Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Reed hopes to put recent misses behind him

Reed hopes to put recent misses behind him
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_707939.html#
By John Harris
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 6, 2010

Jeff Reed keeps thinking about missing a total of three field goals against Baltimore and New Orleans in the Steelers' only two losses this season.

"I'm ready to get back on track," said Reed, who has converted 12 of 17 field goal attempts in 2010. "It's like great game, average game; great game, average game. And it's never really been like that."

Reed carried an 83.3 percent field-goal conversion rate (189 of 227) into this season.

Now in his ninth year, Reed, along with Cleveland's Phil Dawson who's in his 12th season with the Browns are rare. They're kickers who have played all or the majority of their careers with one team.

"It's weird playing Cincinnati, and Shayne Graham's not their kicker," Reed said of his long-time rival, who missed two field goals in the Bengals' wild card playoff loss to the New York Jets and was released by Baltimore prior to the start of this season. "And when Matt Stover's not in Baltimore, it's different."

Other kickers who have played several years with the same team include Philadelphia's David Akers (12 seasons), Oakland's Sebastian Janikowski (11), San Diego's Nate Kaeding (seven) and Chicago's Robbie Gould (six).

"It's tough to do that anywhere, no matter if you're kicking in a dome, in great weather or bad weather," Reed said. "I cherish it, because I'm not the strongest kicker in the league, but I like to be consistent. You know what you're getting when you have me on your team. I think consistency speaks louder than hitting a 55-yard field goal here and there.

"If you make the kicks you're supposed to make, you can stay around the league for a long time."

Several kickers on NFL rosters this season have played with other teams before joining their current squad, including Minnesota's Ryan Longwell, formerly with Green Bay; Seattle's Olindo Mare (Miami), Houston's Neil Rackers (Arizona), St. Louis' Josh Brown (Houston), Cincinnati's Mike Nugent (New York Jets) and the Jets' Nick Folk (Dallas).

Despite kicking the winning field goal for New Orleans in last year's NFC Championship Game, Garrett Hartley saw his job status threatened after he missed a field goal in overtime against Atlanta and the Saints countered by adding veteran John Carney.

Carney kicked three field goals in a win over Carolina, but the Saints released him after he missed a 29-yard field goal in a loss to Arizona.

"That's what great about the Steelers. They hire you and stick behind you because they know you're capable," Reed said. "They also know you're not perfect. There's some organizations ... Dallas ... as a rookie, Nick Folk went to the Pro Bowl (in 2007). Then he struggled. Instead of sticking with him, they cut him. They've been through a series of kickers, and he's doing great with New York."

Reed said he has recovered mentally after missing 49- and 45-yard field goals in the third quarter of a 17-14 loss to Baltimore on Oct. 3. He's trying not to dwell on missing a 51-yarder in a 20-10 loss at New Orleans this past Sunday.

"I think, initially, I was putting too much pressure on myself because I felt like I had to be perfect to get what I wanted," said Reed, who expressed his frustration in training camp on not signing a new contract entering the final year of his current deal. "If I have a (new) five-year deal going into this year and I'm 12 for 17, I'm not as worried about it as being in your last year trying to prove yourself.

"At the same time, I'm not happy with my stats. But last week was last week. I go from hitting the game-winning (19-yard field goal) at Miami (two weeks ago) to missing a 51-yarder that could have changed the game," Reed said. "It's been a bit of an up and down season. Out of the five kicks I've missed, four of them I hit perfect."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,052 Times in 2,588 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Reed hopes to put recent misses behind him

the paper towel pugilist better start winning games if he wants that new contract
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
MikeHaullace
Starter

Member Number: 16733
Cool Re: Reed hopes to put recent misses behind him

No way Reed is a Steeler next season.
MikeHaullace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
steelerohio
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 14925

Shape up or ship out...
Old 11-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #5
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Wait... "HOPES TO"?!?!?!?

Reed=Gone.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
NYC_Steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16763

I hope he does put them behind him - as in his rear-view mirror whe he gets kicked off the team. The Steelers need to draft a young kicker with accuracy and a powerful leg. Easier said than done, I know. But there's always hope.
NYC_Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
steelcity1974
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9669

Something is wrong with his technique. It seems like he tries some kind of weird, leaning, side-volley/slap shot kick instead of approaching the ball with his body more vertical and following straight through on his kicks. It's like he's trying to compensate for his lack of distance with a weird kick. Just look at the ones he's missed (55, 40, 49, 45, 51). Other than the 40 yarder, which would have won the game in regulation v. Falcons, all of these are very long kicks for Reed. And that's his problem...he doesn't have a leg...so he tries to compensate for it with his kicking style. He's gotten away with it in the past, but this year we are attempting a lot of long FGs and he is exposed. If we want a kicker that is money from 39 yards and in...Reed is our guy...he VERY rarely misses the easy kicks.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

One wish i have this year is for Pittsburgh to CUT Reed.
I am SO sick and tired of the last 2 or 3 years, being p***ed off all the time because he only boots kickoffs to the 15 and our opponents run it back to like the 40, 45....
Over and over again.

On a lighter note, how about his "sissy" attempts to try and tackle runners on run-backs. Its absolutely hilarious. He did it again, i think it was 2 weeks ago.
He looks like a little girl out there, its really funny.
Even other kickers make a better effort to try and "last-resort" tackle someone or knock someone down.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
markymarc
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 2292

Jeff Reed really needs to step up his game and stop missing field goals. IMO he has been the most disappointing Steelers player this season.
markymarc is offline   Reply With Quote