Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 03-12-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Cowher present at OSU pro day

Bill Cowher and coach LeBeau were at Ohio State's pro day. Here is a list of the players that worked out, and how they performed...

Quote:
There were five head coaches present -- Pittsburgh's Bill Cowher, Chicago's Lovie Smith, Detroit's Rod Marinelli, Cleveland's Romeo Crennel and the Giants' Tom Coughlin -- and about 100 team scouts and representatives. The players ran outdoors on a strip of extremely fast AstroTurf that has been down there for some years. Ohio State held it's "Junior Day" where a large number of high school juniors, who are turning seniors, were invited to watch the workouts.

1. LB A.J. Hawk - Hawk was clocked at 4.49 and 4.42 in the 40.

2. WR Santonio Holmes - Holmes weighed 179 pounds -- nine less than he did at the Combine -- and he was timed at 4.34 and 4.36 in the 40. He also ran 4.26 in the short shuttle and 6.83 in the cone drill and had a 38-inch vertical jump and 10-foot-6 long jump.

3. LB Bobby Carpenter - Carpenter is only 90 percent healthy, according to trainers, but he ran the 40 in 4.66 and 4.68, the short shuttle in 4.31 and the three-cone drill in 6.88. He also did 20 strength reps. Carpenter looked very good in his position drills.

4. FS Nate Salley - Salley ran the 40 in 4.50 and 4.56.

5. LB Anthony Schlegel - Schlegel was timed at 4.79 and 4.76 in the 40.

6. OT Rob Sims - Sims did not run at the Combine and he pulled up again in the 40 with the same right hamstring problem. But before the injury, Sims ran 1.75 in the 10-yard dash and 2.87 in the 20-yard sprint. Although he pulled up, he was able to do the position drills, running 7.52 in the short shuttle and 4.79 in the cone drill. He also had a 30-inch vertical jump and an 8-foot-10 long jump.

7. SS Donte Whitner - Whitner was clocked at 4.39 and 4.37 in the 40.

8. CB Ashton Youboty - Youboty ran the 40 in 4.43 and 4.45, 4.18 in the short shuttle and 6.96 in the three-cone drill. He also had a 36-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot long jump and did 11 lifts.

Last edited by BB2W; 03-12-2006 at 01:25 AM.
BB2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Cowher present at OSU pro day

You know, Nate Salley would be an interesting repacement for Hope (if it came down to Chris leaving)...he hits like a tons of bricks.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
You know, Nate Salley would be an interesting repacement for Hope (if it came down to Chris leaving)...he hits like a tons of bricks.
I thought about that too... he didn't make may plays on the ball but he was a solid safety. They were probabaly there to look at Carpenter, but you know they got a glimpse of the others as well.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:36 PM   #4
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

He wasn't on the pro day list but I hope the Steelers take Nick Mangold with their first pick if he's still available.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
tootalltoscore
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 358

I totally agree Ambridge, he would be a great pick for the future learning from Hartings, assuming he restructures.
tootalltoscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Again, Okobi has been promised the job, so I can't see any scenario in which the Steelers pick Mangold...believe me, nobody would like to see the pick more, but I just don't see it happening...
Old 03-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Again, Okobi has been promised the job, so I can't see any scenario in which the Steelers pick Mangold...believe me, nobody would like to see the pick more, but I just don't see it happening...
Okobi has been promised the job???

I missed out on hearing about that.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

There's a link lying around here somewhere. Hartings and Okobi will both be on the roster next year.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,678 Posts

http://postgazette.com/pg/06072/669493.stm

Backup center Chukky Okobi extended his contract by two years through 2009, giving him four years at $10.5 million. He took a pay cut of $700,000 in salary this year to $1.3 million but received a $715,000 signing bonus. He will receive salaries of $3.25 million in 2008 and $3.75 million in 2009.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as far as mangold, i was listening to denny green on the radio thismorning and he really seemed to be drooling over him. it could be a smokescreen but he even went as far to speculate if mangold would still be there when they picked. im sure he will. many had az taking a rb but now that they got james they can look elsewhere. (i think they go defense but if green feels mangold is the best player on the board history says he wont hesitate in drafting him)
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
as far as mangold, i was listening to denny green on the radio thismorning and he really seemed to be drooling over him. it could be a smokescreen but he even went as far to speculate if mangold would still be there when they picked. im sure he will. many had az taking a rb but now that they got james they can look elsewhere. (i think they go defense but if green feels mangold is the best player on the board history says he wont hesitate in drafting him)
Mangold in Arizona sounds sensible.
The Cardinals had the worst rushing offense in the league last year and if they want to give James a chance to succeed they need to do something to improve their offensive line.