Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280
Default Not your typical Browns?

The friggen browns didn't just beat two playoff teams in a row....they pounded both of them. There was no last second heroics, gift from the officials, or fluke play to get them over. They beat the Pats and the Saints soundly.

Yes we beat them pretty good. But I was looking at their schedule and I'm thinking damn....these are not the Browns we all know and love.

They have losses to the Bucs (3points), Chiefs (2points), Ravens (7points), Steelers (18points), and Falcons (10points). They were within one score from beating 3 other legit playoff teams. I'm wondering what our record would be if we had that same schedule. Hopefully the Jets next week can remind them who they are. Because after that it gets much easier for the Brownies. (Jags, Panthers, Dolphins, Bills, Bengals....before finishing w/ us and the Ravens) If the Browns beat the Jets....they could realistically be 9-5 by the time we play them again. lol

But then again they are the Browns. I fully expect a devastating injury to some of their key players which will put them right back in their place....not that I wish it on them.....it's just inevitable. After all they are the Browns.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850
Default Re: Not your typical Browns?

It's the Browns pre 1990's. Browns make very good mid season adjustments. Last year they were terrible first part of the year, but even though they went 4-4 the 2nd half of the year, the losses weren't by much and the wins were against good teams.

And when Crennel was the coach in 2008, they were a good team, losing by 10 points or less in 6 games, most of the games were close except down the stretch the team just gave up
Year before that, 2007, they just missed the playoffs at 10-6.

Browns have been a team with a lot of talent for a while now, but they just haven't had that much luck. McCoy and Hillis seem to bring this offense some life and Ryan coaching the defense has been solid. They are a contender this year, but the AFC Is very good I doubt they make the playoffs even with a 10-6 record. Next year they will be very strong unless Ryan becomes a head coach for another team or someone important gets injured.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
ZoneBlitzer
Team President

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionslicer View Post
It's the Browns pre 1990's. Browns make very good mid season adjustments. Last year they were terrible first part of the year, but even though they went 4-4 the 2nd half of the year, the losses weren't by much and the wins were against good teams.

And when Crennel was the coach in 2008, they were a good team, losing by 10 points or less in 6 games, most of the games were close except down the stretch the team just gave up
Year before that, 2007, they just missed the playoffs at 10-6.

Browns have been a team with a lot of talent for a while now, but they just haven't had that much luck. McCoy and Hillis seem to bring this offense some life and Ryan coaching the defense has been solid. They are a contender this year, but the AFC Is very good I doubt they make the playoffs even with a 10-6 record. Next year they will be very strong unless Ryan becomes a head coach for another team or someone important gets injured.
Good points. I have been very impressed with the Browns. For me, at this moment, they are by far the best coached team in the league. Everything that they are scheming up is working. It's refreshing to see some creativity in coaching and to see it well executed by the players. That wildcat formation with the lineman all standing was just brilliant. Also, their D coach, has been doing a heck of a job. I also like the guts of the McCoy kid and Hillis is like some kind of throw back player out there. Mangini has certainly taken his lumps over the years as has that organization but even as a Steeler fan, its good to see them get some success even if it means we have to play their pissed off opponents on the following week.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
SoCalFan
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14860
My Mood: Buzzed

Sounds like everyone feels sorry for them?That was actually a good win for us considering possible home field advantages.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:29 AM   #5
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,286 Times in 650 Posts

Its not an accident that since McCoy came in they started playing better. Even though he isn't throwing 300 yards a game and throwing 3 TDs a game, he is the winningest QB in college football history. Winners tend to bring the winning ways to teams. McCoy is going to be a star one day....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Speaking as a former resident of Northern Ohio, I can assure you that you are all getting way ahead of yourselves. The Brownies will suck once again, very badly, very soon. They don't have any choice in the matter. These little victories staggered here and there are merely for the purpose of raising hopes back home so as to dash them on the rocks below.

We can end this thread now.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

yup, but the BROWNS did beat the crap outta' those Pats. (and that makes me happy)
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
WeegiesWarriors
Banned

Member Number: 13183

They finally built an oline and it is paying dividends. But, somebody will remind Peyton Hillis that he is Peyton Hillis eventually. I don't think you can last in the NFL anymore playing his style of running. Maybe this year, but safeties shooting at his knees will take it's toll. 29 carries yesterday? No way does he withstand that, and at this point that many carries is required of him for the browns to win.

McCoy will get figured out. The NFL is strewn with ex-QBs that taste initial success. Then D-coordinators get some film on them and quickly figure out their weakness. Every team had a chance to draft the "winningest QB in college history" at least twice before he was taken. There is a reason for that.

Yesterday they gave an uninspired Pats team an arse whippin' no doubt. But not the Saints. It took a dlineman two Pick 6's to beat them. You can't count on that everyday.

They were in serious scouting mode of Andrew Luck and Jake Locker to pick high in round 1 next year. Now if Colt actually has some success they may decide not to, and I can see him getting lit up next year if not yet this year. Plus Rob Ryan will be a head coach next year based on the Ryan-factor alone. I see them toying with their fans the whole offseason thinking they'll be going to the Super Bowl only to backslide like a heroin addict to 5 or 6 wins (if they even get that this year).
WeegiesWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

i wouldn't get all jacked up that the Browns are all of a sudden this really good team. Slow down.
I think we can all safely say that neither the Saints nor the Pats went into either one of those games w/100% intensity. Happens all the time, good teams play poor teams and end up winning because the other side isn't putting their heart into it.

On the other hand, the Saints were all fired up to beat Pittsburgh and look what happened.
I'm still on the side that says Mangini is one of the worst 2 or 3 coaches in the NFL and pretty well disliked by players as well.
They threw some confusing defensive schemes....so what? Other teams will adjust to that very quickly.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
lionslicer
Team President

Member Number: 12850

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i wouldn't get all jacked up that the Browns are all of a sudden this really good team. Slow down.
I think we can all safely say that neither the Saints nor the Pats went into either one of those games w/100% intensity. Happens all the time, good teams play poor teams and end up winning because the other side isn't putting their heart into it.

On the other hand, the Saints were all fired up to beat Pittsburgh and look what happened.
I'm still on the side that says Mangini is one of the worst 2 or 3 coaches in the NFL and pretty well disliked by players as well.
They threw some confusing defensive schemes....so what? Other teams will adjust to that very quickly
Doubt it, Rob Ryan has had a top defense since he's been a coordinator, even with the Raiders and the terrible players that were drafted or ended up there, he seemed to have that defense up and running and he's doing it with the Browns. He doesn't get credit because it was the raiders and the now its the browns, but he's as good of a coach as LeBeau, and if he was ever on a superbowl winning team, or atleast a play-off team people would be praising him.

I'm not hoping on any Brown band-wagon, I know they don't have the best franchise luck, especially since they fired Paul Brown which is like the Babe Ruth trade, it will haunt the franchise forever. But I don't like to doom every player that goes there, I hope Hillis and McCoy have good careers and put up some good games against the Steelers so the rivalry isn't just some automatic win for the Steelers every year.
lionslicer is offline   Reply With Quote