Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792
Default Why no sneak?

On the 1st and goal from the 2 inch line.
That seems to be the consensus among the few friends I've talked with after the game. I was calling for the sneak, multiple times if need be. Why get cute and hand the ball off against an 8 man front and risk losing yardage, which is what happened. Your best offensive lineman is argueably Pouncey and you have a 240lb + QB. I watched the replay of the first down play and Pouncey got a push on his man, but with more men coming through than could be blocked the slow developing handoff was stopped for a loss.
Ben goes in right behind Pouncey and if he gets slowed down then Redman needs to shove his butt into the endzone from behind. Yea, it's illegal. But I've seen it flagged exactly zero times in the NFL and it happens a lot.

I realize that since many were thinking sneak there, the Saints were probably thinking it also. But you only need Pouncey to get less than a 1 foot push on his man and it's a TD. Sometimes you just have to line up and beat the man in front of you. They may have thought it was coming, but they still have to stop it.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #2
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,365 Times in 566 Posts
Default Re: Why no sneak?

I wish I had video of it because I called that entire sequence on the goal line. We've seen it from Arians time and time again in those situations. The QB sneak is one of the most deadliest plays to stop on the inch line (wherever it may be.)

I said if we didn't QB sneak it right here, then we will be stuffed on all three plays. Sure enough, first play is a fullback trap to the left side, which the pull didn't work and their lineman came free, lost of yardage. Both other plays we lost big on big, stuffed.

No excuse to not use your 6'5, 245-250 pound QB to punch it in within a half an inch behind your big men. No excuse. They screwed themselves there.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

When's the last time Arians called a QB sneak... like seriously when? Ben is 6'5 and probably one of the stronger quarterbacks in the league... And the Center and the left guard are by far the strongest assets on that line, Ben behind them would be almost a guaranteed 1-2 yards.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Why no sneak? Because that would make sense that's why. If I'm Pittsburgh the very millisecond that the call gets overturned I line up and do a quick snap and plow ahead. Instead, they give the defense and the crowd a chance to get all jacked up and destroy our line. I just don't get it. Ben is 6'5" and 265lbs. There's no reason when it comes down to just inches to not doing a sneak. I think they were trying to play 'we got something to prove' football. They wanted to prove that they could run short yardage. They were proved wrong. They are wholly incapable.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

I don't plan on jumping on the Arians hate-wagon, but every fan in Steelers Nation had to be thinking the exact same thing. It's just amazing to me that it wasn't as obvious to the man getting paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to gain 2 inches! Seriously! Com'on Man! I think this was one of two huge turning points in the game. The Miller fumble, albeit not Miller's fault, was the other.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
I don't plan on jumping on the Arians hate-wagon, but every fan in Steelers Nation had to be thinking the exact same thing. It's just amazing to me that it wasn't as obvious to the man getting paid hundreds of thousands, if not millions, to gain 2 inches! Seriously! Com'on Man! I think this was one of two huge turning points in the game. The Miller fumble, albeit not Miller's fault, was the other.
I wouldn't say not Miller's fault. It certainly was his fault for not securing that ball before the hit. I think most will give Miller a pass on this as would I because he normally has excellent hands and ball security. Couple that with the spin move and quick hit on the ball thereafter and it could have happened to anyone. But if he secures that ball, I think we win that game.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

ONE WORD.......ARIANS !!!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

I think it was the "Crowd Noise". Arians can not think clearly in that enviroment!
Whodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Lady Steel
Queen Bee
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 5,721 Times in 2,197 Posts
My Mood: Angelic

Why no sneak? Because Arians is an asshole. Probably the last time a QB sneak was called was by Ben himself when running the no huddle.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,455 Times in 2,742 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

because it's easy. arians wanted to try and fool the world by attempting a slow-developing misdirection play instead of you know, plunging forward with a sneak or quick hitter which is almost guaranteed to gain the less than a foot distance needed

seriously a counter play when the defense has 11 on the line of scrimmage? fire arians. oh yeah doesn't help that esSUCKS totally didn't know it was the wrong play. It's the offensive coordinator's job to ensure everyone knows their shit, so that blame also goes to arians. partial blame goes to tomlin for not firing this piece of shit in the offseason
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote