Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-30-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cook: Steelers' Foote finds his greener pastures

Cook: Steelers' Foote finds his greener pastures
Friday, October 29, 2010
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10302/1098967-66.stm

It was, Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said this week, "one of the best and happiest days of my life." Aug. 7? Absolutely. That was the night he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. May 21, 2009? Of course. The Steelers visited the White House and President Barack Obama singled him out by name. Feb. 1, 2009? You bet. The Steelers survived the Arizona Cardinals to win Super Bowl XLIII. Feb. 5, 2006? Sure. The Steelers beat the Seattle Seahawks to become Super Bowl XL champions.

All were huge days for LeBeau in his magical football career. But he was talking about another day -- March 15. That was the day the Steelers re-signed inside linebacker Larry Foote.

"He's a plus -- on and off the field," LeBeau said. "He's special -- on and off the field."

LeBeau's respect for Foote is understandable; Foote had a starring role in the two Super Bowl wins. It is especially understandable this week; Foote carried the load for injured linebacker LaMarr Woodley against the Miami Dolphins Sunday, making one of the game's big plays when he stopped running back Ronnie Brown for no gain on a third-and-1 play from midfield early in the fourth quarter.

"Larry Foote did what Larry Foote does," LeBeau said.

It was the biggest of Foote's six tackles in the game. He took over at inside linebacker in the base defense after Woodley's hamstring injury in the second quarter, bumping Lawrence Timmons to Woodley's outside spot. He also had their only sack when he got to quarterback Chad Henne in the third quarter.

"He's been waiting for his chance to show that he's still got it," inside linebacker James Farrior said.

Point proved.

That's why the Steelers brought Foote back after he spent a season with the Detroit Lions, signing him to a three-year, $9.3 million contract, including a $1.8 million bonus. It's not just that he's one of their more respected veterans, an emotional leader along the lines of former linebacker Joey Porter. He still can play and knows LeBeau's complicated defense inside out.

That knowledge enabled Foote to make that third-and-1 play even though he busted the technique. He took a gamble and sliced behind pulling guard Richie Incognito to tackle Brown because he knew where his gap control help was.

"The coaches hate it when he does that," Farrior said, grinning. "If you take that risk, you had better make the tackle. [Foote] always does."

Expect more of the same from Foote Sunday night against the New Orleans Saints if Woodley (hamstring) isn't full-go. Foote was glad to see Woodley practice Thursday, but he would welcome the playing time and the challenge if Woodley is limited. "It's been a long time since I was a backup," he said.

Foote started every game for the Steelers from 2004-08. He asked to be traded or released after the second Super Bowl season because he realized Timmons was an emerging star. The Steelers obliged, enabling Foote to sign with his hometown Lions. He was the starter on a 2-14 team.

"The grass isn't always greener on the other side," he said.

Foote jumped at the chance to come back to the Steelers, accepting, if reluctantly, his place behind Timmons and Farrior. "He's too much of a professional to ever say anything about it," Farrior said. "But I know, as a competitor, he wants to be on the field every play."

It helps that Timmons has grown into one of the NFL's top linebackers and, I believe, the Steelers' MVP in their 5-1 start. "I've never seen a guy since I've been here with his versatility," Foote said. "He plays inside and can go outside. No one else can do that. It's a whole different skill set and a whole different mentality."

It also helps that Farrior, 35, is Foote's best friend. "He can still do it," Foote said. "It's a mental thing with him. I hear a lot of older players say they wake up one morning and they just don't want to do it anymore. Their body can't take it. He hasn't reached that point. He still loves it."

Foote, 30, still loves it, too. LeBeau has made it a point to get him more snaps. "Larry knows we look at him as a starter," he said. Even if Woodley plays every play against the Saints, Foote will give Farrior a break for a couple of series.

"I'm glad I'm here," Foote said. "From a competitor's standpoint, it's tough. But as far as being where I want to be -- on and off the field -- this is where I want to be. I'm comfortable here."

There's a lesson there.

That's right, Foote already conveyed it.

The grass isn't always greener ...
Ron Cook: rcook@post-gazette.com. Ron Cook can be heard on the "Vinnie and Cook" show weekdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on 93.7 The Fan.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10302...#ixzz13nszLyCl[/B]

Last edited by mesaSteeler; 10-30-2010 at 09:01 AM.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,414 Posts
Default Re: Cook: Steelers' Foote finds his greener pastures

i never disliked foote, but i wasn't a big fan of his either. i always thought his skill set was easily replacable. just like with randle el , i always thought he was taking up a roster spot from a guy with a lot of upside. guess what , i was right they let a lot of good linebackers slide by in the draft during footes tenure.
with that said , i think he's a great backup , albeit an over paid one. i doubt many teams were tripping over themselves trying to splash the cash on him. i mean he couldn't even get an extension from a perennial bottom feeder ..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:51 AM   #3
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Larry's a huge presence.......He knows alot of plays........He can hang out there and not do too much like some dudes do...........Plays a role in a team defense superbly.....
Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

A team player indeed, and in my opinion a much needed one. Getting old? sure. but he's wise and can still play.
BengalDestroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

We have the perfect senario with Foote back when a backer goes down to injury. He would be a starter on most NFL teams- much better plan in the event of injury than we had last year.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by truesteelerfan View Post
We have the perfect senario with Foote back when a backer goes down to injury. He would be a starter on most NFL teams- much better plan in the event of injury than we had last year.
sure...any team but the mighty lions and steelers ....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
TOOLofSTEEL
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17096

LeBeau probably just likes having a fellow Steel Lion to talk to now, lol.

In all seriousness though, Foote's one of those guys he just goes out there and does his job. He isn't gonna make the news or anything. But you don't have to worry about what he's doing to much.
TOOLofSTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,557 Times in 2,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i like when he does the foote stomp after getting a sack lol
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #9
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,909 Times in 866 Posts
My Mood: Cool

its just good to have him back
fer522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i never disliked foote, but i wasn't a big fan of his either. i always thought his skill set was easily replacable. just like with randle el , i always thought he was taking up a roster spot from a guy with a lot of upside. guess what , i was right they let a lot of good linebackers slide by in the draft during footes tenure.
with that said , i think he's a great backup , albeit an over paid one. i doubt many teams were tripping over themselves trying to splash the cash on him. i mean he couldn't even get an extension from a perennial bottom feeder ..
Foote has an odd but unique skill set that really allows him to be a good 3-4 linebacker with the Steelers. He isn't a 4-3 big run stuffing middle linebacker, but he also isn't a speed cover 2 type guy either, he has a balance of both, but he has a tad more speed and he's a very smart guy, which is what the Steelers defense is based on, a lot of smart talented guys. LeBeau is the one who probably has the most say in what linebackers he wants when it comes down to the draft, though Timmons was drafted while Foote was still on the team.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote