Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
SteelCityMom
MST3K Junkie

Member Number: 16666
Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,123 Posts
Default Harrison Speaks

Harrison speaks
November 3rd, 2010
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...rrison-speaks/

Outside linebacker James Harrison talked about his meeting Tuesday with commissioner Roger Goodell on illegal helmet to helmet hits. Here is a transcript of what he said to reporters after practice.

Q: Was the meeting productive?

A: I guess so. It was just for him to hear my side of things, my understanding of the rules and for them to (help) me understand exactly what the rules are as far as the concerns with helmet-to-helmet contact. So, I spoke my mind. They said what they had to say, and I guess it was a semi-productive meeting. I came away with a better understanding, and I think they got a better understanding of how I see things."

Q: Do you feel like you are a marked man?

A: I don't know, but at times it might seem like it. But I don't know.

Q: How tough is it considering you have played a certain way for so many years?

A: I guess you have to adapt, but it's not really that much of a change. The only thing that I have a real issue with is trying to adjust to an adjustment that an offensive player has already made. That's what I have an issue with, there being consequences and repercussions for something that (the defensive player) can no longer control. If a guy ducks his head at the last minute, right as you're about to hit him, you can't really adjust to that.

Q: How did Goodell react when you expressed this to him?

A: The response was that I'm a defensive player, and I'm responsible for whatever happens when I make contact with an offensive player. So, hopefully, we now have a better understanding.

Q: How much does the support from your teammates mean to you? A: It's what I would you expect from my teammates. (And) its not like I did anything blatant or was trying to injure someone, so its what I expect from my teammates. And I would do the same for them.. There's going to be certain circumstances where you might back off from a certain play when you consider what the outcome might be.

Q: How about the support of fans who have sent money to the league for you as part of a Facebook campaign to protest your fine for the hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi?

A: Its great, but its really not about the money. Its about the actual act of fining me. The amount is not the issue. You're fining me for what I didn't think was an illegal hit. Thats the Massaquoi hit. As far as the most recent hit (on Drew Brees), it may have been a little late. So, I can understand and see if I was fined for that. But if it wasnt for the Massaquoi hit, I don't think I'll get a call in concerning the Brees hit.

Q: How serious were you when you said you were considering retiring a couple of weeks ago?

A: I was dead serious, but after you sit back and think about it, it was off an emotional charge. And I didnt really have time to do what I needed to do, and that was think about the whole situation. So, after sitting back and thinking about it, it wasn't a good idea."

http://forums.steelersfever.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=16666&dateline=129531  3365
SteelCityMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,846 Posts
Default Re: Harrison Speaks

Quote:
Q: How did Goodell react when you expressed this to him?

A: “The response was that I'm a defensive player, and I'm responsible for whatever happens when I make contact with an offensive player. So, hopefully, we now have a better understanding.”
Translation : Your screwed, you will be fined and/or suspended.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

I totally agree with Harrison...YOU CANNOT CONTROL IF AN OFFENSIVE PLAYER DUCKS HIS HEAD AT THE LAST SECOND PLAIN AND SIMPLE!!!! Sorry for the caps but this absolutely enrages me and if we have harrison and now polamalu already speaking publicly about this then we are screwed because we are gonna be gunshy! Our last 2 superbowl victories were basically on our defense....no disrespect to ben and our offense but its the truth! Defense wins championships!!
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

So why is Harrison the target of comment, Is Goodell going to call out others that make a so called bad hit. I dont see others being named for the same situation.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Steeler4life1972
Banned

Member Number: 17121

Im beginning to believe that the league is anti-steelers since everyone wrote us off bec of the Ben suspension and now see we could be SB contenders...very suspicious!!!
Steeler4life1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,455 Times in 2,742 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

the guy who went helmet to helmet on hines won't get fined but i bet money if hines laid him out in a block, he'd have been fined already
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,095 Times in 569 Posts

Goodell can eat (bleep) and die. Im sick of talking about the commissioner every (bleep) damn week..
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

I find nothing productive in any of that
Whodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

meeting was semi-productive = meeting went nowhere and was a waste of time

The league is just wrong on this one. They pick and choose who they fine.
They "pick" the hits they "deem" as illegal. Its seems ok for an offensive player (running back, ST unit, etc) to ram a defensive player head-first and "no problem", and what the hell do you do when you're a defensive player and at the last second the person w/the ball ducks and you mistakenly hit him with your helmet? You gonna get fined for that?
It's ridiculous....being in the front office you can't get in someone's head and judge somebody or ducking players, etc. They're really playing God on this one. It's both disgusting and frustrating at the same time.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
zulater
Team Owner

Member Number: 5296

Tomlin needs to get this teams focus off New York and commish Feckall and onto our next opponent the Bengals. We're allowing this puke to be a distraction. If I'm Tomlin I tell the boys play hard, play fair, I've got your back, and we'll let the chips fall where they may. But let's not speak that mf'er in New York's name again until we're on the podium accepting our next Lombardi!