Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-03-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,357 Times in 2,912 Posts
Default Polamalu: Goodell has too much power

First Roethlisberger, then Harrison, then Art Rooney II speaks out, then Tomlin says he could not care less about what the legaue think of the quality of play by his team, and now Troy speaks out - if the Steelers have the good fortune to win it all this year Goodell will not have many friends at the trophy presentation

I usually do not post entire articles from beginning to end, but Troy just keeps making too much sense so i post below the whole article with some bold highlights:

James Harrison was not immediately available today to speak about his trip to New York to meet with the NFL commissioner, but Troy Polamalu had a few things to say.

Polamalu, the Steelers' five-time safety, charged that commissioner Roger Goodell has too much power and said paranoia is rampant around the league since the NFL crackdown on certain hits by defenders.

"It's football, you know. If people want to watch soccer then they can watch soccer," Polamalu said during a lunchtime interview. "But, honestly, overseas when people are attracted to this game, they're going to see the big hits, they're not going to care about touchdowns and different things. So you're also taking apart what attracts people to this game."

Polamalu said he would not have wanted to have a meeting with Goodell to air his opinions, the way the commissioner gave Harrison a chance to do on Tuesday.

"Sometimes I think it just falls on deaf ears," Polamalu said. "I think a lot of players have said a lot of things and I guarantee you he heard everything everybody said.

"But, you know, he's got all the power; that may be part of the problem, that there needs to be some type of separation of power like our government
. There should be some type of players involved in decisions over how much people should be fined or what they should be fined for, as well as coaches, as well as front office people.

"I don't think it should be just totally based on what two or three people may say who are totally away from the game. I think it should be some of the players who are currently playing."

Asked if he thought officials were "paranoid" about calling penalties since the crackdown began two weeks ago, Polamalu said he was not sure.

"I don't know about the referees' decisions to maybe need to throw a flag but there is definitely a paranoia that is unneeded. Just because we had that weekend a few weekends ago which there were, I think somebody said, five hits out of 1,000. Yeah, I think there is too much paranoia."

Polamalu obviously does not agree with the NFL's crackdown.

"Do players need more protection? I don't know. I think in certain instances, yeah, but I don't think you can just completely make every type of hit obsolete, from horse collar tackling to whatever kind of tackling it is. You just can't control some of these factors.

"Like James' big problem was, If I'm aiming for his chest and he lowers his head, that shouldn't be a fineable hit."

Polamalu, echoing Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's sentiments a few weeks ago, said there is no confusion among the players as to what the NFL wants.

"No, I don't think there's any confusion. I just think the problem is that they're wrong."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307/1100342-66.stm
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,991 Times in 901 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Polamalu: Goodell has too much power

AMEN BROTHER
fer522 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Putting it down.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

And I think this is why we haven't seen the same Troy the past couple of games... I don't think he has the heart for it anymore. Not saying he can't have the love for the game again, but I just don't think it's there right now.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,765 Times in 1,790 Posts

Expect a fine coming Troy's way.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

I dont like these rules at all!! We are a very aggressive hard hitting team...if you make every hit questionable and under a microscope with the possibility of a suspension then you are taking away from the aggressiveness and ultimately just an average defense. Look...these are professional athletes that were taught the right way to tackle and hit or they wouldnt be professionals leave it at that....if its so damn obvious then yeah fine the player but damnit your going too far if you suspend...they are acting like this is midget league or high school football where you see developing techniques. This will get worse before it gets better. I just hope goodell and harrison had a good meeting and james doesnt retire.
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,536 Posts

goodell shouldn't be the judge jury and executioner. they should have a review board , maybe 5 or 7 people to rule on these things. kinda like a jury. but i don't think it should be made up current players. too much chance for bias. i'd go with retired players.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
goodell shouldn't be the judge jury and executioner. they should have a review board , maybe 5 or 7 people to rule on these things. kinda like a jury. but i don't think it should be made up current players. too much chance for bias. i'd go with retired players.
Absolutely....or a combination of players past and present...

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Absolutely....or a combination of players past and present...
like i said , players from the present might not be able to be unbiased. would you think it would have been a good idea to have a browns player in on deciding harrisons fate ? or a bengals player deciding on harrisons punishment the week before they play each other ? would a current steelers player vote to suspend a fellow teammate ?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #10
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

This is total horse shit...makes me wonder if the government somehow hasnt got involved!
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote