Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 03-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Questioning Ike?????

Is Ike over rated?? Just asking. When we get good pressure he is great. Without pressure is he still worth all the hype? Our the Steelers set on him? I`m not sure, so I thought I would ask!
Old 03-26-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: Questioning Ike?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
Is Ike over rated?? Just asking. When we get good pressure he is great. Without pressure is he still worth all the hype? Our the Steelers set on him? I`m not sure, so I thought I would ask!
IMO, I don't feel he is over rated. While he still has room for improvement, he's still young and will only get better over time. Pressure or no pressure, you don't shut down the likes of Marvin Harrison and Chad Johnson and still be considered over rated.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I feel the Steelers are set on him. He will be a Steeler next season and while I don't think we would break the bank in order to keep him, I also don't think we will have to break the bank in order to keep Ike Taylor.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

YES overrated... you can say that every player may or may not get better over time but at this point... yes overrated just because he has speed alot of people think he is second coming. I belive SI called him overrated as well so i dont feel i am the only one out there lol Maybe two of us ? lmao I like Ike, just just dont think he is or will be " one of the top corners in the game" I hope he will priove me wrong but when you see a player drop as many INt's as he did and yes he got beat as well and he missed some easy tackles.. hard for me not to say otherwise. I think Mcfadden will be a better corner than Taylor.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

no. charles woodeson is/was overrated. if ike is overrated i guess ben, m. starks, w. parker are too. theyre young. but with the steelers the value as a whole is greater than the sum of all its parts. all steelers will be a little higher rated to us fans cause we all saw the potential to be a sb winning team when everyone else thought it would never happen. hell, big ben was put in the choker category along with manning and cowher, cause of the afcc game loss last season. many thought ben was overrated. lets see ike take about 200 reps on the jugs machine every day after practice and improve on his int.,s next season. when the potential is there to have 10-12 int in a year, theres nothing overrated about that

who is underrated is darren perry the secondary coach.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #5
Midnightwriter1
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2182

ok fair enough, but until he does make those INT's and tackles a lil better... he is overrated in my opinion until he does those things. I would not view him as overrated unless people didnt call him "great". Again, Mcfadden will be a much corner than Taylor will i think.
Midnightwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Personally, I have not heard many Steeler fans or local sports writers (on here or locally) state that Ike is a "great" player. I have heard terms such as solid/dependable/good and then the youth factor normally follows and then finally, he will be great in time. That's about it.

When it comes to Sport Illustrated, they are about as dependable as the "experts" on ESPN. Sports Illustrated has not been following Ike Taylor's career. Hell, this is the same magazine that did not give us a shot after coming off a 15-1 season. Only when we started to make a run in the playoffs is when they decided to jump on our jocks. Before then, it was the Colts this, the Bungals that, the non-stop reminders that the Patriots still have a football team, etc. etc.

Also, I don't really recall Ike blowing tackles. I do recall dropped INT's, but his tackling did not seem to be a problem from what I witnessed this season. Maybe I'm missing something? The INT's can be worked on and changed. That's the plus. It's not a weakness that's impossible to fix.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

I do agree McFadden will be a better Playmaking corner than Ike and will be a bigger impact of the Defense as a whole, with Blitzing and run support, but I tihnk Ike may end up being one of the most solid CB's in the league.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Its all relative to cost

Ike plays hard. DO I want Ike back? Hell yes!

But do we turn down a first round pick this AND pay him too much (causing inflation for future contracts)? Hell no!
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Default Re: Its all relative to cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt
But do we turn down a first round pick this AND pay him too much (causing inflation for future contracts)? Hell no!
Just my opinon. The first round pick depends on what team is willing to give it up. Obviously it would not be a second or third, so it would not be worth it. I agree I'm not willing to break the bank on Ike, but this goes back to the assumption that teams are willing to blow large amounts of money in order to obtain Ike. The guy has only had one good season in his very young career. I'm not seeing many teams breaking the bank (counting us) in order to get Ike Taylor.

This is not a diss towards Ike, I think he will be very good, maybe even great in the future. Going by this past season, I really liked what I saw in his play. As I stated already, he does have room for improvement (much like every young ball player in the NFL), but all in time.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
no. charles woodeson is/was overrated. if ike is overrated i guess ben, m. starks, w. parker are too. theyre young. but with the steelers the value as a whole is greater than the sum of all its parts. all steelers will be a little higher rated to us fans cause we all saw the potential to be a sb winning team when everyone else thought it would never happen. hell, big ben was put in the choker category along with manning and cowher, cause of the afcc game loss last season. many thought ben was overrated. lets see ike take about 200 reps on the jugs machine every day after practice and improve on his int.,s next season. when the potential is there to have 10-12 int in a year, theres nothing overrated about that

who is underrated is darren perry the secondary coach.
When a defense is as good as the Steelers were,are, a good player may seem great in the scheme, or amongst 10 other great players. And I `m not saying that he is overrated, just asking