Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415
Default Not always fun being right

It's not always a gift to be right. I knew this game was likely
going to be won by Saints for all the reasons I gave. And
I guess I wasn't so out of whack in stating that the Saints
had a pretty good D of their own and maybe _their_ D would
be a factor in NO winning.

Well, we put up a paltry 10 points vs. their D, and, this just
in, you don't win too many NFL games if you don't score
more than 10 points. NO's D hounding our offense all
night; putting up a lame 10 points ain't gonna cut it. I
thought our D played well all night, but the O didn't do
it's job and, in the end, their D was too much for this
team to over come.

But, as losses go, this one doesn't bother me. Losing
to the current champs, in their house, on prime time,
national TV after they just had a lose isn't the end of
the world, not to mention, them being out of conf. and
out of div. makes the loss hurt less.

I pointed out how the Saints pass D was superior to ours,
and it sure looked that way, even though the Saints were down
to nearly zero CBs and were using all safeties to play CBs.

You'd think they would have been enough for Ben and co. to
take advantage, but it didn't turn out that way.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Re: Not always fun being right

Clownbylaw? Is that you? Did you get a new crystal ball?

Again, nobody was dissing on the Saints D (or the team as a whole). Everyone knew this would be a tough game and a tough test for the pass defense.

However, you are trying to refer to a discussion that had more to do with overall rankings being deceiving than anything else. I highly doubt anyone thought that this game was going to be a walk in the park...and while most would have loved a blowout win, getting one was 100% not going to happen.

It's silly to start making threads patting yourself on the back for stating the obvious though. Both teams have a good defense...despite the misleading overall rankings. Saints offense just held together better than the Steelers offense did. That's where I put the majority of the blame for the loss.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 11-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
thumper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Clownbylaw? Is that you? Did you get a new crystal ball?

Again, nobody was dissing on the Saints D (or the team as a whole). Everyone knew this would be a tough game and a tough test for the pass defense.

However, you are trying to refer to a discussion that had more to do with overall rankings being deceiving than anything else. I highly doubt anyone thought that this game was going to be a walk in the park...and while most would have loved a blowout win, getting one was 100% not going to happen.

It's silly to start making threads patting yourself on the back for stating the obvious though. Both teams have a good defense...despite the misleading overall rankings. Saints offense just held together better than the Steelers offense did. That's where I put the majority of the blame for the loss.
I guess you are forgetting some of the posts. Bottom line, I saw this loss coming, clearly. And lots of yinzers didn't have a clue. Some have vision, some don't. Whattayeagonnado?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Nope, didn't forget any of the posts...they're all right here. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=60829

Please point out where you were "lambasted" lol.

Besides...it's not like you were the first or last person to start a thread about how the Steelers pass D would have trouble with Brees. It's just, you were the only one who referred to overall pass D stats as a reference. Which, as pointed out in the mentioned thread, overall stats are misleading. That was true before the game, and it's true after the game.

Great "vision" on your part.

Like I said...all you did was state the obvious, which was basically 'Brees might give the Steelers pass D fits'. Brilliant "premonition". I'm sure you're the only one who thought that going into the game.

Funny you waited until after the game to back up your statements...when it was nice and safe lol.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
Old 11-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
thumper
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Nope, didn't forget any of the posts...they're all right here. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=60829

Please point out where you were "lambasted" lol.

Besides...it's not like you were the first or last person to start a thread about how the Steelers pass D would have trouble with Brees. It's just, you were the only one who referred to overall pass D stats as a reference. Which, as pointed out in the mentioned thread, overall stats are misleading. That was true before the game, and it's true after the game.

Great "vision" on your part.

Like I said...all you did was state the obvious, which was basically 'Brees might give the Steelers pass D fits'. Brilliant "premonition". I'm sure you're the only one who thought that going into the game.

Funny you waited until after the game to back up your statements...when it was nice and safe lol.
I had the stones to call my shots BEFORE the game, and not just in one thread, as you tried to sell. My main point wasn't it the Brees could pass on us, it was that the average fan was overlooking the Saints' D itself - that is was good and would cause us problems. I'd say limiting us to 10 points definitely proves that point out.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #6
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I had the stones to call my shots BEFORE the game, and not just in one thread, as you tried to sell. My main point wasn't it the Brees could pass on us, it was that the average fan was overlooking the Saints' D itself - that is was good and would cause us problems. I'd say limiting us to 10 points definitely proves that point out.
Again, all you did was point out obvious things. I.E. The Saints D is good and may cause the Steelers problems.

Yes, you said something that other people said as well...and then made a thread implying that you were the only right one and "us clueless yinzers" were wrong.

Well done...here's your

By the way, please note that I never said the Steelers would win and that Brees wouldn't be able to pass on our D. I merely pointed out that overall stats are misleading. A point, in which, you never did have "the stones" to be able to refute. You waited until after the game to make yourself look good. Meanwhile, there are others of us who know that looking at overall defensive stats and calling a game are not sound arguments. If it were a sound argument the Chargers would be unbeaten.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

By the way, I took a look (for posterities sake) at the threads made specifically about the Saints and the Steelers Pass D. The only one I found you posting in is the one I referenced to.

Take a look at all the "clueless yinzers" who were just as worried about this as you were.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=60813
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=60892
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=60934

Some thought the Steelers D would be able to hold the Saints in check (and for most of the game, they weren't wrong) and some had faith that the Steelers O would be able to pass well (which they SHOULD have been able to pass well...but had a shitty game).

There were a lot of differing opinions...but you're the only one to make a glory thread for yourself lol.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
steelerdave1969
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12338

You children are killing me. There was Not Only One Person here that thought there was a chance that the Saints would go wild on our Secondary. I thought they would and I thought it would have been alot worst. And if the Saints would have played 4 wide like they did at the end of the 1st half the whole game, the game wouldnt have been close. The Saints Defense played alot better than I expected and thats for sure, but the Saints Blitzed Almost Every Play in the 1st half its seems like and Ben didnt make the right calls in Protection and the WR's just werent reacting soon enough as Hot Reads. This is one game I am not too worried about it, but the Bengals are a pass happy team nowa days because their running game isnt what it was last year.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

He speaks uncomfortable truths, like clownbyflaw and Jesus Christ before him, and all of you people can't handle it.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Still cant get over how the Browns stuck it to em.....

Might as well dress em in skirts!
Closed Thread