Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,310 Times in 3,648 Posts
Default James Harrison blames NFL for "my least productive game"

PFT claims this is what James Harrison said on Showtime's Inside The NFL last night - I guess Ray Anderson did not receive flowers or candy from James after agent/attorney (and former All League high school QB!) Anderson commended James for his polite play in the Miami game

Steelers linebacker James Harrison drew praise from the league office this week for not committing any illegal hits in Sunday's game against the Dolphins. But Harrison says he had to sacrifice his performance to play the game the NFL wants him to play.

"That was my least productive game this year," Harrison told Josina Anderson on Inside the NFL. "We can still play the game, but it's not the same."

Inside the NFL showed multiple plays from the Steelers-Dolphins game when Harrison appeared to slow down and avoid contact, rather than accelerate and explode into a Dolphins player. Harrison said he was thinking about a suspension on those plays.

"If I shot in there I would have probably hit helmet to helmet, and I've already got one offense," Harrison said. "So I could probably be looking at a possible suspension."...

Harrison, who on Wednesday was credited with an interception that the official statistician had failed to record on Sunday, says he isn't worried about the long-term health implications of having so many head-first collisions on the field.

"To be honest with you, I'm not too concerned about it," Harrison said. "If that happens it's gonna suck, but hopefully I'll have made enough money and put in enough time that my kids don't have to worry about it. And if I've got to go through a little bit of hell so they don't have to, I'm fine with that."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...mor-mill/2.php
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044
Default Re: James Harrison blames NFL for "my least productive game"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
PFT claims this is what James Harrison said on Showtime's Inside The NFL last night - I guess Ray Anderson did not receive flowers or candy from James after agent/attorney (and former All League high school QB!) Anderson commended James for his polite play in the Miami game
I saw your question to Bouchette in the chat this week. I'm guessing Anderson just got a cute e-card in his email.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,010 Times in 1,702 Posts

Quote:
Atlanta Dan: Any word yet as to whether James Harrison will be sending flowers or just a card to Ray Anderson with the league office to express his deep gratitude to Mr. Anderson for deciding to "applaud James for restraining himself" and not making any unpleasant tackles during the Miami game?
you're an "insider" dan ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Quote:
Harrison, who on Wednesday was credited with an interception that the official statistician had failed to record on Sunday, says he isn't worried about the long-term health implications of having so many head-first collisions on the field.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...mor-mill/2.php
I was wondering what was up with that. At the end of the game it showed Henne had 0 picks and I was like, uhh.. was the last play of the game not a pick by Deebo?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
you're an "insider" dan ?
IMO the way for a PG+ subscriber to get Ed Bouchette to answer one of your questions in his online chat is to put a sarcastic spin on it

Based on what he is writing in the past several weeks Ed.B. appears to have cultivated as much of a personal dislike for the attitude Ray Anderson is packing as i have
Old 10-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

Dear Mr. Harrison,

As much as I don't like this Ray Anderson character, you should just shut your trap and work harder to make sure you're able to give a 100% while not breaking the NFL's rules, newly-enforced or not. All this whining about not being able to play "your game" is just painting you in a bad light. If you spent half as much time on tackling drills as you do complaining, you'd be the definition of a perfect tackler in the NFL's eyes.

If anybody has the right to complain as much as you, it's Dunta Robinson. There was absolutely nothing illegal about his hit, yet he was fined $50k. Maybe I can't hear his mouth flapping because I don't live in the Atlanta market but he seems to be much more mature about this whole thing.

Love ya James but this whole feeling victimized thing is getting real old.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleYoi View Post
Dear Mr. Harrison,

As much as I don't like this Ray Anderson character, you should just shut your trap and work harder to make sure you're able to give a 100% while not breaking the NFL's rules, newly-enforced or not. All this whining about not being able to play "your game" is just painting you in a bad light. If you spent half as much time on tackling drills as you do complaining, you'd be the definition of a perfect tackler in the NFL's eyes.

If anybody has the right to complain as much as you, it's Dunta Robinson. There was absolutely nothing illegal about his hit, yet he was fined $50k. Maybe I can't hear his mouth flapping because I don't live in the Atlanta market but he seems to be much more mature about this whole thing.

Love ya James but this whole feeling victimized thing is getting real old.
One of the few times the words Dunta Robinson and mature will appear in the same sentence

During Sunday's 24-7 loss to the Jets, the Houston Texans cornerback wore shoes with the words "Pay me Rick" written on them, in reference to general manager Rick Smith. On Wednesday, Robinson was fined by the team for his actions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4480393

For the record, Robinson did not meekly accept his fine from Anderson either

"I am disappointed by the NFL's ruling. I recognize the goal is to protect all players from the Pee Wee level on up. However, this was a bang-bang hit situation where I did not lead with my helmet, and therefore I will appeal. Although it was a violent hit, my hit did not violate the NFL's rules, and I was playing the game the way I always have. I am not a dirty player and have never been characterized as one."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...dirty-player/1

Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson, addressing the media for the first time about the NFL's decision to fine him $50,000 for a helmet-to-helmet blow to Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson last Sunday, called the league's action "ridiculous" and vowed not to change his playing style.

"I thought it was ridiculous, which is why I'm appealing it," Robinson said of the hit that sidelined both players during Atlanta's 31-17 road loss to Philadelphia. "If I thought it was a cheap shot on a guy, I'd pay the fine."...

"I've been playing football since I was 7 years old and I've been playing one way. You can't come in and change me or the way I play in two weeks. It's not going to change.

"When you step on the field, you don't say, 'I'm going to knock a guy out cold.' You play football."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-ridiculous/1

Harrison is 2 years removed from being NFL defensive player of the year, being responsible for arguably the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history, and plays for one of the league's glamour franchises. Robinson plays for the Falcons, a team which has a lower profile than the UGA college football program in its own city. Harrison's high profile was a big factor in why he was fined $75K (and is on the cover of SI this week even though the only flagrant hit on October 17 was by Meriwether for the Pats).

If Tomlin thinks Harrison is hurting the team by continuing to pound this issue (since Tomlin this week said he finds Anderson's comments "insulting" and "could not care less" what Anderson thinks I doubt that will happen ) either Tomlin or a team leader such as Farrior, Foote, or Ward will tell Harrison to stop the public comments, at which point my bet is they stop
Old 10-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

I hope Ray Anderson is on the sideline this week in New Orleans, and the Steelers "run a sweep" to his side... a la The Longest Yard...
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
DoubleYoi
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 15474

Quote:
One of the few times the words Dunta Robinson and mature will appear in the same sentence

During Sunday's 24-7 loss to the Jets, the Houston Texans cornerback wore shoes with the words "Pay me Rick" written on them, in reference to general manager Rick Smith. On Wednesday, Robinson was fined by the team for his actions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4480393

For the record, Robinson did not meekly accept his fine from Anderson either

"I am disappointed by the NFL's ruling. I recognize the goal is to protect all players from the Pee Wee level on up. However, this was a bang-bang hit situation where I did not lead with my helmet, and therefore I will appeal. Although it was a violent hit, my hit did not violate the NFL's rules, and I was playing the game the way I always have. I am not a dirty player and have never been characterized as one."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...dirty-player/1

Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson, addressing the media for the first time about the NFL's decision to fine him $50,000 for a helmet-to-helmet blow to Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson last Sunday, called the league's action "ridiculous" and vowed not to change his playing style.

"I thought it was ridiculous, which is why I'm appealing it," Robinson said of the hit that sidelined both players during Atlanta's 31-17 road loss to Philadelphia. "If I thought it was a cheap shot on a guy, I'd pay the fine."...

"I've been playing football since I was 7 years old and I've been playing one way. You can't come in and change me or the way I play in two weeks. It's not going to change.

"When you step on the field, you don't say, 'I'm going to knock a guy out cold.' You play football."

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...e-ridiculous/1

Harrison is 2 years removed from being NFL defensive player of the year, being responsible for arguably the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history, and plays for one of the league's glamour franchises. Robinson plays for the Falcons, a team which has a lower profile than the UGA college football program in its own city. Harrison's high profile was a big factor in why he was fined $75K (and is on the cover of SI this week even though the only flagrant hit on October 17 was by Meriwether for the Pats).

If Tomlin thinks Harrison is hurting the team by continuing to pound this issue (since Tomlin this week said he finds Anderson's comments "insulting" and "could not care less" what Anderson thinks I doubt that will happen ) either Tomlin or a team leader such as Farrior, Foote, or Ward will tell Harrison to stop the public comments, at which point my bet is they stop
I completely agree with everything Dunta Robinson said in that post. His hit was 100% legal no matter which way you interpret the rule. He hit the WR in the chest with his shoulder which is not a penalty or fine-able offense. Harrison, no matter what he intended to do, did make helmet-to-helmet contact with Massoquoi as he attempted to gain possession of the ball. I don't agree that he should've been fined $75k but he only beleaguered the point by threatening to retire which wouldn't happen in a million years. Just quit stomping your feet and play football already.
DoubleYoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

We all could see that it seems to have some affect to his and others game. It just didnt seem like Harrison was in the game much. I believe it affected him at some level.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote