Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 03-20-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
DIESELMAN
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1031
Default Re: Tagliabue to Retire

I wish him well he's done a lot for the league.....

The Associated Press reports secretary of state Condoleezza Rice is not applying for the newly opened post of NFL commissioner - not now, anyhow, her spokesman said carefully Monday, March 20. Rice is enjoying being secretary of state "at the moment," spokesman Sean McCormack said. The wiggle-room in his response after NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced he would retire resonated off frequent only half-joking statements by Rice that as a lifelong football fan she aspires to run the league one day. New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft seems to be in Rice's corner for the football post.

Steve Wyche, of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, reports Atlanta Falcons general manager Rich McKay would have owner Arthur Blank's support if the other owners feel McKay would be a good replacement for NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue. Blank said, "There's no question that Rich, given his experience on the competition committee, his leadership in the league and roots and experience in the game, is well thought of. Having said that, the league has to go through a process, and I think, as important as anything, is that it's a personal process that Rich and [wife] Terrin and their family would have to make. It's a major commitment."

BOW DOWN TO THE BLACK AND GOLD!!!!!
DIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:44 AM   #12
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

If Condoleeza gets the post maybe she will spearhead an invasion of the CFL - it might take 3 or 4 years of occupation and bloodshed but the Canada would be a much more liberated place to live afterwrds.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #13
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

If Dan Rooney was 15-20 years younger he would make the perfect NFL Commissioner....he's probably a little too old for the position now.

How appropriate that the last Lombardi Trophy Presentation by Paul Tagliabue was to
Mr. Rooney and the Steelers Organization?!?!
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:32 AM   #14
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Condi made a statement saying that, although it's her dream job, she's not interested "At this time".

Which means that in July, she may be interested.

Condi's resume:

Started College at age 15
Speaks 5 languages fluently
Has a PhD from the University of Denver in International Studies
Classically trained pianist
Authored 3 books
Has served in every President's administration in some capacity since Nixon

I'd say she'd make a fine NFL Commissioner.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #15
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Condi made a statement saying that, although it's her dream job, she's not interested "At this time".

Condi's resume:

Authored 3 books

There are alot of genius I would trust with a bb-gun. Just because your a fan and a very smart one at that doesnt make you a qualified canidate. I would much prefer someone who has worked in the front office of at least some professional sports team. Preferably one who has worked in football.
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:10 PM   #16
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim

Condi's resume:

Authored 3 books

I think Condi or Giuliani would do fine as NFL Commissioners.
Sure they don't have any NFL experience but Tagliabue was just an attorney for the NFL and Pete Rozelle was a PR person before they both took the position.
The thing that Rice and Rudy have that is valuable to the position is that they know how to deal and communicate with people at high levels of federal and local governments.....more than likely these people have egos, attitudes and are influential(have money).....which sounds like a majority of the 32 owners of the league.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,121 Times in 3,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
There are alot of genius I would trust with a bb-gun. Just because your a fan and a very smart one at that doesnt make you a qualified canidate. I would much prefer someone who has worked in the front office of at least some professional sports team. Preferably one who has worked in football.
i agree with ambridge. she has worked in the front office of our nation. working in the front office of a sports office would be small fries and boring according to her skills. being the commish would probably be like a hobby to her. the fact that as of now she would rather stick with her lower paying public service job says alot about her dedication. she meets with leaders of nations that want our head on a stick. meeting with the leader of the players association would be nothing. she would probably be the most overqualified person, let alone woman, to ever apply for an nfl job. now the real question is if 32 old school or glass ceiling corporate men would actually vote in a women, let alone minority, to head up what has always been seen as a mans game. she did take over for colin powell, and would have tagliabue to teach her the ins and outs for 2 years. its almost too bad shes not lobbying for the job. it would be interresting to see how it would all play out.

just watching pti and they brought this up. apearantly she told a close friend that it was bad timing and why couldnt tagliabue wait 2 more years to retire. sounds like she really was interrested.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #18
SteelerDan43
Banned
Supporter

Location: From Pittsburgh, currently going to school in Rochester
Member Number: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
i agree with ambridge. she has worked in the front office of our nation. working in the front office of a sports office would be small fries and boring according to her skills. being the commish would probably be like a hobby to her. the fact that as of now she would rather stick with her lower paying public service job says alot about her dedication. she meets with leaders of nations that want our head on a stick. meeting with the leader of the players association would be nothing. she would probably be the most overqualified person, let alone woman, to ever apply for an nfl job. now the real question is if 32 old school or glass ceiling corporate men would actually vote in a women, let alone minority, to head up what has always been seen as a mans game. she did take over for colin powell, and would have tagliabue to teach her the ins and outs for 2 years. its almost too bad shes not lobbying for the job. it would be interresting to see how it would all play out.

just watching pti and they brought this up. apearantly she told a close friend that it was bad timing and why couldnt tagliabue wait 2 more years to retire. sounds like she really was interrested.
She understands how the government is run and most big corp. like the NFL are run like a government. She would be very good in that sense but the part I dont trust her with would be the well being of the game... She may understand whats in the best interest of a town or gov. but thats not nessecarily the same as whats best for the NFL. She doesnt have an indepth knowledge of the issues something that someone in the league office for a while would. She may be a good CEO type of leader but the fact her knowledge of the NFL is limited to a fans perspective is the part that makes me think she would be a bad choice.
SteelerDan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,121 Times in 3,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerDan43
She understands how the government is run and most big corp. like the NFL are run like a government. She would be very good in that sense but the part I dont trust her with would be the well being of the game... She may understand whats in the best interest of a town or gov. but thats not nessecarily the same as whats best for the NFL. She doesnt have an indepth knowledge of the issues something that someone in the league office for a while would. She may be a good CEO type of leader but the fact her knowledge of the NFL is limited to a fans perspective is the part that makes me think she would be a bad choice.
i dont know how much of that stuff tagliabue knew when he took over. he was a lawyer, not a football exec. the labor and tv deal are set for about 6 years. tagliabue will stick around in an advisory role for the next 2 years. plenty of time for her to learn on the job before she had to do anything really BIG. if tagliabue has done as good of a job as hes been said to do the league should be able to run on autopilot for the next few years. it is an excellent job for anyone to step into. i bet if you give her 5 years against anyone to learn something in 5 years, she would come out on top 9 times out of 10.

while this will not happen, i definitely dont think it would be a bad thing.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:49 PM   #20
SteelerzGirl
Banned

Member Number: 689

Just about everyone out there has Ms. Rice on their minds as possibly being the next NFL Commish. This morning during Prez Bush's televised press conference, a reporter asked him if Condi was interested in the NFL Commish position. I was anxiously awaiting his response, but wouldn't you know that that's when NBC broke away as they considered the press conference ended at that point. Ugh! I wanted to know his answer...(lol).

I think Ms. Rice would do a fantastic job as the Commish, but I truly do think it's beneath her. She has so much going for her and I could honestly see her being in a much higher position in our country than NFL Commissioner unless she would get burned out and/or tired of politics. I guess we'll see what happens.

I don't see Rudy Giuliani as the NFL Commissioner at all, although he's a cool dude...(lol).
SteelerzGirl is offline   Reply With Quote