Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 AM   #21
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful
Default Re: Tomlin regrets not challenging correct call?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
The Steelers have been awful with reviews since Tomlin became coach. They challenge when they shouldn't, and often don't when they should. They need to "review" the whole proccess of how they go about things, because they aren't getting it close to right.
Yup. It's not up to the "standard". There are days when I miss Cowher.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #22
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Since the game, I found out it was a potentially challengeable play," Tomlin said Tuesday. "We didn't deem it to be one in the instance in which it occurred. There wasn't a bunch of video evidence available to us, and the guys on the field didn't seem to think it was a challengeable play, so we didn't."

The reason they had no video evidence is because there was no replay of Mendenhall's run on the coaches' box monitor. Under normal conditions, the coaches in the box would recommend to Tomlin whether to challenge or not after they saw the replay on network television.

Problem was, Sunday night in New Orleans, the Steelers' coaches weren't watching the NBC telecast in their box; the Saints' scoreboard video was shown on their television, as it was in many monitors around the stadium. In one auxiliary press box, a writer noticed this and asked it be changed to NBC and it was done.

There isn't a home scoreboard that will show a replay on a controversial play that officials on the field rule went the home team's way. It happened once in Heinz Field, Bill Cowher blew his top, and it never happened again.

So, if there was no replay of Mendenhall's run on the scoreboard, then there was no replay in the coaches' box because that is the feed they were watching. They could not advise Tomlin about it, and the head coach did not have a good enough view of it, so he passed on a challenge that everyone at home and in the Superdome press box could see was in question.

Tomlin said "it's possible" his coaches did not have the network feed on in the box and thus did not get a replay of the Mendenhall run. Sources confirmed they had the scoreboard feed on their TV.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307...#ixzz14DLs4ZwS

So let me get this straight, all it would have taken to get the network feed is someone among our coaches in that box to have the wherewithal to ask?

Even if they would have been denied, they've got to figure out something, even if it means putting a coach in a seperate box and or even a freaking hotel room for that matter and have him text someone when or when not to challenge if you're not getting a reliable feed to start with.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:46 AM   #23
zulater
Team Owner

Don't blame the Saints for any chicanery. All the Steelers' coaches had to do was request a channel change at any time, according to NFL spokesman Greg Aiello.

"It should be the network feed," Aiello wrote in an e-mail to the Post-Gazette. "If coaches are not getting it, they should have it corrected immediately. The referee only uses the network feed."

A Saints spokesman told the Post-Gazette Tuesday that all private booths, including those of the visiting coaches, are provided with high-def TVs that can be tuned to any channel, including the network broadcast of the game. Some coaches, he said, switch channels to other games around the NFL. The preference is theirs, and, if they needed assistance, all they had to do was ask.

Payton used his coaches upstairs to help him decide to challenge Randle El's touchdown. Payton has been right in four of his five challenges this season

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307...#ixzz14DSVyusn

Last edited by zulater; 11-03-2010 at 06:03 AM.
zulater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #24
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplatypus View Post
You have no idea how it works, how the Patriots work or any other team. Any claim otherwise is complete bs and nothing more. The only thing you're interested in is crucifying Tomlin et al by any means possible.
Well I think it's clear that the Steelers deserve some crucifying on this. Apparently all they needed to do was ask for a channel change to get the network feed according to an NFL spokesman. Are they so naive as to not realize that the scoreboard feed wouldn't give them any replays that might aid them? I mean we quite likely lost 4 points based on orginizational ineptness. Inexcusable. I'm sure it will be corrected now, but it should have never came down to this to begin with.

The fact is ( according to stats cited by NBC on the broadcast of that game) the Steelers are lower echelon in making correct challenges. This obviously didn't seem to concern them ( the Steelers) otherwise we never would have had the critical mass situation that occured twice on this past sunday happen.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #25
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,310 Times in 3,648 Posts

The failure to have the monitor in the coaches booth receive the NBC feed is in line being "surprised" that crowd noise might be an issue on Sunday night - as head coach Tomlin projects a good image but is in no danger of being accused of having an obsession with taking care of all the details

For someone in his 4th year as HC it is surprising how often Tomlin still is taken by surprise
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #26
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The failure to have the monitor in the coaches booth receive the NBC feed is in line being "surprised" that crowd noise might be an issue on Sunday night - as head coach Tomlin projects a good image but is in no danger of being accused of having an obsession with taking care of all the details

For someone in his 4th year as HC it is surprising how often Tomlin still is taken by surprise
On the crowd noise factor, I think Bouchette as much as said it without really saying it that Dome teams tend to cheat by amping the "crowd noise" above it's actual level. Anyone who thinks Sean Peyton is above that sort of thing doesn't know his coaching roots. It's a shame that the league lets these teams get away with this bullshit.

Speaking of which anyone remember that Saint, vicodan allegation made by a former decorated FBI agent?Probably not, and you can thank Goodell for that if you're a Saint's fan.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #27
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,310 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulater View Post
On the crowd noise factor, I think Bouchette as much as said it without really saying it that Dome teams tend to cheat by amping the "crowd noise" above it's actual level. Anyone who thinks Sean Peyton is above that sort of thing doesn't know his coaching roots. It's a shame that the league lets these teams get away with this bullshit.

Speaking of which anyone remember that Saint, vicodan allegation made by a former decorated FBI agent?Probably not, and you can thank Goodell for that if you're a Saint's fan.
Indy piped in crowd noise in the RCA Dome during the 2005 season - Steelers handled it in the playoff win that season by going to a silent count because they knew it ws coming and had a planned response

Since it is not unexpected that this sort of nonsense occurs a team with savvy coaches practices how to deal with it - that exludes what we saw Sunday night

As for the vicodin abuse, Goodell wants no part of anyone looking into what is in the NFL's medicine cabinets and neither does any team in the NFL - e.g. - I cynically fail to believe Aaron Smith's recurring muscle tears in his arms can only possibly be attributed to bad luck and dedicated workouts with free weights
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #28
zulater
Team Owner

Quote:
Indy piped in crowd noise in the RCA Dome during the 2005 season - Steelers handled it in the playoff win that season by going to a silent count because they knew it ws coming and had a planned response

Since it is not unexpected that this sort of nonsense occurs a team with savvy coaches practices how to deal with it - that exludes what we saw Sunday night

As for the vicodin abuse, Goodell wants no part of anyone looking into what is in the NFL's medicine cabinets and neither does any team in the NFL - e.g. - I cynically fail to believe Aaron Smith's recurring muscle tears in his arms can only possibly be attributed to bad luck and dedicated workouts with free weights
I understand what you're saying, and I'm not excusing the Steelers for not overcoming the crowd noise. I was just going off on a momentary seperate tangent for the league allowing that kind of bush league tactic to fly.

As for Aaron, if he's into HGH ( as you seem to be implying) then he's done it without leaving a paper trail behind him, to date anyway. I think what we're finding out is those that escape dectection through drugs tests will eventually be exposed when tghe dealer goes down, and most of them eventually do. Anyway until such time as Smith is implicated or tied in some way to HGH I'm not about to make that leap.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #29
plenewken
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 3447

Am I the only one who saw the ball popping out of Mendenhall's hands when he hit the ground? The ball crossing the line is one thing, but maintaining possession is another and I don't think Mendenhall had full possession of the ball.
It would have been tough to overturn the decision on the field IMO.
Anyway, remember that we were lucky in Miami when the zebras gave us the ball back after Ben's fumble on the goal line.

Can't we just put points on the board that are not questionable?
plenewken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #30
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Quote:

That is spot on. There really is no excuse at all at that level. As a leader you got to delegate that responsibility. I used to work as a producer and in such a capacity you need to manage current and potential risk. To help you do so you need to put proactive people in place who can forecast any possible problem that may arise. The absolute most basic need for the staff responsible is having the NBC feed sorted out at least 3 hours before kick off. If they can't figure that out by now, then quite frankly, I don't know what to say.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote