Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296
Default Re: Tomlin regrets not challenging correct call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
Chicken little just go run around the block a few times.

Tell you what platypus. I'll bet when the Patriots come to Heinz field in a couple weeks they don't miss badly on any challenges.

Last edited by zulater; 11-02-2010 at 08:17 PM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
You have no idea how it works, how the Patriots work or any other team. Any claim otherwise is complete bs and nothing more. The only thing you're interested in is crucifying Tomlin et al by any means possible.
So Tomlin's poor record regarding challenges is coincidental?
Old 11-02-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
theplatypus
Team Owner

Member Number: 3329

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
So Tomlin's poor record regarding challenges is coincidental?
His poor record according to who? You? Anyways I get it you know all. You're the best evaluator of talent, offensive play calling, defensive play calling, play challenges, clock management............
I wish you the best of luck in that NFL career of yours.
theplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
His poor record according to who? You? Anyways I get it you know all. You're the best evaluator of talent, offensive play calling, defensive play calling, play challenges, clock management............
I wish you the best of luck in that NFL career of yours.
According to NBC, and Al Micheals and Chris Collingsworth.

And I don't claim to know anything that any other fan doesn't know who employs some common sense. According to the stats Big AL and Chris cited Tomlin sucks when it comes to challenges. In this last game whatever the proccess they have in place is, it failed them twice, and it negativley impacted the scoreboard.

And coaches get paid pretty damn well in case you didn't know.The have a responsability to get it right. And when they don't they deserve to be called on the carpet for it.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #15
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Geez...talk about going overboard.

If you don't agree with someones opinion of something, you don't have to make yourself look like a jackass doing so.

It was a bad decision not to throw the flag, and a lot of people feel that way.

But yes Zu, there were other contributing factors to it. Platypus mentioned one, that the jumbotron doesn't replay the plays that the home team might not want to be challenged (I'm betting the Steelers might do this sometimes too, I don't know). Another is where Tomlin is getting his information from. Here's a breakdown of what he said in his press conference.

Quote:
– Challenges were a big topic of discussion. Tomlin said if he sees a play on the field that he feels is worthy of a challenge, he will challenge it. If he gets information from above that tells him to challenge it, he will. If none of that happens, he’ll rely on the players on the field. Regarding the Mendenhall play at the goal line, he said there wasn’t much video evidence to make him challenge it, and none of the players on the field, including Mendenhall, did not feel it was worth challenging because none of them felt he crossed the goal line.
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/1...king-points-2/

Now fight nice guys...I don't want to see any hair on the floor or teeth marks on anyone later.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Geez...talk about going overboard.

If you don't agree with someones opinion of something, you don't have to make yourself look like a jackass doing so.

It was a bad decision not to throw the flag, and a lot of people feel that way.

But yes Zu, there were other contributing factors to it. Platypus mentioned one, that the jumbotron doesn't replay the plays that the home team might not want to be challenged (I'm betting the Steelers might do this sometimes too, I don't know). Another is where Tomlin is getting his information from. Here's a breakdown of what he said in his press conference.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/1...king-points-2/

Now fight nice guys...I don't want to see any hair on the floor or teeth marks on anyone later.
Excuses are like assholes.

This much I know, the majority of teams work the replay system better than us. Instead of telling us why it isn't working they need to find out why it's working better for other teams and get up to speed with them.

bottom line is we quite likely lost 4 points because we didn't challenge a play we should have. We also challenged a play we shouldn't have, and I'm still not convinced that the two aren't related inasmuch as you don't want to go into the second half out of challenges.

It needs to be fixed. I have little doubt they can't do better if they place some emphasis on it. Perhaps this will be the impetus for just such a move.? I sure hope so.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #17
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,137 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
Excuses are like assholes.

This much I know, the majority of teams work the replay system better than us. Instead of telling us why it isn't working they need to find out why it's working better for other teams and get up to speed with them.

bottom line is we quite likely lost 4 points because we didn't challenge a play we should have. It needs to be fixed.
Oh I agree. That was a fcuked up series of plays for sure, and knowing that he should have challenged makes it worse.

I tried looking up Tomlins percentage on challenges, and for the life of me, I can't find an exact number.

I do know that he went 2 for 7 in '07 (which is, of course, horrible). Then went 5 for 5 (sometime in the regular season...I think the Chargers game) in '08...but can't find any other numbers beyond that.

It's too bad that the players didn't push for a challenge though. You've got to wonder why that is? I think he would have done it if a bunch of them said they were sure. Who knows.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMom View Post
Oh I agree. That was a fcuked up series of plays for sure, and knowing that he should have challenged makes it worse.

I tried looking up Tomlins percentage on challenges, and for the life of me, I can't find an exact number.

I do know that he went 2 for 7 in '07 (which is, of course, horrible). Then went 5 for 5 (sometime in the regular season...I think the Chargers game) in '08...but can't find any other numbers beyond that.

It's too bad that the players didn't push for a challenge though. You've got to wonder why that is? I think he would have done it if a bunch of them said they were sure. Who knows.
I just want them to clean up the proccess so it doesn't happen again. Honestly I love Tomlin, I'm glad he's our coach, but somehow, someway the Steelers need to figure out what other teams are doing better than us when it comes to issuing challenges.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
You have no idea how it works, how the Patriots work or any other team. Any claim otherwise is complete bs and nothing more. The only thing you're interested in is crucifying Tomlin et al by any means possible.
Actually now I do know. Later in the chat that SCM previously cited Bouchette suggested the coaches bring a portable TV with rabbit ears. He said some reporter in the press box do that very thing.

Think the Patriots might have figured this one out? We're probably the only team that hasn't got this one figured.

Sorry I'm done now, just had to get it off my chest.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #20
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I think Bouchette was making a joke. All teams in the booths have access to the same replay angles. Bouchette does that quite often when giving his smartass answers to fans questions.
edit: I just found out this was apparently true. Doesn't make sense to me that we wouldn't be aware of only having the scoreboard feed.

I have to agree with Zu on this. We left 4 points on the field in a close game. I think Tomlin losing that first challenge made him gun shy to challenge the TD. It would have left us with no challenges through the rest of the game and Tomlin probably was banking on us slamming it in the endzone on the next play anyway. As it was, we didn't get it in the endzone and we never needed that last challenge.

Last edited by steelerchad; 11-03-2010 at 01:47 PM.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote