defense is getting worse and worse each week, the way I see it is that we're not getting near as much pressure these last few weeks. Why is Lebeau consistently rushing 3 or 4 men? He seems less aggressive to me.

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers have allowed 89 points, the only team in the league under 100.

Steel Curtain Rising: Assuming the Steelers activate McClendon, is Worthington available to go on the practice squad?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, assuming they want him. they have another DE on the practice squad, Al Woods.

black_gold: Ed who replaces smith on the roster?

Ed Bouchette: My guess is Steve McLendon for a few reasons: He has been added twice previously when they needed NT. He's more of a DT but the Steelers ends are more DT and Mike Tomlin brought up his name today.

satch20: Hey Ed, why was worlids playing so much in the second half, with all the depth we have at inside backer why not just keep Timmons outside? Worlids did seem to be getting after Henne though, just curious.

Ed Bouchette: Timmons is more effective inside, especially on passing downs, which is when Worilds played outside.

Crowned: After 2 Legursky holding calls will Essex return to the starting lineup?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think they held that against him, for holding. I would expected Legursky to start.

Spittle from Cowher: How often do the networks ask the head coaches to take timeouts at specific times? Fisher indicated during last Monday night's game that both he and Del Rio were asked by ESPN to take timeouts at the end of the game ...

Ed Bouchette: That surprises me, but if they were asked, each had an opportunity to tell them what they could do with their requests.

Steel Curtain Rising: The demise of the Steelers defense seems to be a popular topic here. I will not go that far, but the defense does seem to give up quite a few points in the last 3-4 min of halfs. Is this something the coaches are working to adjust?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers lead the league with fewest points allowed, 89. Every other team has allowed more than 100.

Jopa-n: If the offensive players are being told the play is a TD, and thusly stop fighting for the ball because 'the play is over', is it fair to give the ball to the defense even if they see- after the replay- the D came up with it?

Ed Bouchette: No, which is why they did not.

Weinberg17: Eddie, Is Frank Summers still on the practice squad?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, he is.

Aaronsrightarm: Ed ... are stiller fans ever happy? I heard a few complaining about the win Sunday.

Ed Bouchette: I've heard a few more, unless those are the same few spreading their gospel to all.

Zib: After the Steelers field goal, Miami gets the ball back with about 2 minutes and no timeouts. What were the Miami coaches thinking starting that series with a run?

Ed Bouchette: That they might catch the Steelers off guard?

Jopa-n: What was up with the reporting of where the refs used to live? Has that never happened before where a ref came from the same area of one of the teams?

Ed Bouchette: It wasn't where the refs used to live that was reported; it was reported where they do live, and where they are from. It's happened in the past but it's rare when I see a Pittsburgh ref do a Steelers game and I do not think the NFL should put them in that kind of position, if for no other reason than why we're talking about it now, appearances sake.

BlahBlahBlah: Ed, as a member of the press, do you have access to the coaches films of games?

Ed Bouchette: No, thank god.

satch20: Ed, how do u feel about BA's play calling since ben is back? the no-huddle looked pretty effective (hint hint)

Ed Bouchette: I think Bruce Arians' play calling has been fine.

Mesto: You never give us an in depth prediction into the upcoming game, so I'll ask again, what are your thoughts on Sundays game in N'Orleans?

Ed Bouchette: Really, I have none at the moment other than what I told you, that I think the saints will win. I'm not going to break down sunday's game on tuesday, especially in a chat form.

moseby: Why doesn't Arians call for the long ball to Wallace more often? Or does he?

Ed Bouchette: You have to pick your spots, and even if you call it, the QB may change it at the line when he sees the defense. I think they've thrown deep to him quite a bit this season. He has 5 catches over 40 yards.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks, all. See you next week.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts
Default Re: Ed B chat 10-26

it seems like people arent happy enough with the win, or to be leading the league in scoring defense, they wanna win with "style" points.

fantasy football strikes again-

Crowned: People want to say our pass defense is getting worse and worse each week, the way I see it is that we're not getting near as much pressure these last few weeks. Why is Lebeau consistently rushing 3 or 4 men? He seems less aggressive to me.

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers have allowed 89 points, the only team in the league under 100.

Steel Curtain Rising: The demise of the Steelers defense seems to be a popular topic here. I will not go that far, but the defense does seem to give up quite a few points in the last 3-4 min of halfs. Is this something the coaches are working to adjust?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers lead the league with fewest points allowed, 89. Every other team has allowed more than 100.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,398 Posts

i don't think its so much that. i'd say its the lingering memories of last year collapse. the Defense last year looked pretty good through the first half of the season. when a rookie in his first start ever hangs almost 300 on ya , i can see where the concerns come from... people are wondering why that very same rookie , looked like a rookie with his 74 yards against the saints , but the steelers let him look like a confident seasoned vet.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts

yeah, that is kind of disturbing.

but one thing with lebeau defense facing rookies and inexperienced qb's ia that they p[lay extremely vanilla and just wait for them to make mistakes (almost taking for granted that they will ) as opposed to cranking it up a notch and forcing mistakes.

everyone comments how we make mccoy look like p. manning, but nobody really notes that sometimes we make the likes of manning, warner, etc look like rookies.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

We've been playing down to our competition for years now, fo shizzle. very frustrating to watch.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Defense is dead. Lord Goodell says there's no place for pass defense in his new Arena league.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote