Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #1
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Cannucks Response to Americans Who Don't Like Seal Hunting? Bite It!

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/po...762f57&k=52863

Senator lashes out at seal-hunt protesters
Calls U.S. 'horrific' in letter to family that considered cancelling trip to Canada
ALLAN WOODSCanWest News Service

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Coming to the defense of Canada's seal hunt, a Liberal senator has lashed out at the United States' foreign policy, the Iraq war, the death penalty and the country's gun culture in an
email to an American family considering cancelling a vacation because they are opposed to the "horrific" annual cull.
"What I find 'horrific' about your country is the daily killing of innocent people in Iraq, the execution of mainly black prisoners in U.S., the massive sale of guns to U.S. citizens every day, the destabilization of the whole world by the aggressive foreign policy of U.S. government, etc.," Senator Celine Hervieux-Payette wrote in an email response to the McLellan family of Minnesota.
The initial March 12 letter, from Ann, Pam, Nancy and Dale McLellan to all Canadian senators, urges an end to the "horrific mass slaughter of innocent harp seals" and warns of a boycott on travel and Canadian seafood because the annual cull is "going against what we like about Canada."
The McLellans wrote they have "great respect" for the country because their "ancestors" were Canadians and they live near the Canada-U.S. border, but they are loathe to spend $8,000 on a vacation while the hunt goes on.
Hervieux-Payette's response, coming two days later, defended the harp seal hunt as an exercise in controlling the population and ensuring the livelihood of local hunters and fishermen.
"They are not killed for sport reasons like our deer, moose by Canadian and U.S. hunters," the senator from Montreal wrote. "You may visit us and you will see that we are a safe and humane society, respecting the traditions of the aboriginal people, not trying to impose the 'white people' standards of living on them."
The regulated, two-month hunt of the 5-million-strong seal herd is intended to keep the fast-growing population in check and to maintain the fish stocks on which Inuit and Atlantic Canadian fishermen earn a living.
Senator George Baker, a Newfoundland Liberal, deemed his colleague's response inappropriate, but he said it may have been influenced by her time on the Senate legal affairs committee, where members were subject to a fierce protest when they were studying a recent animal cruelty bill.
Brigitte Bardot will travel to Ottawa next week to protest against the seal hunt and try to meet with Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
The 71-year-old French actress, who is best known for her role in the 1956 movie Et Dieu ... crea la femme (And Woman was Created), is the head of Foundation Brigitte Bardot, which is dedicated to animal rights.
In a memo on her website from March 2005, Bardot calls for a total boycott of Canadian products and says she has collected more than 67,000 signatures on a petition to have the hunt stopped.
She said the recent increase in this year's hunt quota, to 325,000 seals from 320,000, is what sparked her into making the trip to Canada.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #2
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737
Default Re: Cannucks Response to Americans Who Don't Like Seal Hunting? Bite It!

I don't see what the big deal is. hunting them helps keep the population down I do not see anything wrong with it. Soon I will be told I'm not allowed to fish because its too inhumane. I bet these same people does not see anything wrong with the death pentaly; but its wrong to kill a mouse.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Cannucks Response to Americans Who Don't Like Seal Hunting? Bite It!

lol, silly Canadians.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #4
Webfactor8
Water Boy

Member Number: 1873

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucho58
I don't see what the big deal is. hunting them helps keep the population down I do not see anything wrong with it. Soon I will be told I'm not allowed to fish because its too inhumane. I bet these same people does not see anything wrong with the death pentaly; but its wrong to kill a mouse.
And they drive right by when you're broken down on the side of the road.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:51 AM   #5
pucho58
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1737

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfactor8
And they drive right by when you're broken down on the side of the road.
pucho58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:11 AM   #6
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

The Canadian Senator should have enrolled these pin-heads in a PETA Membership and sent them a pair of him-her Fur coats in response.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote